Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 22,207 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Beacon, NY to raise our family. However, we have heard mixed opinions on this city. I was hoping to gain a bit more information - any info would help and be greatly appreciated!

We've been warned that Beacon is a very "spotty" city and not an ideal location to raise a family. We were told although we may live in a beautiful house, we'll find "the hood" (for lack of better description) just down the road. We've driven through the city on several occassions and we thought it seemed very well kept up and the people seemed decent. No thugs or other such caliber as warned...

My fear is that we'll committ to a purchase and end up not being able to sell if the neighborhood is undesirable. What good is a beautiful home if you can't feel safe on the streets! Also, I'm concerned that once my son is old enough to start school (he's only a toddler) - it will not be safe, etc. Unfortunatly, we are new to NY (from FL) and don't really know anyone in the area we can turn to for advice.

Thank you again for any information and help!!!!!!!!

Last edited by kriszs; 09-20-2006 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: Added more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 09:41 AM

96 posts, read 457,774 times
I have family there and they have moved upstate for those very reasons. They are closer to Red Hook now. In any city you should check the local crime stats (there is usually a web site for them in every state). If you are uncomfortable with personally asking neighbors in the area, talk to several realtors about your chioces. Check with nearby restaurants and shops to get a sense of the local population. A drive through approach won't tell you what you are most worried about. Hope this helps.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:07 PM

8 posts, read 50,434 times
Hi. I have lived in Beacon for most of my life. We liked it so much that we moved from Beacon to another part of Beacon where we built a new home. After being in the new home for 3 years, we have to move because of a new job my husband took. I cried for two weeks. This city (it isn't really a city) is beautiful. I live on the southern tip of Beacon in a beautiful subdivision. This subdivision is so safe that when we went away for one week this past summer and forgot to lock the doors, nothing was touched. Beacon has many people who moved away and returned. My children have had great teachers and truly love the schools. Beacon also has the best walking trails I have ever seen. The Main Street is loaded with great places to eat and shop. Climbing Mount Beacon is also a treat. Once up there, you will feel like you are on vacation. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:56 AM

2 posts, read 25,289 times
Default Re: Beacon,ny.

I was born and raised in dutchess county. Beacon as well as newburgh and the city of poughkeepsie have always been regarded as having "hood" neighborhoods, although all 3 towns have very well to do neighborhoods as well. This seems to be due in part that all 3 towns are close to the train station and an easy way to allow drugs into the community from new york city.

Dutchess county has had a flood of newcomers to the area since 9/11 mostly people from westchester county and new york city looking to get away from the threats of terrorism and the high cost of living south of dutchess county. Unfortunately, dutchess county has become westchester and NYC's solution to overpriced housing and taxes and has caused an increase in our real estate market. Dutchess County is still a safe and wonderful place to raise a family.

If I were you I would further my search to some other towns in dutchess county that really bring you into the heart of the county. Some really nice towns are the Town of Poughkeepsie (spackenkill school district is still the smallest school district and the best school as far as the test scores go, arlington is a big district but I think they do a great job in meeting the needs of students) You should visit the schools that are in the town you want to live in. If you are looking for a smaller town to live in and looking for a more rural setting, Rhinebeck and Millbrook are tops. I happen to love Millbrook, although more expensive to live than the other towns, because of a lot of wealthy and famous people live there, the hood is definately NOT there. The Dutchess County Fair is held every August at the Rhinebeck Fair Grounds and a fun thing to do.

My family and I left this place 11 years ago to make a go of things down south and I was MISERABLE. The heat and humidity nearly killed me. Give me a blizzard to weather any day than 95 degree heat and humidity for 5 months! I missed the beautiful fall here in new york and yes...Even missed shoveling snow! I am so glad we moved back 8 years ago so our kids get to experience a year of 4 different seasons. And I really think the schools are better up north. If you do not like cool weather this is not the place for you, if you like warmer weather you should check out new jersey, point pleasant beach is a great little beach town to raise your family also. We have been vacationing there for many years and if did not move back here we would have gone there. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:29 PM

667 posts, read 1,744,024 times
My wife and I moved 6 months ago accross the river, in Newburgh, which is Beacon x 20. We had a 5 month old at the time and really had to consider a number of things. We're glad we made the decision. We love the area. There are things we also dislike but you learn to see beyond some of the troubles.
However, having grown up in NYC, the transition was not as chaotic as I would have thought (and as it may be for someone from FLA). Many of the midhudson communities (Newburgh, Kingston, Poughkeepsie
and Beacon) have many similarities to large urban cities, while also offering more of a 'community focused' environment.

Beacon was no more then 5-7 years ago, an 'undesirable' location. Much of it was attributed to drug crimes and poverty --both of which still exist. But also one that has been reduced quite a bit. It's no different then living in Park Slope, Brooklyn or living in the Upper East Side in Manhattan, where you have high concentrations of poverty and wealth in a relatively short space.
If you're looking for an "all-white/all-american" experience, then Beacon probably isn't for you. It is a richly diverse city which is getting very popular amongst the NYC yuppies looking for a 2nd home. Prices have increased exponentially over the last number of years but homes are still within reach. It is a sure investment bet as far as real estate property goes.
NYState has made it a practice to support the East Hudson Cities much more then the West Hudson Cities. So, I say it's a pretty darn good bet. You have a Metro-North Station, 2 major Interstate Highways , an intl airport -- all no more then 10 miles away!
Is there crime. yes. Is there improvement. heck, yes. Do I recommend you walk down Main St at 2AM, no - but then again I would say the same for pretty much any place.
Truth is, if you are willing to look beyond some of the 'issues' that face the city then you'll be more then fine. You can always opt to try it out and if you feel that bad about it you can sell and move out…you wont have a problem selling your home in Beacon. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2007, 10:34 PM

37 posts, read 220,128 times
beacon is a quaint little town on the hudson. nice homes and only main street is seedy but they have cleaned it up tremendously. you can find all kinds of artsy people there at night time going to the restaurants, bars, and art exhibits. the police station is right at the west end of main street. there are many newer homes off 9d by the dutchess stadium and a new HS. remember, there is an a$& for every seat, so re-sale not a prob. many young city dwellers that are 1st time home buyers relocate to beacon because of its proximity to the train and comute into nyc.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 30,689 times
We moved from Manhattan to Beacon and absolutely LOVE IT. The community is wonderful and spirited. I feel completely safe. We would not even have to lock our doors. My friend who owns an antique shop leaves his bike on the street unlocked all day and it never moves.

The town is very diverse which I consider a plus. It's also really really beautiful. You will not be sorry if you move here. It has so much to offer.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:51 AM

2 posts, read 23,442 times
Anyone have info good or bad on Coilonial Springs Condo development in Beacon? I'm looking to rent there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York