Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 AM

14 posts, read 87,925 times

Advertisements

or anywhere in between?

Hello, my husband and I are two former NYCity-area residents (with our two boys - ages 4 and 6) are looking for somewhere to relocate in NY State. We have lived in southern PA for three years, but we are not happy with 'family life' in this area. The only exception is admiring the Amish and Mennonite population - they are the ultimate and best example of family life!

Anyway, I've checked and visited many counties in southern and eastern NY. Most were areas we just simply didn't like, or were too expensive. In the past year I've visited Greene, Ulster, Columbia, Dutchess, Sullivan, and Orange Counties. These areas are not for us. We also considered Broome County - Binghamton area. We are still undecided on this area, but now our focus is Schoharie/Otsego County.

Any suggestions from anyone?? My husband wants at least 5-10 acres (one day for horses) and some opportunity to continue his contracting/construction business, I want to be no more than 20 minutes from decent shopping and services (not meccas, just Kohls, Target, supermarket, banks, good doctors -- things like that). I also need to be near an area where I can meet and network with other women and moms. My children, of course, would benefit from a good school system (public or private...Catholic?), summer little league or soccer, basketball, etc.

Thank you all for any help and information!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 05:52 PM

8 posts, read 52,520 times
Smile Cobleskill area

Well, I moved up to the Cobleskill area from downstate about 4 years ago. The area is scenic, and real estate at the moment is still reasonable (with acreage). School district - so so. I think the closest private school would be in Schenectady. As far as your husband's construction business is concerned, if he is reasonably priced and provides quality work he should have no problem here once he is established. Many transplants (such as myself) find it difficult to renovate and build. There are only a handful of quality construction businesses, and a boatload of "handymen" who provide crappy work - IF they show up when retained for a job. I think what I can't get used to is the lack of pride many of the residents have in themselves in all facets of their life. Too many times you'll find a virtual garbage dump in someone's yard. Zoning here is a joke. It's unfortunate, because the area itself is so pretty. And amazing since we are within easy commuting distance of Albany.

But those residents who are productive and involved are some of the nicest people I've met anywhere. I usually take advantage of many courses the local college offers to the community and I have met some very pleasant people. As far as staying close to major shopping, I wouldn't move much further west than Schoharie (which is a cute little village). From there you could reach the Rotterdam Square Mall in 15 minutes, Albany in 30. I don't have much to tell you regarding Oneonta, I only shop there once in a while. For some reason it feels too far "out" to me. It's a personal thing, this is as far "out" as I can take! Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:02 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,906,843 times
Oneonta, way better downtown, great bbq, nice housing with two colleges downtown, nice people, Oneonta Mets Farm team and close to Cooperstown with the lake and Omegang Brewery.

OMG there is no comparison!!!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 AM

140 posts, read 731,699 times
Default Cobleskill or Oneonta

Oneonta is definitely the better of the two cities. Better public schools, shopping, and reasonable cost of living in moderately priced houses. You will find abundant choices for buying acreage in either location although in Cobleskill, you will pay more for the land due to the influx of downstaters who are buying up land, farms, and homes for weekend getaways.

But, I do think you will find either city to be very limited in educational resources as they do not have the larger tax base that some other larger cities can draw upon. Also, I think that your husband will have a harder time getting himself established in the community as neither city has a lot of growth in new housing, as most of the existing homes are older. Medical care is better in Oneonta with it's greater resources. And, you will not find your larger department stores in either city although Oneonta still has better shopping resources over Cobleskill.

If you are open to suggestions, I'd recommend either Binghamon or Ithaca as both are much larger cities, have far superior educational systems, have greater growth opportunities for your husband to successfully establish a contracting/construction company, and both have much better medical care. Also, in either city, you'll find your favored shopping. Your husband will also have greater resources such as Lowe's, Home Depot, and many well-established lumber yards and construction-supply businesses. Both cities are considered safe. Also, cost of living in either city is comparable and reasonable.

Between the two cities, I'd lean towards Ithaca due to it's school system, cultural resources, and availability for you to network with other moms. Also, there is plenty of land available for purchase with reasonable prices that have not been jacked-up to take advantage of downstaters with lots of money to blow.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:55 AM

12 posts, read 48,676 times
That's an easy one...Oneonta, hands down...More expensive, but schools way better...growing tourist infrastructure, excellent Med care...( I work at Fox Hospital..) Only downside for you is contractors are pretty thick, and competition is pretty keen for the high-end jobs.. Best of luck...we moved back 10 yrs ago, and now have 4 young kids--they're thriving here!!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:00 PM

4 posts, read 23,796 times
Oneonta. I love it here even though I'm moving in a year lol.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:31 AM

16 posts, read 63,341 times
i think binghamton/sidney is great area. homes are decent prices and you got a major university there as well. plenty of homes with 5 acres or more. people are extremely friendly as well.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 28,371 times
Default lizoranet

Check out Owego, NY, it's 15 min from Binghamton and with a big Lockheed-Martin plant it has a good tax base. It's safe and scenic just off Rt 17 which will be I-86 soon. I grew up near there and now live in Delaware County which is too rural for most people although my kids thrived and have excellant jobs today but unfortunately out of the area.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:54 AM

90 posts, read 686,473 times
I'll put in a plug for my area ...Duanesburg. It is about 15 minutes east of Cobleskill so you get the same bucolic feel, but is at the western edge of the Albany area so it has a much higher household income ...$70k median at last report. I suspect 20 years ago it was very similiar to Cobleskill demographically, but an influx from Albany/Schenectady has changed it. For now at least you get the real rural feel at the edge of suburbia. Land prices have spiked a lot since 2000, but would still seem very cheap to you by NYC area standards. The school district is highly rated and they are building a large new community center with an olympic sized pool etc. (google DACC). We have little league, pop warner football, youth soccer etc....

There are a fair number of farms yet in town ( some dairies, but mostly hay farmers) and a large thoroughbred horse farm on the Schoharie Valley side of town. Supposedly Harrison Ford has a horse farm and I know where it is, but it's a bit of a mystery.

Duanesburg is the western town of Schenectady County, but 100% unlike the city of Schenectady. It is along I-88 and you can be at several malls within 15-25 minutes. You have a choice of the more leisurely shopping in Cobleskill or Amsterdam or the much busier areas near Niskayuna, Colonie, Guilderland. We only have a Dunkin Donuts, but Starbucks is 15-20 minutes away.

The only real negative is the lack of a nice central village. Its a township with several hamlets and the small sleepy village of Delanson, but no vibrant old style village. Altamont (10-15 minutes southeast) is a lovely village and Schoharie (10-15 minutes southwest) is as well.

One great thing about this location is the proximity to I-90 and I-87. You can be in Boston and NYC is less than 3 hours and Montreal in 3.5 hours, closer in... Cooperstown in 50 minutes, Saratoga in 45 mins, Lake George in an hour, Sacandaga in 45 mins, the Catskills in an hour, etc. .. You can drive 30 mins to the Amtrak Station in Albany/Rensselaer and take the train into the city (2.5 hours) also.

Oh we have an excellent fireworks display..but the week before the 4th....

Old 07-31-2007, 07:57 AM

37 posts, read 85,663 times
I've lived in Cobleskill for 17 years, so there must be something good about it! (Either that, or I've just become brain dead!) (Although the winters have lost their charm and I've flirted with the idea of moving south for several years now.)

We moved from affluent Niskayuna, a suburb of Schenectady when our son was about 7 years old. We felt Nisky was moving far too fast and not where we wanted to raise our son.

Basically, our son went thru the school system here from the early elementary years. He is now 25 and gainfully employed, and loves living in the country. He attended SUNY Oneonta, and surprise, surprise, found employment in his field (music industry) within weeks, although he does have to commute to Schenectady for his job and so does his wife.

What I have to say about the school system is while it might not be the greatest, involved and pro-active parents make a big difference. We do have a large range of students of many abilities from special ed to extremely gifted. If you are willing to go to bat for your child and remain active in his or her education, he or she will do fine. Our local high school has kids who are going to local colleges as well as Ivy League colleges.

Economically, Cobleskill is weak. Our downtown area has many storefront vacancies and it my belief that the village makes it extremely difficult for those wishing to run their own businesses here. Restaurants are a joke, in a way -- remember that saying about "if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes?" Well, stretch that out a bit -- if you don't like the restaurant you're eating in, wait six months, and another will be a long shortly. And gone, as well. It is frustrating when you finally like a place and a few months later it's gone!

We have a lot of transplants from NYC and Long Island -- I swear there must be a sign down there that says, "For a good time, move to Cobleskill!" Actually, the reason for the influx is relatively low land and housing prices. I predict that, someday, this area will "catch on" as did Clifton Park (north of Capital District) as a bedroom community. I believe it's already happening, judging by the prices of some homes listed recently.

When we came here, we moved on to 13 acres, part of an old dairy farm, just about 3 miles from the village. We bought for under $100K and if I had to guess, I would say our property is worth close to triple that now. That's not to say every place appreciates that way -- we have done a great deal of work here in 17 years to maintain and improve our property.

Shopping: You can buy groceries at the local Price Chopper (large chain) and also at Wal*Mart, which arrived here a few years ago, (and not without a lot of controversy!). We also have two farmers' markets where you can buy fresh produce, USDA meats, and the like. It took a while for the idea to catch on, but I think they're going to make it! For clothing, again Wal*Mart for cheap stuff -- otherwise drive about an half an hour to get to Rotterdam Square Mall -- or shop on line with LL Bean, etc. Want tractor parts? You can find them here!

When we moved here, SUNY Cobleskill was mainly thought of as an Ag Tech school. Over the years, it has come to the point where there are several bachelor degree programs available. But then again, during the school year, you will see the names of many downstate people (students) on the police blotter.

Taxes are lower than in the Capital District, but you have to factor in, possibly the cost of commuting there since the employment situation in Cobleskill is not the greatest. We lost a huge manufacturing facility here a few years ago, which put hundreds of workers out of work and I don't think this area has recovered from that yet. Best bets for employment would be the college, the local school district, and possibly the hospital.

The "Beauty Factor" -- probably what has kept us here for so long -- the Schoharie Valley, in which Cobleskill is located, has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth (that is, if you don't count the jerks with 20 motor vehicles in all states of decay in the front, back, and side yards!). The town of Cobleskill is quite lax in enforcing any rules/laws about that, much to my dismay. And it's hard to turn someone in because he/she is probably related to someone you know and like and that can be awkward -- trust me!

Which reminds me -- do not speak unkindly about anyone -- he or she is probably also related to your next door neighbor, who is cousin of the postmaster, who is babysitter to the mail carrier's kids, who is a local farmer who is also grandfather to all of them -- if you get my drift.

(Funny aside -- I moved here not knowing a soul and it turns out that my ancestors -- back in the 1700's -- were among the first white settlers in this county -- see, even if you don't want to be related to anyone, you probably already are!!!)

OK, I've rambled on long enough -- like anywhere, it can be pretty much what you make of it -- but not entirely. Local politicians are reluctant to change, local farms disappear at an alarming rate because the farmers cannot afford to keep afloat, community services are "OK" but certainly not much to brag about. What's frustrating is that we have the potential to be a GREAT little town, but there seems to be too much opposition to change and take risks in making thisa better place to live. Yes, there are tourist and local economic development programs in place, but it's a struggle.

And after all this, you are probably terribly confused -- sorry!

If you want more info, just add on here and I'll do what I can to answer your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York