Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:51 AM

90 posts, read 686,523 times

Advertisements

I think downtown Cobleskill looks fairly appealing..certainly compared to some abandoned Main Streets further west in Upstate NY. Middleburgh (just southeast) has made their Main Street much more attractive than years ago.

I looked up the median home prices in Schoharie County and they have spiked from $90,000 in the early 2000s to $150,000 today. So something must be reaching as far west as that county...maybe its the influx of Downstaters and some Albany commuters. I noticed a few new large homes going up on that county road that leads from near the Price Chopper east to near Howes Caverns.

The area of Schoharie County that has a lot of new (some pretty large) homes is the Town of Wright (over the line from Albany and Schenectady Counties) and I believe that is mostly Albany area people who have moved there for the lower cost of living.

If you look at the net inward vs outward migration figures Schoharie has gone slightly into the positive growth category and is the western most county that posted any positive migration numbers. Just about everything west of there in NY state is shrinking.

Population shift 2000: 31,582 2006: 32,196 +1.9%

Inward Migration from 2000 to 2005: 5882
Outward Migration from 2000 to 2005: 5354
Net gain of 528
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 AM

37 posts, read 85,680 times
Cobleskill -- downtown -- could be so much more than it is now. The turnover in retail stores is amazing and I think the vacancy rate is somewhere around 25-30%. If you want a tattoo, pizza, hairstyling, or several fast food places, you're in luck. Yes, there are some long-timers there, but it's not easy for them. I think they hang on due to sheer loyalty and grit.

You're right about Middleburgh -- they have done a wonderful job on their downtown area -- very nice! And even Schoharie, in my opinion, has a much more attractive downtown than Cobleskill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York