Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 06:11 PM

93,443 posts, read 124,120,588 times

Advertisements

This Syracuse CBA and University of Tennessee grad owns his own apparel company: Men’s and Women’s Athletic Apparel | Dreissig Apparel Syracuse NY

http://www.cbasyracuse.org/wp-conten...arc-Jones1.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:33 AM

Here are a couple of entrepreneur lists that mention the Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Ithaca metros: https://www.goodcall.com/data-center...entrepreneurs/ (Ithaca is 27th and Albany is 63rd on this list)

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/smal...ed-businesses/ (Buffalo has the highest percentage of Black owned businesses with paid employees in the country and Black owned businesses in the Rochester area have an average annual revenue of $114,153. Only 13 of the 107 metros on the list have a higher average annual revenue)

Old 07-17-2016, 11:39 AM

Here's some history from Ithaca: Historic Ithaca | Dennis-Newton House

Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 PM

Interview with artists in the Syracuse area: Black Art Is Alive And Well In Syracuse | Kenny Dees | Power 620

Old 07-24-2016, 10:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,492,443 times
ckthankgod, I might have asked you this already but I'm curious about something

Binghamton's black population per the most recent census is something like 12%, but I spent a lot of time in Binghamton as I went to school at Binghamton University before I flunked out, and the city of Binghamton seemed way blacker than that. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of the people I saw were black. Johnson City also seemed to have a lot more black people than the census info would suggest. Could it be that my perception is skewed by the parts of Binghamton I was in, or has the black population increased since 2010?

The area also had the highest percentage of black/white interracial relationships I've ever seen.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Binghamton's black population per the most recent census is something like 12%, but I spent a lot of time in Binghamton as I went to school at Binghamton University before I flunked out, and the city of Binghamton seemed way blacker than that. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of the people I saw were black. Johnson City also seemed to have a lot more black people than the census info would suggest. Could it be that my perception is skewed by the parts of Binghamton I was in, or has the black population increased since 2010?

The area also had the highest percentage of black/white interracial relationships I've ever seen.
I believe it is a combination of where you were in the city/area and growth of that population. Besides Binghamton and Johnson City, Endicott has its share and you find a couple/few in terms of percentage in suburbs like Vestal, Endwell, Owego and even the Susquehanna Valley, Chenango Valley and Chenango Forks school districts. So, it isn't just the city of Binghamton, but the other cities(really villages) and some of the suburbs/small towns as well.

Also, it isn't uncommon to see black/white(or other types of) interracial couples in Upstate NY, in general. I think it is more visible in the smaller areas due to things like many smaller cities having just 1 high school. Elmira and Auburn are a couple of other small cities in Upstate that come to mind in terms of seeing black/white interracial couples.

Geneva, which also has quite a few Hispanic and Black residents, also comes to mind. I believe its school district enrollment is now about 50-50 white/non white and has actually improved academically due to the Geneva 2020 initiative.

So, interracial couples and diverse smaller cities aren't uncommon up here either.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post

Here is some video information from the Binghamton City SD that may illustrate what you saw during your time there: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCV9ksL9HmxtVsVTjMKFibRg

Old 07-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Professional based info: https://www.smlny.com/sml-elects-new-director/ (Security Mutual Life is based in Binghamton)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York