Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 05:06 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,084,954 times

Advertisements

OK the new governor is trying again to cap our property taxes and institute a program called circuit breaker which stops your taxes from rising above a certain percentage of your income.....unions fight fiercely to stop this each time it comes up but with everything else skyrocketing and no end in view, we have to start putting a halt on the bottomless pit called public education. And if you think I'm speaking out of turn, I work for a public school and personally SEE the waste that goes on.

Do not let this fizzle out. We are taxed 79 percent higher than the rest of the United States and many of us can not afford it anymore and it will only get worse. If you think people are jumping a sinking ship called NY now, let the dominoe effect of rising gas prices take a firm hold on our economy and the exodus will increase a hundred fold. We have carried the weight of this state squarely on the back of the middle class and that back is in jeporady of snapping in two.

Stand up and be heard!

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 06-04-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 05:38 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,739,639 times
I saw that the education unions were against it. Thats all I needed to read. I support it.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:35 PM

96 posts, read 395,457 times
Isn't our high tax rate a reflection of our medicaid burden-- something to do with our relationship to the federal government uniquely structured for NY. Can someone explain this to me?

Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,787,798 times
I'd support you if I lived there. I've also seen and heard testimony about the waste that goes on in public education as well. Though I'd hate to cut spending there, efficiency standards must be increased. And that's not just NY, but all over the country. Since educating children are involved, it's tough to speak out and not get bashed. However, spending in the public educational system should be eyeballed a bit closer.

Nonetheless, a cap on property taxes is something I would support considering what I have heard regarding expense living in NY. Forgive my speaking out of turn... I am not as informed as others living there. But I sympathize.

Good luck, NY.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,084,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansu View Post
Isn't our high tax rate a reflection of our medicaid burden-- something to do with our relationship to the federal government uniquely structured for NY. Can someone explain this to me?
Have not heard about a medicaid connection but I do know we some of the most generous welfare services in the country and then there's that city on the eastern point of the state that we support liberally with our upstate tax dollars. Another bone of contention with NYers and an often discussed solution is annexing NYC from the state and making it the District of NY....bet that would lower our tax waste!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:46 PM

79 posts, read 359,876 times
Cap ! its needs to be reduced by 1/2 to 2/3rd's and then capped. we live in western NC and often think of moving back home to N Y State, then we look at Real estate. How can anyone purchase a middle Class home and sign themselves up for 4 to 5K + of taxes per year. Property taxes have killed the upstate economy.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:20 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,159,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archtopguitar View Post
Cap ! its needs to be reduced by 1/2 to 2/3rd's and then capped. we live in western NC and often think of moving back home to N Y State, then we look at Real estate. How can anyone purchase a middle Class home and sign themselves up for 4 to 5K + of taxes per year. Property taxes have killed the upstate economy.
Try twice that, $8,000 to $12,000 in middle class surburbia in the hudson valley, and the average income is not able to support this kind of tax burden. I don't blame welfare or the educational system, I blame the greedy corporations, and the top executives who are receiving outrageous salaries, fully paid health benefits, business tax incentives, luxury item write-offs, and other perks! The middle class are being forced to pay outlandish amounts for health benefits, property taxes, and many jobs are now "part-time", so they don't have to even offer health benefits. I'm very pro union because of this.

In the war of the haves and havenots, in NY, the haves are going to wake up one day, and there will be no service people left to build their McMansions, warm up their limos, or clean their pools. It will be so, so sad for them.

But on the bright side, maybe the rampant materialism with fade and people will be less interested in things and more interested in self-reliance and a strong community.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,555,025 times
Listen I have a friend who got elected to a minor role in politics in Rockland county. Politics is BS he that post because he could bring in votes. So they gave, er I mean appointed him a seat. The truth is that we are paying high salaries for jobs like librarians, police chiefs, etc. When I say high I mean 6 figures. Janitors are making 65,000 and they don't have to even drive into the city thus avoiding bridge tolls, less expenses on fuel consumption, etc. Why does a small town like Stony Point, NY need 32 full-time police officers and 7 part time officers? The crime rate is Zero. They made DWI w/o accidents seem like it is the worst crime ever committed. Rockland county is 20 miles by 7 miles across. Politicians drew lines in the early 30's and organized school districts and borders to some weird method that make no sense. Isn;t it time we re-organize and close certain school districts or at least combine them to be more effective. The Clarkstown Police Chief gets paid $400,000. Great job for a town that doesn't suffer from crime. VERY, Very little crime. I bought a house in Stony Point and guess what the property tax is............$18,500 per year. So you bet I hope the US economy sinks....faster than the titanic. Every politician is crooked. Yes, they come into office with debt but they never have any great ideas on how to help besides raising taxes. Revolutions were started because of high taxes....American History 101. I hope they don't forget that!

Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,555,025 times
i think the only real solution to lowering property taxes is educating our kids via online resources. I can outsource software development and tutors. I don;t have to pay for school bus drivers, school security , cafeteria staff, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:45 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,554,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
then there's that city on the eastern point of the state that we support liberally with our upstate tax dollars. Another bone of contention with NYers and an often discussed solution is annexing NYC from the state and making it the District of NY....bet that would lower our tax waste!
I don't believe in this day & age that some are so uninformed that they actually believe this. Over 8 million people within the borders of NYC & almost 19 million within the metro area, property taxes within the metro area dwarf what we pay in Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. Then you have the fact that NYC brings in more consumer $$'s (and sales tax) than the rest of the state combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York