Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 07:28 PM

302 posts, read 1,050,076 times

Advertisements

Rockjm....We have the identical stories!! No $h^! ! The only difference is that I'm in Florida. As I read your posts I actually thought I wrote them. Same story here my friend....wife Loves it here...no snow, taxes, job blah blah BLAH!!! I miss it all back there too. I feel the same exact way. I would rather be there paying higher taxes working two jobs and living Happy than living in misery. We were also from Upstate NY. Just letting you know Your Not Alone. I hope your wife is alright after her experience. I wish you both the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 18,549 times
Hey there Rockjm
I've been reading your post, sorry about all your troubles, your just a little home sick thats all. I just came back from visiting Asheville and there were alot of rivers and streams to go fishing in. and the sliding rock was the bomb!
I read that your a roofer, so is my husband. We live in west michigan right now and we want to jump ship asap! Can you give me some leads for him so we can get this move started. We want to get down there before the school yr starts. Do you all have kids? Where is the best location to find a cheap but safe house to rent for now? Again just hang in there it will get better!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 AM

961 posts, read 2,506,253 times
..I'll assume from your husband's posts that you're from near one of the Adirondack counties(?). Scope out where both of your job skills could work for you in NYS. You know..the southern tier..Chemung, Tioga, Broome, and Chenango counties have some of the most affordable housing in a decent area to live in the eastern U.S.(NY Times said as much in an article last year). The "sunny south"....well...The only area of the US I have been in the middle of a store robbery...(the south), the only area where I have been shook down($) by a local cop...(the south), the only area where I have been told I'm not welcome in someone's home simply because I'm from NYS....(the south), etc..

Old 05-31-2007, 07:52 AM

8 posts, read 64,688 times
Default So where to live in NY?

I'm from NY and am struggling with raising a family in Putnam/Westchester county. My husband is an avid outdoorsman...hunting, fishing, former Army Captain...

Where in upstate NY is a great place to raise a family and enjoy "living"???

Old 05-31-2007, 02:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,080,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubalibre7 View Post
I'm from NY and am struggling with raising a family in Putnam/Westchester county. My husband is an avid outdoorsman...hunting, fishing, former Army Captain...

Where in upstate NY is a great place to raise a family and enjoy "living"???

I'm in the Rochester area and have been my whole life. It took a hit economically but is rebounding nicely. Having never left, I can't compare it but the number of people who move back astounds me (we are the whipping post of the state with the taxes, cold weather and NOT NYC) but their #1 reason? GReat place to raise a family!!!! Look into it; you may find that out yourself.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM

69 posts, read 255,757 times
Rockjm, There are a lot of people in this boat. I am from Syracuse and my wife is from Utica. I love to hunt, fish, and do anything that is outside. I've been in NC for 7 years now and still feel like NY is home. My wife loves it here, she hated the snow. Me, however, I would move back in a heartbeat if I could. Your not alone. Good luck on moving back. Where did you used to go snowmobiling? We usually went to Tug Hill, Old Forge, etc....

Old 05-31-2007, 08:04 PM

185 posts, read 992,647 times
my suggestion to you especially if you have kids (so you odn't bounce them around across state alot). Is to Give it another 6 months. But in that time look in the newspaper/phonebook/web for hunting clubs, hiking clubs, biking clubs, archery ranges, boating, parks, etc. Look for activities and events similar to what you used to enjoy. I know you can go hunting and hiking and stuff alone. but if you find other people with similar interests and start building up a community where you are, it will help.

You might find yourself feeling like you're part of your community. You'll still miss Ny on the first day of deer season. but you can always visit and call and write.

Moving is expensive and hard, give yourself time to settle in and try.

now on the other hand if neighbors start coming over with tazers, pitchforks, and fire screaming yankees go home. then forget everything I said and run! lol

Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 PM

185 posts, read 992,647 times
oh, and I'm from Pennsylvania. When asked wehre i'm from I say, I'm from Pennsylvania but live in NY. I feel a connection to Pennsylvania that I'll never feel to new york, but Pa is no longer home. my friends have moved away, and many (but not all) of my family has passed away.

It's ok to feel that connection.

I can tell you that my great grandfather came from Italy and complained all of his life that Americans couldn't make good bread. A fewyears before his death (60 years after he moved here), he returned to Italy for a visit. The only thing he said about his one year vacation in Italy was that the Italian Bread was too salty and not edible. it turns out his memories were better than the real thing.

I hope you andyour family find what you need wherever that may be.

best of luck

Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 AM

1,080 posts, read 4,589,306 times
Default Roots

I think that when anyone moves from their "roots" they have a sense of longing to go back, I'm from NJ and would go back every year, the roads were dirty, the people drive like $%^$%^, but I could go to the mountains
NW NJ breath fresh cool air, see deer in the woods, swim in a lake, see black bears in my daughters driveway, have a picnic in a park and feel relaxed and at peace. Soon as I get back to FL. I would be cursing under my breath,
b#t#ching at the bills for HOI, taxes, not see a neighbor for days on end
and talk with no one, without getting this attitude "well back in so and so we
had it great" and I would wonder why are you here than?

Can't get back to NJ for reasons of economics, not at all happy with Fl. so what are we suppose to do? I think that if you can get back to NY and can
afford to do so, just do it and hope for the best. Me, I have to watch the move I make, since I'm on a fixed income and one false move could land me in the poor house.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:08 AM

954 posts, read 4,379,128 times
Two points:

1. If you have been away only 6 months that may not be enough to know how you really feel about NC. However, my guess is that like me, place matters to you and no matter how much money you save and how "mild" the weather is, you will not like it.
2. If you have been away a long time, you may idealize where you are from and be sorely disappointed when you return. My folks were raised in Western NC but lived and raised their family in suburban Detroit. After living in MI for 43 years, they retired to NC. It was a huge disappointment. My Dad admitted later that it was the worst mistake he ever made. Not only was his home area different than when he was a kid, he was different because he lived in a major city in the Midwest for most of his adult life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York