Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,757,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFM View Post
The good news is that the 2020 presidential election will be here and gone soon, and then he can get back to just ignoring the problems of the state as usual instead of being the Progressive Beacon that he's trying to be now after he loses in the primaries.
He's going to be remembered as a total shcmuck just like Pataki

ok maybe not as bad, he won't be remembered as the guy afraid to rebuild the world trade center but instead the guy who named a bridge after his own family
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:51 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,255,125 times
D*mn it, stopped at Trader Joe's on the way home, had 6 items in my paper bag, I didn't even make it to the subway before the handle broke. Funny enough a woman on the platform had 2 bags from them and she said one of her bags ripped already. I hate this no more plastic bags there, their paper bags suck.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:58 PM

146 posts, read 115,106 times
Yup, ban ban ban. That's all they know how to do. It's what the minority wants so we'll do it.

If they were smart they'd mandate a conversion to biodegradable plastic bags and then encourage a manufacturer to move into the state to meet the demand, providing jobs and tax revenue.

but no we'll just ban and everyone can use useless paper bags. Good luck carrying home some cold beer or some ice cream in a paper bag on a sweltering New York evening in August..

Old 01-16-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadChadderson View Post
If they were smart they'd mandate a conversion to biodegradable plastic bags and then encourage a manufacturer to move into the state to meet the demand, providing jobs and tax revenue.
Please tell me you're running for some sort of public office

Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 PM

50,432 posts, read 64,199,369 times
I already answered that I am in favor of banning non biodegradable plastic grocery bags, because it would cause very little inconvenience and it would make a huge difference. This being said, I totally get the negative reaction to more government interference in our lives. No argument there.
I would still continue to want some plastic for certain things, like ziplock bags and poop scooping bags, a bag for drippy meat, and other things.
On the few occasions when I forget to take cloth bags I’m appalled by how MANY plastic bags the baggers think they need to use. It seems like they put about 1 item per bag. WAY more than necessary. There is a compromise to be found, but folks need an incentive to find it.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’m appalled by how MANY plastic bags the baggers think they need to use. It seems like they put about 1 item per bag. WAY more than necessary. There is a compromise to be found, but folks need an incentive to find it.
Yeah I hate that too. When I bag my own, the items I fit into a single bag usually takes 2-3 double bags for a grocery employee. They are overly cautious because stores have made the economic calculation that even 1 out of 100 people who has a ripped bag / damaged goods and poor experience is not worth the risk to alienate as a recurring customer, thus they have no problem using 4 times as many $0.01 plastic bags as necessary

Rational economic decision, devastating environmental consequence.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:08 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Long overdue. I stopped using plastic bags years ago. Everybody needs to get with the program. They are toxic and bad for the environment. Unless you don’t give a damn about the future generation, the “here we go again” comment should not be made. Some people need to see where their waste goes and it doesn’t just magically disappear.

My anecdote:
We had been gathering our recyclable paper into a nice metal wire basket. We dutifully carried the basket into the basement and tossed the paper into a large container iner marked PAPER AND CARDBOARD and carried the basket back upstairs. After about a year of this seemingly environmentally friendly method we were asked if we could "please put our paper into plastic bags because otherwise it is too hard for the porters to handle."

For me, this was the point where Alice fell through the Looking Glass...again.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:04 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Ummm No, you go to the fresh produce section and things are individually sold.
Apples, peppers, Tomatoes, squash, potatoes, beets, etc etc etc...
So go smack yourself
I buy organic cherry tomatoes in a container. No bag needed. For some veggies yes you need a bag. Others not...

Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 AM

93,855 posts, read 124,582,792 times
Some takes on the plastic bag ban from shoppers in the Utica area: https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/ce...lastic-bag-ban

Old 01-18-2019, 01:05 PM

6,917 posts, read 3,971,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Probably time to ban those bags but like everyone says what do you do to line your smaller garbage bins or when you walk your dog.

It's one of those modern times issues when we live in a super sanitized environment. In the old days people used to put all their garbage in a metal bin and the whole thing would be poured out into the garbage truck. The thing stunk to high heaven but it got the job done. Then a company came along and convinced everyone that they needed a cleaner solution with bags and here we are
Speaking of stinking to high heaven, I just put a new bag in the little garbage receptacle in my bathroom, and had to throw it in the large garbage bin this morning because I ended up vomiting it at about 1:00 this morning. Imagine if that was an unlined receptacle... and my next garbage day isn't until next Thursday, so I don't want that mess stinking up my bathroom and the rest of my apartment. I tied the handles together so the smell wouldn't get out and pitched it in the large bin under my kitchen sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York