Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 08:25 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,728,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I cannot understand how a society contemplating a man on Mars cannot figure out how to melt plastic bags and spin out new ones? Or make Lego's out of them? Or caskets? Or houses?

When I remember, I bring a canvas bag/
We do. There is no plastic bag problems in most countries. 95% of plastic bag pollution you see in NatGeo documentaries is coming from Africa and Asia. Even if we banned all of the plastic bags in North America it would not even move a needle on plastic bag pollution worldwide. Also, plastic bags do bio-degrade eventually in the environment. If they are exposed to the sun (such as floating in the water), they take about ~100 years to degrade and break down into other compounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM

5,763 posts, read 4,137,837 times
God forbid Cuomo do something for the economy. I don't see the issue other than a handful here or there. Wegmans has a collection bin for recycling in their vestibule. How hard is it to bring your used ones back as you walk into the store empty handed?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 AM

25,401 posts, read 37,156,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
You do realize people were buying fruits & veg before plastic bags were invented. heck, this city is FULL of older people who are of the age that they even remember shopping before plastic bags became so ubiquitous!

I certainly remember the era of paper bags. They were kind of hard to carry, and weak, and if they got wet, catastrophe.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,494,958 times
Government needs to make up its mind.

Plastic bags were forced on us a long time ago by the environmentalists. We need to save the trees, they said. Anyone old enough to remember that?

Americans were fine with the brown paper grocery sacks until the tree huggers took them away and replaced them with plastic. If we wanted a brown paper sack instead, we had to pay a nickle for each one.

All those plastic bags and containers ending up in our oceans and rivers aren't coming from America anyone. Once again it's another case of "feel good" legislation that serves absolutely no purpose. And we pay for these legislators to make these decision?!

Hubby and I will stock up on the plastic grocery bags now. We reuse them for our dirty kitty litter. We'll hide those soon-to-be-banned plastic bags inside of the coming, Cuomo-approved brown paper sacks. (Rolling my eyes).

By the time the tree-huggers force us once again to go back to plastic bags, for the sake of saving our trees, I'll be dead.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 AM

130,792 posts, read 12,202,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My question: How do I dispose of dog waste?
buy dog poo bags

Old 01-14-2019, 10:30 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,333,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Government needs to make up its mind.

Plastic bags were forced on us a long time ago by the environmentalists. We need to save the trees, they said. Anyone old enough to remember that?

Americans were fine with the brown paper grocery sacks until the tree huggers took them away and replaced them with plastic. If we wanted a brown paper sack instead, we had to pay a nickle for each one.

All those plastic bags and containers ending up in our oceans and rivers aren't coming from America anyone. Once again it's another case of "feel good" legislation that serves absolutely no purpose. And we pay for these legislators to make these decision?!

Hubby and I will stock up on the plastic grocery bags now. We reuse them for our dirty kitty litter. We'll hide those soon-to-be-banned plastic bags inside of the coming, Cuomo-approved brown paper sacks. (Rolling my eyes).

By the time the tree-huggers force us once again to go back to plastic bags, for the sake of saving our trees, I'll be dead.
Government has made up its mind. Use reusable bags... It's amazing that we have become so accustomed to needing a bag for everything. People buy one item and double bag it in plastic. What I do is either reuse my paper bags or bring cotton cloth ones. The traditional reusable bags are full of its own chemicals, so I don't bother with those. Once the paper bags are worn out they either go in the trash or I put them into the recycling if there are no spills. Most of everything is sealed so unless I am buying meat, there's no need to keep getting a new paper bag every time.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:31 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,272,477 times
There needs to be some type of free bag at businesses. A reusable bag is fine for a planned trip the grocery store but sometimes you don't plan to stop somewhere and carrying a bag with you everywhere just in case isn't feasible.

There are biodegradable plastic bags on the market--why can't we use those?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,562,143 times
Lord almighty. See, this is the kind of thing I mean when I say city folk can't understand life upstate.

Plastic bags have a ton of uses (on the farm they made great boot liners). Not the least of which being that actually carrying them is much easier than paper bags. They don't soak up condensation like paper.

Cuomo drives me insane as it is, but this is too much of a knee-jerk reaction. The better plan would be to promote the use of reusable bags, like at Aldis. Instead of banning them outright.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:57 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,757,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Cuomo drives me insane as it is, but this is too much of a knee-jerk reaction. The better plan would be to promote the use of reusable bags, like at Aldis. Instead of banning them outright.
Don't worry, there are a lot more things to come from the government telling you what to do in your day to day life. It's Bozo-umo Bonanza!

Old 01-14-2019, 10:58 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,255,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
BTW, without individual plastic bags how will one buy fresh fruit and vegetables by weight?!
Trader Joes uses compostable bags for their vegetables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York