Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2008, 06:23 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,435,562 times

Advertisements

What do you folks think of Oneonta? I've been told it's a very pretty place with an "old time" feel to it. I looked at it on the net and it looks like a really nice place. How are the taxes there? Are they as bad as Long Island and NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 11,445 times
Please read my response posted to another question from a family living abroad. Bottom line is that my family has enjoyed living in Oneonta. There are surprisingly, lots of opportunities to enjoy The Arts, Culture, and Nature; however, sometimes you have to search and dig - word of mouth and being a persistent for 2 yrs is how I learned to navigate my community.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM

223 posts, read 1,003,669 times
Hmmm ... just posted on another thread comparing Oneonta and Ithaca so instead of rewriting I'll just copy and paste it here and delete the stuff on Ithaca ... sounds like you want to be close to the city (as in NYC), but not in it. A lot of people in that area actually commute to the city (nutty in my mind), but I'm just a simple minded country gal, so what do I know about that?

There are two colleges in Oneonta so you can expect a wide range of diversity and have never found the area to be racist in any form. I went to HS in Stamford, a small town 30 minutes from Oneonta. Plenty of outdoor things to do all year long ... the mountains and outdoor playground is a stone's throw away and the snow and cold was never a reason for me to sit inside, I just went out to explore more ... skiing (cross country and downhill), snowshoeing, walking in the stillness of the cold winter air, sledding, etc. Main St is a big bar scene. I'm 4 hours away now, but occasionally will visit Oneonta to listen to a friend's band play. It is very safe as the above poster mentioned.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 11,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What do you folks think of Oneonta? I've been told it's a very pretty place with an "old time" feel to it. I looked at it on the net and it looks like a really nice place. How are the taxes there? Are they as bad as Long Island and NYC?
I sent a friend request to you skychick, my name is moowoo. I sent the request because I had a few questions I wanted to ask about Oneonta and Ithica that no one seemed to want to answer. Which one is a better area to raise a child and are the property and school taxes bad? I'd like to be in an area where homeowners keep their lawns manicured, an area where there's less of a chance I'd look out of my window and see junk just piled up in someone's yard. I want to see green, clean and space. I don't want to live cramped on top of anyone nor do I want to be around repair shops or any other eye sores.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martwall View Post
I sent a friend request to you skychick, my name is moowoo. I sent the request because I had a few questions I wanted to ask about Oneonta and Ithica that no one seemed to want to answer. Which one is a better area to raise a child and are the property and school taxes bad? I'd like to be in an area where homeowners keep their lawns manicured, an area where there's less of a chance I'd look out of my window and see junk just piled up in someone's yard. I want to see green, clean and space. I don't want to live cramped on top of anyone nor do I want to be around repair shops or any other eye sores.
Both would be good, but I'd say that Ithaca has more to do and it's a bit bigger. Oneonta has smaller schools in the upper levels. Ithaca is in the Finger Lakes and Oneonta is in the Foothills of the Catskills. Here's more info.

Visitor Info | Visit Ithaca
Ithaca*
www.icsd.k12.ny.us

Oneonta City School District
www.oneonta.ny.us
Oneontany
Welcome to Sweet Home Oneonta - Visit Oneonta NY

Old 10-08-2011, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 4,468 times
I just got a tenure track position as a professor of chemistry at Oneonta College. I will be starting next year. I am very excited! But, I am a city person, grew up in Brooklyn, live presently in Queens, and did my Phd in California. I am a bit nervous about the move. It's going to be a brand new life for me. I am single, how is the dating scene? Meeting new people, apartments? I love the outdoor stuff though. I thank you in advance for any information that you could provide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York