Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 10:10 AM

628 posts, read 1,836,238 times

Advertisements

I left Nassau County in 01 and will never look back – Best move I ever made. Fla has its issues but where can you go and want to live that doesn’t????

I was thinking about NY this time of year and although the tree at Rockefeller Center is a must see I couldn’t help thinking about:

1- Rock Salt
2- Mittens and ear muffs
3- Long johns
4- Snow shovels
5- Coat closets (yes oddly enough they don’t build a house in Fla with a coat closet in the foyer)
6- Galoshes
7- Heated car seats
8- Windshield Wash with anti-freeze
9- Key warmer or lock deicer spray
10- Snow tires or chaines

However sunscreen – a kayak – windsurfing board – fishing or golf gear would help

See the “Florida Pics” thread on the Florida Forum for more

[CENTER]Taken this weekend
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Shores9/DSC_0027a.jpg (broken link)[/CENTER]

Happy Holidays
Shores9

Last edited by Shores9; 12-13-2006 at 10:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 01:23 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,604,704 times
Good for you......

One thing that they never have to worry about in my part of NY (upstate)

HURRICANES!

I'd take a snowsotorm over a hurricane any day. I've lived through both in NY and NC. Although you do have the occasional hurricane to hit the NYC area, that's about once every 30 years or more.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Im not from NY, but being in the Chicagoland area, Im familiar with snow.

Here are things a New Yorker can brag about too:

1. No hurricanes.

2. No having to rebuild a house 3 times a year (see #1 for reason why).

3. Not having to run the A/C for 8 straight months.

4. They can swim in a lake w/o fear of cottonmouths (no, NY doesnt have any cottonmouths--water snakes are not cottonmouths) and alligators/crocs.

5. They can communicate w/ one another in one language (spare parts of NYC).

6. They have a city with a skyline, the largest city in the USA. The center of the known USA universe.

7. They can sled, snowmobile, ski, etc in the winter, and be outside in the summer to boat, kayak, etc w/o fear of blistering.

8. They have MOUNTAINS to climb.

I could go on and on too.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM

Steve -0 Hey - I'll always be a New Yorker at heart but lets not foget you got plenty of other bragging rights as well (metro NY)

Highest paid police in the nation (Nassau) For WHAT parking and speeding tickets PLEASE!!!!

And let’s not talk about NY’s Finest – can they run a city block without having a heart attack (too many donuts )

Oh….. the homeless in cardboard condos that’s a good one

2 hours to go anywhere any time of the day

The Shopping Mall capitol of the world

The lifetime achievement award for political corruption

A 50’s built dump for 500K with 10k a year taxes

More people die in one year’s NE snowstorm related incidents then all of the Hurricanes in the last 20 – I’d rather rebuild my house!!!

Smelling the BO on the person you’re forced to stand next to on the subway

Old 12-13-2006, 04:50 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,454,108 times
Miami is just as much of a slum in areas as NYC. I saw TONS of bums in Orlando, Jacksonville, and even Ft. Lauderdale.

Id rather get a parking ticket in NY than some sniper shooting at me along the freeways in Florida.

The reason it takes 2 hours to go anywhere is because 9 million people call the city home, and for good reason: NYC is awesome. You cant beat it. Period.

Prices of houses? Id rather pay 500 grand for an old house, built with solid materials (not these crappy quality McMansions everyones buying), than one of those 500K beach huts in Ft. Lauderdale (you know, those homes that look like trailers that you see all over the place) and watch it blow away with each hurricane.

The only reason people die more often in snowstorms is because we live in them and go to work in them, regardless. Hurricanes dont killl many because everyone packs up and leaves. Next time theres a hurricane, dont board up windows, dont leave town. In fact, go out driving and playing in it! See how many die if you do that! Please, we all know snowstorms are far less dangerous than hurricanes.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,060,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Steve -0 Hey - I'll always be a New Yorker at heart but lets not foget you got plenty of other bragging rights as well (metro NY)

Highest paid police in the nation (Nassau) For WHAT parking and speeding tickets PLEASE!!!!

And let’s not talk about NY’s Finest – can they run a city block without having a heart attack (too many donuts )

Oh….. the homeless in cardboard condos that’s a good one

2 hours to go anywhere any time of the day

The Shopping Mall capitol of the world

The lifetime achievement award for political corruption

A 50’s built dump for 500K with 10k a year taxes

More people die in one year’s NE snowstorm related incidents then all of the Hurricanes in the last 20 – I’d rather rebuild my house!!!

Smelling the BO on the person you’re forced to stand next to on the subway
You are absolutely right. Remember, NYC is the Greatest Place in the world IF you make in the mid Six figures and don't mind spending $700,000 for a one bedroom apartment and you do things depending how 'trendy' they are. It is very hard to make it on five figures even if you are single and live in the unfashionable parts of Queens like near the Belt Parkway around JFK

And the shopping mall capital of the world is right especially where you are judged by what you wear & what you drive (On Long Island) but you must use credit cards because you are only making $70,000 a year at some firm in Nassau county.

And it is so much fun getting around the city after a snowstorm especially in that black snow and trying to dodge cars & SUV's who make sweeping turns without looking.

And most cops in NYC & Long Island have become glorified traffic agents especially for such horrible crimes like driving without a seat belt, having an expired inspection sticker or a broken tailight.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,187,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
You are absolutely right. Remember, NYC is the Greatest Place in the world IF you make in the mid Six figures and don't mind spending $700,000 for a one bedroom apartment and you do things depending how 'trendy' they are. It is very hard to make it on five figures even if you are single and live in the unfashionable parts of Queens like near the Belt Parkway around JFK

And the shopping mall capital of the world is right especially where you are judged by what you wear & what you drive (On Long Island) but you must use credit cards because you are only making $70,000 a year at some firm in Nassau county.

And it is so much fun getting around the city after a snowstorm especially in that black snow and trying to dodge cars & SUV's who make sweeping turns without looking.

And most cops in NYC & Long Island have become glorified traffic agents especially for such horrible crimes like driving without a seat belt, having an expired inspection sticker or a broken tailight.
Nick,
With all of the animosity you have towards NY and the metropolitan region, why do you continue to live here? For peace of mind, and contentment in your soul, wouldn't it be better for you to relocate?

Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM

44 posts, read 289,705 times
Wow.
I live on LI, it is VERY expensive, I guess to each his own, but i would rather live in Fl.

Thanks for sharing the pic!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM

For as many bad things I can say about NY I can say good x10 However unless you have 5-10 mil behind you your really living a middle class rat race. You have a Lexus (or a Hummer) instead of a toyota and your house is on the north shore instead of Hicksville. A million net worth in NYC or even on Long Island is chump change.

I prefer to take my chump change where the sun shines, visit and still experience the best NY has to offer. But that me!

Old 12-13-2006, 08:36 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,989 times
Shores, all the thing you don't miss about New York are the very same things I live here for. I love snow storms, mittens, wood burning fires, skiing, snowmen, brilliant fall colors, frozen lakes, bright stars, tall evergreen forests and mountain peaks. L.I. nad NYC are a bit much and have there set back as you mentioned but upstate is beautiful. Florida is nice for vacations, after ten days it's time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: