Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:33 PM

266 posts, read 1,196,787 times

Advertisements

I think the photos you posted do indeed look beautiful... but the sound of all your posts implies that anyone from the north should be jealous of this...

It may be hard for you to believe, but Florida is not everyone's idea of a dream spot to live!! some of us actually do like living in the more northern parts of the world.

Plus, some of my relatives live in Florida, and I could never handle the HUGE FLYING COCKROACHES they describe... yuck. I have never even seen a cockroach in my neck of the woods! And these are people that live in a million-dollar home in a fancy neighborhood... blech. cold weather prevents a lot of VERY nasty insects and pests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 03:46 PM

7 posts, read 41,959 times
Okay.. I have to step in too..
I was born in the Bronx, raised in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and lived on Long Island until six months ago. I now live in Florida and hate it! Why you ask? Well.. although I live in a beautiful home, I have to turn back the clock to when I was 17 years old and earned 5 dollars an hour. There is plenty to do here and the weather is great, but when you are making 5 dollars an hour, who can afford to have any fun?
I say there is good and bad no matter where you live. I just remember having more of a life in New York. I live in a golf community now. I never see any neighbors.. where are they?? It is like a ghost town.. I plan to sell my home and go back where I belong.. and kiss the dirty sidewalks when I get there!
Dorothy in Spring Hill

Old 01-03-2007, 12:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,066 times
I live in miami and I love it :

I make plenty more than $5 an hour. Anyone complaining about how much they are getting paid needs to find a new job. An education should help you in this area.

My house is roomy and affordable. Even including all of the taxes mentioned, a house costs less per sqft in Florida than NY.

I can drive anywhere in 20min or less. I don't have to walk to the subway, don't need a taxi, and dont need to walk in huge crowds.

I would much rather have a hurricane than a snow storm. Hurricanes are monitored and forecasted days in advance. In fact, I love to watch the hurricanes, I have a good view. My house has never blown away. Our hurricane taxes pay for all of the damages if any occur.

At the same time, the things that I see as positive could be seen as negative by others. People who rather live in NY do. People who rather live in Florida do. If anyone is not happy where they are, they should go somewhere that makes them happy.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 AM

11 posts, read 29,127 times
Gawd i lived in Fort lauderdale FL from 91 till a year ago

im in ATL now

there has to be nothing sadder then a Xmas in Florida.

Not to mention no sense of community or belonging...

Nevermind the drugs...

Everything is a 20-30 minute drive unless you live in Miami Beach where you can kind of pretend to live in a city, although it's a over hyped couple of streets

Yes i went through hurricane Wilma... I had no power for 25 days. No water. I was lucky enough to be able to go to my mother in law's in Boca Raton since she got electricity a few days later. I had neighbors with kids that 3 weeks later were still ****tting in plastic bags.
Oh yeah, my neighbors ENTIRE roof flew off and landed on my roof. Except we didtn know that s what happened, and from the sound we thought our roof was collapsing over us. My wife and my 3 dogs and a cat were in a panic on a couch hoping it would stop.

I bought a huge house in Atlanta and got out of there.

I will take NYC anyday.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,632,232 times
Wink Yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy-new to SH View Post
Okay.. I have to step in too..
I was born in the Bronx, raised in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn and lived on Long Island until six months ago. I now live in Florida and hate it! Why you ask? Well.. although I live in a beautiful home, I have to turn back the clock to when I was 17 years old and earned 5 dollars an hour. There is plenty to do here and the weather is great, but when you are making 5 dollars an hour, who can afford to have any fun?
I say there is good and bad no matter where you live. I just remember having more of a life in New York. I live in a golf community now. I never see any neighbors.. where are they?? It is like a ghost town.. I plan to sell my home and go back where I belong.. and kiss the dirty sidewalks when I get there!
Dorothy in Spring Hill
We lived in a beautiful area of S. Florida- Gated community, high security. Last Christmas the neighborhood was 80% vacant. Home invasions. It's not just about pay, even people who retired/went down there with money become disenchanted.
Good luck on your move. Our HOI would have been 12k this year-lol. We are happy to be out!

sunny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: