Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 11:47 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been following this forum with great interest, as I am looking to purchase a property in Western/Central New York. The home will be for summer use, but I'm not looking necessarilly for a resort/lake/country property. I am mainly interested in the Finger Lakes Region, but I have searched real estate websites, and it appears that Jamestown is a very attractive town, and the real estate prices seem unbelievably low.

Is anyone here from Jamestown, and could you tell me what you think if the town/area? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,177 times
Jamestown is quite a ways from the Finger Lakes. It's a pretty little town though, and the birthplace of Lucille Ball. It is close to Lake Chautaugua, which is very beautiful, and Lake Erie. Here's a pic of Chautaugua:

http://www.co.chautauqua.ny.us/sewer/aerial.jpg (broken link)

We live right in-between Seneca and Cayuga Lakes, and it's beautiful, but lakefront property can get pricey here. I don't know how taxes compare, but if you've been following the forums, you already know that our taxes are stupid high.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:38 PM

94 posts, read 460,510 times
Default Good Choice With Jamestown

I have lived in Jamestown for the majority of my life, and I can say that you would be making a great decision to have a summer home here. You mentioned that the housing prices where low, this is very true IN THE CITY. We have some of the lowest housing prices in America. If you want a house on the lake, that is more of a normal market price. A nice house in the city belive it or not, can be had for $75,000, if not less. On the lake you are looking to double easily. I really don't know what else you would like to know other than house prices, but I can answer any question you may have about the area.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:32 AM

636 posts, read 1,916,522 times
Thanks to both of you. I understand it isn't really near the Finger Lakes, I was just pointing out that I was looking in both places for comparison. I simply love Upstate NY ( actually I love ALL of New York).

Because I haven't actually been to Jamestown, I guess what I'm really looking for are general impressions of residents about their town. Doesn't appear to be high crime, and there seems to be plenty of recreational opportunities.

I have another trip to NY planned this summer, so I intend to get out to the western side this time. Thanks again. + to both of you.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:49 AM

969 posts, read 2,073,292 times
Hi, I moved to the Jamestown area recently. To me, the western southern-tier of NY seems a bit of a secret, it's difficult to compete with NYC, Catskills, Adirondacks, 1000 Islands, Niagara Falls, Finger Lakes, etc. I love it here because the population density is very low, lots of beautiful country, lakes/rivers, recreation, low cost of living (outside of taxes, which is common to every part of NY), very distinct seasons, and close proximity to Buffalo and Erie, PA. I think most people are happy here but the major complaints are economy and weather (winter). I'm probably in the minority that loves the weather here (some areas here get ~200" of snow), though I wouldn't mind a little shorter winter season. People in Ohio seem to like it here very much, I see lots of them here on vacation. The Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie areas are very much like the Finger Lakes with some beautiful homes and small towns, lake views, wineries, etc.

You can get some amazing bargains in real estate here, especially within the city of Jamestown. The only high priced real estate seems to be on Chautauqua and Findley Lakes.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:05 PM

94 posts, read 460,510 times
Ty,

Summer is the best itme to come to WNY in my opinion. We come alive in this area. The schedule of events for our area is jammed packed with good times to be had!

Our residents really love the area around Jamestown. The city itself is kind of split in my opinion. While the majority think the city is great, full of history, that type of thing. On the other hand you have the negative Nancy's who disagree. Like the other poster stated the major gripe's are the economy and weather.

I think you will enjoy your visit. Let me recommend the Chautauqua County visiters website, and also check out the site for the Chautauqua Institution.

Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,819 times
I personally love Jamestown... but many of my friends disagree. It's great if you like golf, hunting, fishing, snowmobiling, anything out doors. I drive fifteen minutes from the city there is the country and I think most of the people are great. I love the lake its beautiful in the summer (especially having a boat) with great places to go like Bemus Point and Long Point which are summer hot spot favorites on the lake. It all depends on what you are looking for. Its definitely not a booming economy any where in WNY but thats why you get the great realestate discounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York