Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 06:43 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,836,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhead View Post
Would you consider Charleston SC? The land in Johns Jsland is quite cheap, low tax here. Weather is nice enough that rarely snow, about 330 sunny days a year. Beach is so close and the charm of histotic cities.
Yeah, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 01:49 AM

6,180 posts, read 4,573,145 times
My sister in law moved to Florida where her son lives because she thought it was sunny and cheerful and she now states it stinks to the high heavens and she hates it. My mother moved to a more northern area in the 90s and never came back.

I ended up in Delaware, less than an hour from Dover, Kiplinger's #1 retirement destination. If you like Florida weather, and you'd better be sure you do, DE might be just the place for you. In my area near the MD border there is a half hour drive through farm country to get to anything. Half an hour to the shore and all the retirement communities and stores and restaurants and traffic you could possibly want. Half an hour to the Chesapeake Bay. Half an hour to Salisbury MD. A little bit more to Dover and that's all four directions.

I can say the weather is way hotter than I expected and that my arthritis, which ached badly in the NY winter, pulses and throbs here in the humidity, and my fingers swell like sausages. My knees don't hurt any more because there are no stairs here. Odd what you notice, isn't it?

The supermarkets are nice and the cost of food is good. The cost of power and taxes are stunningly low to an ex-NYer. The quiet is lovely and the people are friendly, whether natives or transplants. We are on the "right" side of the Mason-Dixon line and politics are not a big issue like in NY, although they are almost perfectly divided 50-50 here. DE is progressive on recycling and water conservation and gay rights. There are some beautiful little towns and amazing old houses out here in farm country, along with some surprising dumps and enough foreclosures that you know you're still in the real world.

I haven't been here long and I'm being as objective as I can, but that's my take so far. Oh, northern DE, which I used to know, had hellish traffic. Driving here is pretty nice, good roads, straight, flat, easy.

Come and visit if you check out down this way.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:28 PM

772 posts, read 392,173 times
As an native New Yorker residing in Florida, looking to move out, here are some reasons to look elsewhere:

-Low wages, lack of affordable housing causes many newcomers to live in local motels especially in Orlando/Kissimmee area

-Hurricanes, sink holes, unbearable summer heat and humidity.

-Sharks congregate on Atlantic side, shark bites (Daytona Beach is infamous for sharks)

- Many lakes not swimmable due to parasitic ameba and alligators

- If you are used to attending cultural events, museums, etc., forget it

- Outside of cities, very rural

- Depending on where you live you can expect the following wildlife in your yard: wild boar, bear, alligators, snakes, lizards, red ants that bite, foxes, cougars, raccoons etc.

If you feel you can adjust to life in Florida, by all means move here. Be prepared for true cultural shock. I am considering North Carolina.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:56 AM

1,343 posts, read 2,013,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post
As an native New Yorker residing in Florida, looking to move out, here are some reasons to look elsewhere:

-Low wages, lack of affordable housing causes many newcomers to live in local motels especially in Orlando/Kissimmee area

-Sharks congregate on Atlantic side, shark bites (Daytona Beach is infamous for sharks)

- Depending on where you live you can expect the following wildlife in your yard: wild boar, bear, alligators, snakes, lizards, red ants that bite, foxes, cougars, raccoons etc.

If you feel you can adjust to life in Florida, by all means move here. Be prepared for true cultural shock. I am considering North Carolina.

Don't listen to this troll. All she does is complain about moving to Florida & she is contemplating a move to Syracuse, NY. On this thread now it is N. Carolina. Just shows you she is off her meds.

Florida is what you make it. It is not perfect, nothing is. I don't like the ocean for the aforementioned sharks. No problem, I go to the 2 community pools in my community, one of which has a fitness center. There have been more hurricanes that hit NYC in the last 10 years then Florida. Yes, it is hot, but everything is air conditioned. I'd rather suffer with 3 months of brutal summer where at least I can go outside to do things, then 3 months of brutal wi term where during a snowstorm you're stuck in your house for 24 hours +.

People here are a lot friendlier, there are fewer tolls, the roads are in better conditions, and the cost of living is lower, hence lower wages. It's all relative. You want to pay your teachers $100,000 a year, well your property taxes will be at least $12,000 a year like it is in NY.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:17 PM

93,944 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Don't listen to this troll. All she does is complain about moving to Florida & she is contemplating a move to Syracuse, NY. On this thread now it is N. Carolina. Just shows you she is off her meds.

Florida is what you make it. It is not perfect, nothing is. I don't like the ocean for the aforementioned sharks. No problem, I go to the 2 community pools in my community, one of which has a fitness center. There have been more hurricanes that hit NYC in the last 10 years then Florida. Yes, it is hot, but everything is air conditioned. I'd rather suffer with 3 months of brutal summer where at least I can go outside to do things, then 3 months of brutal wi term where during a snowstorm you're stuck in your house for 24 hours +.

People here are a lot friendlier, there are fewer tolls, the roads are in better conditions, and the cost of living is lower, hence lower wages. It's all relative. You want to pay your teachers $100,000 a year, well your property taxes will be at least $12,000 a year like it is in NY.
I don't understand why that poster has a thread about Syracuse in the Florida forum. This is C-D though.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM

355 posts, read 391,787 times
Reason below:
To save you the time of starting a blog 20 reasons I hate Florida

Old 08-22-2017, 12:27 PM

355 posts, read 391,787 times
[quote=Antoinette118;49257216]As an native New Yorker residing in Florida, looking to move out, here are some reasons to look elsewhere:

If you feel you can adjust to life in Florida, by all means move here. Be prepared for true cultural shock. I am considering North Carolina.[

Love reading your posts.
Can you start a thread why I hate NC and why I shouldn't have moved here.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:13 PM

772 posts, read 392,173 times
The truth is the truth about Florida. If you are used to a fast paced New York City environment. You will experience culture shock.

The only troll on here is you.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:52 AM

461 posts, read 556,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
My sister in law moved to Florida where her son lives because she thought it was sunny and cheerful and she now states it stinks to the high heavens and she hates it. My mother moved to a more northern area in the 90s and never came back.

I ended up in Delaware, less than an hour from Dover, Kiplinger's #1 retirement destination. If you like Florida weather, and you'd better be sure you do, DE might be just the place for you. In my area near the MD border there is a half hour drive through farm country to get to anything. Half an hour to the shore and all the retirement communities and stores and restaurants and traffic you could possibly want. Half an hour to the Chesapeake Bay. Half an hour to Salisbury MD. A little bit more to Dover and that's all four directions.

I can say the weather is way hotter than I expected and that my arthritis, which ached badly in the NY winter, pulses and throbs here in the humidity, and my fingers swell like sausages. My knees don't hurt any more because there are no stairs here. Odd what you notice, isn't it?

The supermarkets are nice and the cost of food is good. The cost of power and taxes are stunningly low to an ex-NYer. The quiet is lovely and the people are friendly, whether natives or transplants. We are on the "right" side of the Mason-Dixon line and politics are not a big issue like in NY, although they are almost perfectly divided 50-50 here. DE is progressive on recycling and water conservation and gay rights. There are some beautiful little towns and amazing old houses out here in farm country, along with some surprising dumps and enough foreclosures that you know you're still in the real world.

I haven't been here long and I'm being as objective as I can, but that's my take so far. Oh, northern DE, which I used to know, had hellish traffic. Driving here is pretty nice, good roads, straight, flat, easy.

Come and visit if you check out down this way.
Kind of like I feel right now. I have a few more things to see before I leave, not 100% done but as far as social and economic opportunity, you damn right I'm just about done with the place. Its just haunted no matter how beautiful it is.. I'll probably end up checking a few country areas or something before I leave or areas I haven't been to yet but that's all I can think of. Try more cigars maybe but I got 8 months to do the remaining stuff. I am just getting the impression though that its almost the end.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 AM

461 posts, read 556,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinette118 View Post

Exactly. Even Upstate NY it cant really hurt you. It may be better than I imagined even up in the Dannemora or Plattsburgh area as long as I go to Camp Clinton Mills or something LOL or Churubusco.

I don't want to ramble on I may ask a question or 2 also. But yes the lakes in FL are also bad, you cant go swimming in them and swamp living isn't my thing.

For cultural events, they have greek festivals, maybe a few german ones but not many Italian ones it don't seem. There may be an Oktoberfest here and there though but I do know theres greek festivals.

Outside of cities, I find it is rural minded or it was once rural but the areas built up and now theres gang member types in them or all kinds of druggies, think like Largo, Highpoint, and meth is rampant in Pasco. So the country here isn't all that wholesome either or has regular country living. I know theres a town called Gibsonton, there backwards hillbilly types there but some of them are just backwoods rainbow coalitions.. Think like a GLBT deliverance. I once experienced that. There was a guy from NJ but hes been in FL so long that hes kind of become a backcountry type or the people in the circus he associated with had the heavy drawl. But ya if you go to the country, you risk finding not just hardcore rednecks which would be ok if there was less drugs or dependency problems, but you find alcoholic ex circus types like I described and they seem like a GLBT deliverance crowd or a rainbow coalition in the backcountry who are just segregated rejects from the urban GLBT communities. I literally once pictured a scenario where one of them would say SQUEAL LIKE A PIG too lol.. So ya I find in rural areas you can find that too depending on where you go.

So do you think NC is better all in all? You're talking like you may think its more civilized anyhow. I was having a conversation with my stepdad, he said he went to Portland OR area to visit and hes there right now on business but he went to see his son also and he told me it seems run down more in many areas now compared to before and I said the same happened when I went back to Sarasota too. Sarasota felt more vibrant in 2006 easily or better yet 2004 than it does today. So I don't know if that's a plague happening everywhere or not but ya I notice the entire TB area but Sarasota stands out to me as somewhere that was once quite vibrant but has lost a lot of it beyond the real rich parts. But even the area where the hospital is I saw as a more vibrant place at a time plus I used to go to bars at that time and socialize more too so.. I'd be at the bars more and get more out of the social scene.. but today I don't do that so much or go to bars at all really and I find things are declining.. but ya I wanted to use that example but my stepdad told me he finds that he went back to Portland and finds even more people are stoned and the area looks more run down even in Portland proper where they fixed a lot of places up. So it just shows.. It may be these areas where people move in and out of, experience transiency and newcomers that things can go to crap or they aren't as well preserved because people don't make a commitment to be there kind of thing. Upstate NY now on the other hand.. its the same as it used to be even today. Go back to 1990 and now, nothings changed. Same with New Hampshire in many parts too but Portland and Sarasota FL areas look to be experiencing a downward vibe. Just 2 examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York