Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 04:10 PM

2 posts, read 919 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, a newb here.

I'd like to provide some background information as it will make both of our lives and the search easier.

So the main objective of this thread is to get some information on the suburbs surrounding NYC as a place to move from Brighton Beach (BK), where we live(d) for over 10 years.
My folks seem to become attached to the beach, and would prefer to live within the walking distance from one. So that rules out a lot of inland communities in NJ, Westchester and Long Island.
Besides parents, I have a younger brother who will be attending 9th grade this fall, it would be nice for him to go to the school where metal detectors aren't a norm.
Another prerequisite is the commute to NYC; preferably under 2 hours and having multiple options would be great, personally I prefer commuter rail, but buses would be ok too, granted that they are reliable.
As for me, I'll be finishing my bArch upcoming spring and would likely move out by fall 2017.

As I understand, budget is the key, and this is the tough one: 400K +/- 50K
Preferable typology would be a single family house, but condo might do as well, granted if maintenance fees are low.

I'm sure there is much more that goes into selecting a neighborhood/house and I would welcome any feedback.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:59 PM

19,301 posts, read 17,179,191 times
Stay where you are or be more realistic in what you are willing to accept, the walk to the beach requirement alone eliminates most of your options.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:58 PM

5,308 posts, read 6,216,838 times
Laurence Harbor, Cliffwood Beach, Keyport, Union Beach or Keansburg, NJ. Drive to NYC or take the New Jersey Coast Line train.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Stay where you are or be more realistic in what you are willing to accept, the walk to the beach requirement alone eliminates most of your options.
Well, while there are good aspects to staying in BB; like good commute and the beach, it also means having to deal without a car, since parking is seldom and expensive,
having to deal with rental unit that was outdated when we moved in 10 years ago and myriad of small annoying things that have become the fabric of the neighborhood.
What would be the drawbacks of those NJ neighborhoods listed below?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Laurence Harbor, Cliffwood Beach, Keyport, Union Beach or Keansburg, NJ. Drive to NYC or take the New Jersey Coast Line train.
There is one concern that I have regarding NJT, is that how soon the (one of the) Hudson tunnels will be taken out of service and how much service reduction too/from NYPenn should one expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York