Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2008, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 13,840 times

Advertisements

how's the neighborhood, I fond an apt there, really cheap and that scares me, anyone know that area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,490,654 times
Neighborhood is fine. Lots of BU students.

You may want to check out the condition of the apartment as it could be an older one.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:29 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,483,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Neighborhood is fine. Lots of BU students.

You may want to check out the condition of the apartment as it could be an older one.
Yeah the only issue there would be noise, filth, etc. Hope you apt isn't near a traffic light lest ye care to listen to horns blasting 24/7. You'll also enjoy car alarms, drunk college students carrying on at 230am when the bars get out and blasting their horns and boom cars so loud your bed will shake on the third floor, not to mention the sirens on the way to St E's. Then in the AM you'll get treated to commuters from the N-towns who think Comm Ave is their personal highway and blow the lights at sixty as you run for your life in the crosswalk. But if you can deal with that, you got Pho Pastuer and several other excellent restaurants right there, the 57 bus, the green line a few blocks away, Super 88, and all that fun stuff on harvard Ave.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:56 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,353,501 times
I used to live near that intersection about a few years ago (right near Linden St across from the gas station). it's a very busy area, which can be a good or bad thing. I had to deal w/ a lot of the drunk students leaving the White Horse (and feared for my life and didn't leave my apartment when the Sox won the Series). we had a few break-ins on that block, including one at my place where some stuff was stolen. the apartments there tend to be old and a bit run down but ours was pretty spacious (oh, and our place had a bat. fun times there). there's a known infestation of bed bugs in that area, which bites (pun intended) because some of the best thrift stores in Boston are in that area (I highly suggest Urban Renewal). my favorite place used to be the Diskovery used book store across the street from White Horse, but rumors have it it closed down

if you like the undergrad nightlife, you can't go wrong in that area. besides White Horse Tavern, there's the Sunset Tap, Big City Billiards, and Kelis. it has the typical undergrad scene, which, if you are an undergrad, you may like. there's a Shaw's right there and lots of other small stores and restuarants, and convenient access to BU or BC.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,483,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
there's a Shaw's right there and lots of other small stores and restuarants, and convenient access to BU or BC.
And that Shaw's has a damn fine deli. That make your own stir-fry bar is hard to beat for the money, and the selection of prepared foods is great.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,840 times
thank you all, great info. I am from chicago and use to live in the middle of downtown and what u described sounds like home.(except the break in part)

Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,644 times
If it were me, I'd look for an apt just off Comm Ave or go towards Brookline right behind BU. Quieter, a bit safer but just as convenient for getting places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston