Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM

18 posts, read 119,791 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a summer home in the Finger Lakes region of New York. We are undecided as to a home in a town/village near the lake, like Geneva, or something more "secluded" with a few acres. Close proximity to the wineries and lakes is a must.

So far the prices seem affordable, and we haven't found too many areas we don't like.

Are there any residents or vacationers out there who can shed a little "inside knowledge" on this lovely area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 PM

142 posts, read 811,251 times
Did you ever find a summer home? There are so many variables to consider. I live in Skaneateles, which is a beautiful town on an even prettier lake. There are a bunch of lakefront properties available, and other small homes in the village. The finger lakes region is wine country and you would be hard pressed to drive very far to find a winery. We used to have a cottage in Watkins Glen. I did not like WG, but the lake is beautiful (seneca). I went to college in Geneva, and while downtown Geneva is not all that great, the surrounding countryside is beautiful. What type of town is important to you? Do you want a quaint town where you can stroll and go to coffee shops or are you looking for a town that caters to the Bass Pro Shop customer? There are many artsy communities around the lakes, you just need to define your wants.
Joanne

Old 05-23-2007, 01:37 PM

10 posts, read 41,976 times
Would you say that Johnny Angels caters to the quaint artsy stroller or to the Bass Pro shop Customer? Hmmm

Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM

142 posts, read 811,251 times
You're right, I guess I was being shortsighted. And as for Johnny Angels, it has the best burgers around and a varied clientele. Same with Dougs.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 AM

306 posts, read 1,620,205 times
Default Hammondsport

You may want to look into Hammondsport, and the more western Finger Lakes generally.

Hammondsport is a GREAT little town. Not too popular or developed or pretentious, yet well worth being cherished like the more popular, etc., places. Peaceful, friendly, cozy, with two or three nice restaurats/taverns, great old houses, a real small-town feel, protective of its traditions yet very easy-going. There's a very nice beach right in town--the town is not separated from its lake by a major road as is the case in a number of Finger Lake towns. Get some coffee from the excellent coffee shop in the early morning and go for a walk along the lakefront and around town, and then soak in the rising light in the village square park as everyone's waking up--it's a gorgeous experience. In mid-summer, the morning light just dazzles you off the lake.

It doesn't hurt that, though prices have risen in the last few years, it's probably among the less-costly Finger Lakes towns/areas to buy in.

To give you an example of how special, how serene-feeling, Hammondsport is: my wife and I have traveled around Upstate NY and the country quite a bit, and we have plenty of cherised places, from northern California forests to the Virginia coast. But after learning that a favorite student of mine (it's not professional to admit it, but I loved this kid) was among those murdered in the Virginia Tech slaughter, my wife says that that night while I slept, I kept saying, "Ross, let's go Hammondsport--you'll be okay there."

All I know is that when I awoke I heard myself saying, "Ross is in heaven now."

To get an agnostic like me to say/dream/feel that, Hammondsport has got to be pretty special. If we could choose one Finger Lakes town (excepting Cooperstown, which I guess technically may not a Finger Lakes town) to settle in, for our family now that our kids are young and for ourselves years hence, it would be Hammondsport.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:56 AM

18 posts, read 119,791 times
I thank you for all of your responses.

We are still looking. We found our dream house, but it did not work out.

Hammondsport is where it all began for us. I have been visiting there for more than 30 years. My parents took us kids there. My wife and I return several times per year. It does have a certain peacefulness that I haven't found anywhere else. The dream house was just minutes north with acres and a lake. We are torn between village living and country living. Both have their pluses.

The concern we have with Western Fingerlakes is the windfarm issue. I would not want to find a 500' windmill obscuring my view.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:29 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,936 times
my husband and his family have a cottage on keuka and his dad has a country house in branchport I love keuka!!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:08 AM

3 posts, read 14,881 times
I'd agree, Keuka Lake is amazing! My parents bought a "summer cottage" about 5 years ago and now they live there all the time because they love it so much. They live on the east side of the bluff which is about a 10-15 mins drive to Penn Yan. I highly recommend Keuka.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:54 PM

36 posts, read 194,723 times
I've been to Skaneateles once and it seems like a very nice town. Though didn't see anything that night cuz it was a really cold night...like minus 20 something (windchill)..

Old 05-14-2009, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 52,626 times
Also very close to Hammondsport, you'll find Waneta and Lamoka Lakes both are wonderful places with good value and fantastic views. They are not technically Finger Lakes because they flow south into the Susquehanna but beautiful and more reasonably priced than Keuka; 4 miles from hammondsport and 13 from Watkins Glen. I did the same search as you and I recomment curbeaurealty.com to search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York