Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 03:45 AM

13,006 posts, read 18,927,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where in the Finger Lakes and what type of job, if you don't mind me asking?
I believe it was in Ithaca, and it was an Engineering position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 05:43 AM

93,549 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I believe it was in Ithaca, and it was an Engineering position.
What you could have done is live somewhere like Cortland or Homer, which would put you within a reasonable distance of Syracuse and to a lesser degree, Binghamton, just in case.

I believe that Ithaca has other tech companies that could use engineers. BinOptics, CBORD, BorgWarner and Kionix are some that come to mind. So, it might not have been as bad as you thought.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:52 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Albany: Decent, had some nice roads (787, Circle Stack) and an impressive skyline for a city of less than 100K people. Downtown area was fine, but didnt feel as safe in the areas around it. Like I didnt feel safe at all in Schenectady.

Syracuse: Probably the best of the four and my 2nd favorite. A lot of roads for that city of 144K. Unlike the others, it did increase population wise by 7K between 2009-10, but is starting to fall again. Also, traffic is pretty common on the interchange ramps due to toll booths.

Buffalo: It reminded me of my trip to Detroit, just much smaller. In the East Side, I felt like I was driving in Brightmoor, Detroit like I did a few months ago. Downtown was eh, my only favorite part was Niagara Falls, and would prefer the Canada side over the NY side.

Rochester: My personal favorite. Felt safe in Downtown, but not in areas South of the Inner Loop. Traffic was fine at rush hour, unlike Fairfield County Connecticut.
Uhhhh, you need to understand the difference between Metro Area and municpal boundry. Rochester and Buffalo have increased population in their Metro Regions... Syracuse has not. Suburban flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Well, as I mentioned before, those cities were mentioned as places to compare and contrast with Upstate cities. Just as the OP also compared Detroit to Buffalo. Its not a big deal. Lets move on.

OP, I'd also agree best to worst- Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, and Buffalo.
Meh... Have you visited all four?

By far it goes like this:

Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse.

Syracuse is a dump.

Old 07-30-2014, 07:54 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,412,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I agree with a lot of this except it always seems like things are "proposed" and "wait and see" with Upstate, with little of it coming to fruition. It seems like in other areas, things actually happen and growth actually happens, documented in many media publications.

There also seems to be so much misinformation out there regarding growth (2nd best state job growth since recession) and the person below who keeps lying about Buffalo's growth.

First, I'd say that insulting someone is not the way to get people to reconsider moving to your area.

Second, lying to them is really not going to help. If Buffalo was growing by 4% a year since the recession ended officially in 2009, you'd have 305k people in the city in 2014. This is utter nonsense and VA Yankee called you out on it already.

2010: 261,179
2011: 260,371
2012: 259,384

https://www.google.com/#q=buffalo+population

I'm trying to remain cool about this stuff being posted here, but it really makes me angry because people rely on this information to relocate and people like you lie to them to make the city seem better than it actually is. The last time Buffalo had 305k people was 1999.
Growth = Growth in GDP, not population.

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Uhhhh, you need to understand the difference between Metro Area and municpal boundry. Rochester and Buffalo have increased population in their Metro Regions... Syracuse has not. Suburban flight.

Meh... Have you visited all four?

By far it goes like this:

Rochester, Buffalo, Albany, Syracuse.

Syracuse is a dump.
Actually, Syracuse has increased population within its metro as well and between Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, Syracuse has the lower crime rate and only Albany is lower out of the four. This is the case on the metro level as well. So, I don't get how Syracuse is a dump, when its crime rate is lower on a city and metro level, along with increasing its population in the metro as well. Syracuse between 2000-2010 only lost about 1% of its population within the city, while Buffalo lost about 10% and Rochester 4% in the same time period. Albany increased by a little over 2% within city limits during the same period.

Syracuse also has the second highest average annual pay out of the 4 and has the 3rd lowest cost of living on a metro level.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2014 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 09:32 AM

19,256 posts, read 17,124,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Growth = Growth in GDP, not population.

My bank account grew by 1/2 of 1% over 10 years increasing my GDP but I wouldn't call that growth...

OP your impressions in post #41 are refreshing, it's nice to read a clear unbiased post...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 07-30-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:01 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,264,408 times
Quote:
Actually, Syracuse has increased population within its metro as well and between Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse, Syracuse has the lower crime rate and only Albany is lower out of the four. This is the case on the metro level as well. So, I don't get how Syracuse is a dump, when its crime rate is lower on a city and metro level, along with increasing its population in the metro as well. Syracuse between 2000-2010 only lost about 1% of its population within the city, while Buffalo lost about 10% and Rochester 4% in the same time period. Albany increased by a little over 2% within city limits during the same period.

Syracuse also has the second highest average annual pay out of the 4 and has the 3rd lowest cost of living on a metro level.
CK - I understand that developers cannot convert old downtown multi-story store buildings and office buildings to rental apartments fast enough to keep up with demand. True?

Old 07-30-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
CK - I understand that developers cannot convert old downtown multi-story store buildings and office buildings to rental apartments fast enough to keep up with demand. True?
If you are talking about Syracuse, then actually Yes. I believe that the Downtown apartment occupancy rate is in the high 90's, if not still at 99% in terms of percentage, with more being constructed or planned. Even some villages and smaller cities nearby are getting into this trend with plans or even some Downtown housing as well.

I don't know how updated this is, but here is some information: http://downtownsyracuse.com/assets/D...t-Overview.pdf

http://theiconcompanies.com/wp-conte...-Street-v6.pdf

Living » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-30-2014 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Take a chill pill. My point is made. Should have been directed to the OP. My sincere apologies. I bow down to you.
I wouldn't care except that you quote me on every post. Ok. All is forgiven.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM

2,441 posts, read 6,264,408 times
Quote:
If you are talking about Syracuse, then actually Yes. I believe that the Downtown apartment occupancy rate is in the high 90's, if not still at 99% in terms of percentage, with more being constructed or planned. Even some villages and smaller cities nearby are getting into this trend with plans or even some Downtown housing as well.

I don't know how updated this is, but here is some information: http://downtownsyracuse.com/assets/D...t-Overview.pdf

http://theiconcompanies.com/wp-conte...-Street-v6.pdf

Living » Downtown Committee of Syracuse
It's an unstoppable trend. Beautiful old buildings having zero value as office space being converted to residential use. It's happening all over. And with more people comes more retail, and with more retail comes more people.

It's also happening with commercial in small cities. I went to a music festival in downtown Peekskill (Westchester) last weekend, and I could not believe the revitalization. You had a very nice restaurant row, with a brand new oversized "hip" restaurant that they must have dumped a couple of million into. Talk about confidence in a downtown.

And this was a downtown that had been left for dead, then slowly improved, and now appears to be going fill tilt. And they've cleaned up the Hudson waterfront, which was an industrial wasteland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York