Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 AM

294 posts, read 745,048 times

Advertisements

Ha, good news about All American Burgers being open, but seriously, I would be hesitant to eat anything containing meat this soon after the hurricane, don't know if any of it went for a period without refrigeration. Lotta folks I talk to are looking to go to restaurants or cook up some supermarket-bought meat at home. I'd wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:38 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,792,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Thx. We were fortunate. Some wind damage to trees and fence and no power for 6 days but otherwise all is well. Now my house is chix soup, pasta, shower and laundry central for friends still w/ out power. Everyone is braving it out but with school re-opening tomorrow, more (especially with kids) are taking people up on the offer to do laundry and shower. So tough to get going in the cold AM without power. Oddly the miracle stuff is seeing massive trees that fell and missed everything (wires, people, house). Like those tornado pics where one house was spared. Just shake your head and go "wow, what are the chances." As the power gets restored, things are getting back to "new" normal. NY'ers are still the most resilient bastards on the planet.
Great Post Mongoose.

MikeyKid, what do you expect? Right now no one cares about climate change, the next storm or any of that crap. They just want heat and power for their homes and gas for their cars and if you were here that would be your priority as well. So yeah getting back to "normal" is important right now.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:06 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,044,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
MikeyKid, what do you expect? Right now no one cares about climate change, the next storm or any of that crap. They just want heat and power for their homes and gas for their cars and if you were here that would be your priority as well. So yeah getting back to "normal" is important right now.
I was writing in context to the OP and all the Cuomo bashing - it's exactly the same question with that - "what do you expect?" In that regard, I don't see a change in government leadership making any difference for when this happens again - and it will.

Please bear in mind I'm saying this with most of my family and friends (60+ year old in some cases) sleeping in a freezing cold house with no power or heat - captives to gas lines and getting bullied by arseholes who only care about themselves. Talking to them on the phone flipping between exhaustion, near tears, and flat out unabashed anger... and this is only part of LI. Look around - some areas will likely never be back to "normal" even when they finally get all the water and sand out of their livingrooms - considering that they even have a house left at all in NY.

It's horribly disingenuous to forget about people who lost everything in a rush to worry about power and gas for yourself - which frankly is an overriding theme that contradicts the hypocrisy of calling "NYer's the most resilient bastards on the planet" - sure, if by resilience you mean stepping on a 60 year old woman's throat to get your gas tank full ahead of hers. The stories I am hearing and the whining on these boards are not of resilience. Wrong word.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I was writing in context to the OP and all the Cuomo bashing - it's exactly the same question with that - "what do you expect?" In that regard, I don't see a change in government leadership making any difference for when this happens again - and it will.

Please bear in mind I'm saying this with most of my family and friends (60+ year old in some cases) sleeping in a freezing cold house with no power or heat - captives to gas lines and getting bullied by arseholes who only care about themselves. Talking to them on the phone flipping between exhaustion, near tears, and flat out unabashed anger... and this is only part of LI. Look around - some areas will likely never be back to "normal" even when they finally get all the water and sand out of their livingrooms - considering that they even have a house left at all in NY.

It's horribly disingenuous to forget about people who lost everything in a rush to worry about power and gas for yourself - which frankly is an overriding theme that contradicts the hypocrisy of calling "NYer's the most resilient bastards on the planet" - sure, if by resilience you mean stepping on a 60 year old woman's throat to get your gas tank full ahead of hers. The stories I am hearing and the whining on these boards are not of resilience. Wrong word.
Says the man preaching from his high horse in NC. Unreal.

Who are you to say people aren't resilient here?? For every dumb story I see on Newsday about some idiot cutting a line at a gas station, I see people like mongoose helping their neighbors at every turn. People offering up their homes, generator power anything they can to make life a little better for those without. Same goes for those who lost everything, people are banding together all over to help each other.

If you notice I put normal in quotes, it will be a long time before things do go back to "normal" here and for some they will never be the same. Look I know you probably have such a hatred for LI youd love to see us crash and burn. I'm sorry but we will continue to disappoint you. LI will get through this as it always has.

Old 11-04-2012, 08:21 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,480,649 times
Quote:
CNN had Islip as 3rd overall on the highest wind recordings from Sandy - something like 91 mph. Trees tore my mother's block up and she's without power still because she falls into those small groups that don't get the LIPA priority.

This event really shows how vulnerable the area is, which is compounded by an easily interrupted supply chain - which is further compounded by 40+ year old infrastructure never built to withstand floods and high winds. Which is hilarious in retrospect considering an overhead view of an ISLAND.

I still don't understand how people don't get with the obvious climate change issue here - Cuomo and Bloomberg finally got it. Everyone is in such a rush to "get back to normal" that they're overlooking that bandaids to get you all back your power, heat, and full gas stations will do absolutely ZERO towards helping when an event like this happens again - look at the crazy weather around the world. This was a glancing blow from a Cat 1... unless something is done, it's just going to be killing time until the next storm puts you right back in this position - screaming for the head of the next governor - screaming to break-up the next power company - rinse - repeat.
Infrastructure is a failing of the reigning government bodies the last 30-40 years or so. Doubly so post-Gloria days. It is also the fault of the do-nothing NIMBY's and those who don't realize spending $1 today saves you $2 tomorrow.

Supply problems are a fault of the reigning elected officials. Plenty of better ways to have fixed that problem, instead they opted for "free gas".

Also..

The problem lies with the individuals who were not prepared for this storm. Half-full tanks of gas, no spare cans, no stored food or water, no plan for extended outages other then complaining.

Bloomy and Cuomo get nothing other then photo-ops and ways to pad their next electoral campaign.

As for "crazy weather", all I see is more of the same, with increased media hype.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,125,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Says the man preaching from his high horse in NC. Unreal.

Who are you to say people aren't resilient here?? For every dumb story I see on Newsday about some idiot cutting a line at a gas station, I see people like mongoose helping their neighbors at every turn. People offering up their homes, generator power anything they can to make life a little better for those without. Same goes for those who lost everything, people are banding together all over to help each other.

If you notice I put normal in quotes, it will be a long time before things do go back to "normal" here and for some they will never be the same. Look I know you probably have such a hatred for LI youd love to see us crash and burn. I'm sorry but we will continue to disappoint you. LI will get through this as it always has.
Great post, like you said we WILL get through this the same as Long Island has gotten through every other disaster in it's history. We are alot tougher than many people realize.

I get a real laugh out of all these clowns in Florida or North Carolina constantly knocking Long Island - they are just upset that they made a bad move and found out that the grass is not always greener elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2012, 02:38 PM

2,630 posts, read 5,006,026 times
Quote:

While you describe your 2nd hand description of your family's plight, you then add anecdotal crap about people stepping on a 60 yr old's throat. Yeah, there may be some scattered incidents, but mostly people pulling together to get through.

Once again I'll bite and entertain that idiocy that one shouldn't be concerned about getting power while other's lost homes. My power coming on has gotten family and friends out of shelters, closer to home, showers, laundry, hot food, etc. That people don't want their kids sleeping in 38 degree darkness doesn't mean they've "forgotten about those who lost everything." It's such an idiotic hypothesis just spouted to find something negative to say. It's all about paying it forward, backward and sideways.

Frankly, I'm sick up to here with ex-pats chiming in about ANYTHING from the politics, to LIPA, to who's selfish for wanting their life back together. Just save it for tuesday and vote. Otherwise, shut up and find something constructive to do.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

Frankly, I'm sick up to here with ex-pats chiming in about ANYTHING from the politics, to LIPA, to who's selfish for wanting their life back together. Just save it for tuesday and vote. Otherwise, shut up and find something constructive to do.
Amen.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,524,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Sean, here is a little info on how long the problem of being in an area susceptible to storm surge was known, and even some plans to handle it. Unfortunately there was little follow through on the plans.

How Sandy’s fury savaged Staten Island - NYPOST.com
Can't view this on my phone, but I'll check it tomorrow. I'm curious in what ways the storm surge experienced here could have been dealt with through engineering - and extremely skeptical that it would have been both effective and less costly than rebuilding. The loss of human life should have been avoided through mandatory evacuations, but as people brought up in other threads - I can't blame those people after 30 years of the media crying wolf every time we experience something slightly more than a drizzle.

And most importantly, before all of this actually happened it was never anything more than a possibility. A possibility that didn't look all that realistic in many ways. Recorded history was at odds with what had been predicted. Even looking forward, I'm more inclined to say this is the exception that proves the rule (based purely on instincts, not science) but I could be entirely wrong.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 PM

592 posts, read 921,885 times
Can we please get back on topic and discuss what a carnival barker Cuomo is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York