Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:45 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,524,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Here is some great insight into why NYC was hit so hard.

Typical politician who notices and addresses a problem that has been sitting like an 800 pound chimp in his limo after the crap hits the fan.

Cuomo: NY needs new protection from natural disasters - NYPOST.com
So what was Cuomo supposed to do, amidst the massive budget crisis of the last several years and cries from all sides to cut spending? Was he supposed to get the Army Corps of Engineers out here to lift the entirety of Manhattan another 30 feet above sea level in the most unrealistically fantastic public works project ever dreamed up? Because anything less would have done nothing. Or was it realistic for him to not really worry that much that New York City's system of tunnels - which had experienced major flooding all of ONCE in the last 120 years or so - probably didn't need the attention that more pressing matters required?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,162,464 times
It wasn't just Cuomo Sean but every single Gov, mayor and county supervisor who ignored that the area was a disaster waiting to happen. And it's not the frequency of an event but what are the effects of one when (not if) it hits. And guess what, this wasn't the worst the area could have been hit with.

So now we will have some fantastic public works projects on top of a budget crisis and the bailout that will have taxpayers footing the bill. At least the folks of Staten Island know that Bloomberg will make sure they don't drink too much soda.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l-society.html

Old 11-04-2012, 06:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,251,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
I saw cuomo here in massapequa on tuesday. Hasnt dont diddly got us. Btw all american is opem now
Are they able to cut their own fries again or do they need to use Ready Cut due to the power issues?

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,162,464 times
Sean, here is a little info on how long the problem of being in an area susceptible to storm surge was known, and even some plans to handle it. Unfortunately there was little follow through on the plans.

How Sandy’s fury savaged Staten Island - NYPOST.com

Old 11-04-2012, 07:03 AM

22,705 posts, read 36,900,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Actually he didn't do anything related to that except report that he confirmed with the carriers that the sustained winds in NY did not meet the required levels for hurricane deductible to kick in. Frankly I'm amazed. Some insurance lobbyist is probably getting fired right now.
You can be damn sure they will change the policy wording first chance they get....although truthfully, LI sustained little wind damage - it's mostly the flooding that destroyed houses, and we all know they aren't covering that. And if they flood came first, and then the fire, they will still deny it. A tree through a house isn't that big a deal from an insurer's perspective. Any good, solvent insurer is more than capable of paying a bunch of those claims.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,006,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You can be damn sure they will change the policy wording first chance they get....although truthfully, LI sustained little wind damage - it's mostly the flooding that destroyed houses, and we all know they aren't covering that. And if they flood came first, and then the fire, they will still deny it. A tree through a house isn't that big a deal from an insurer's perspective. Any good, solvent insurer is more than capable of paying a bunch of those claims.
Sorry, Twings. Worst wind damage I've ever seen in America's good old first suburb. 65 year old maples snapping lines all over the place, falling through houses, onto cars, blocking roads and that without a lot of rain. If we had gotten what was predicted it would have been much worse. Yes, it's better than the horror of flooding but a 70ft maple in your living room is no picnic...and the coordinated effort to get it removed goes way back on the utility's priority list as well as the insurance carrier's list. Those people are in the same red cross shelter as the flood victims. Winds in my area were recorded at 80-90mph. I know you were referring to the insurance issue only, but ya gotta ease up on the rhetoric like "little wind damage."

Old 11-04-2012, 07:20 AM

22,705 posts, read 36,900,232 times
Quote:
Sorry, Twings. Worst wind damage I've ever seen in America's good old first suburb. 65 year old maples snapping lines all over the place, falling through houses, onto cars, blocking roads and that without a lot of rain. If we had gotten what was predicted it would have been much worse. Yes, it's better than the horror of flooding but a 70ft maple in your living room is no picnic...and the coordinated effort to get it removed goes way back on the utility's priority list as well as the insurance carrier's list. Those people are in the same red cross shelter as the flood victims. Winds in my area were recorded at 80-90mph. I know you were referring to the insurance issue only, but ya gotta ease up on the rhetoric like "little wind damage."
I meant more like roofs blowing off - I know a tree thru the house is no little thing. I just think that flooding damage is so life-changing in so many ways. But we were talking about this last night - how everyone has their own story and it doesn't matter what anyone else's story is, it just sucks. Hurricane Fran blew thru here 16 years ago and people here FREAK OUT at the mention of a hurricane - and we're pretty far inland. Even with mostly underground service here people were without power for over a week

Hope your house made it thru OK. My ILs made it with no damage, thank God - they are too old too cope with that now.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:27 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,044,137 times
Quote:
CNN had Islip as 3rd overall on the highest wind recordings from Sandy - something like 91 mph. Trees tore my mother's block up and she's without power still because she falls into those small groups that don't get the LIPA priority.

This event really shows how vulnerable the area is, which is compounded by an easily interrupted supply chain - which is further compounded by 40+ year old infrastructure never built to withstand floods and high winds. Which is hilarious in retrospect considering an overhead view of an ISLAND.

I still don't understand how people don't get with the obvious climate change issue here - Cuomo and Bloomberg finally got it. Everyone is in such a rush to "get back to normal" that they're overlooking that bandaids to get you all back your power, heat, and full gas stations will do absolutely ZERO towards helping when an event like this happens again - look at the crazy weather around the world. This was a glancing blow from a Cat 1... unless something is done, it's just going to be killing time until the next storm puts you right back in this position - screaming for the head of the next governor - screaming to break-up the next power company - rinse - repeat.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,006,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I meant more like roofs blowing off - I know a tree thru the house is no little thing. I just think that flooding damage is so life-changing in so many ways. But we were talking about this last night - how everyone has their own story and it doesn't matter what anyone else's story is, it just sucks. Hurricane Fran blew thru here 16 years ago and people here FREAK OUT at the mention of a hurricane - and we're pretty far inland. Even with mostly underground service here people were without power for over a week

Hope your house made it thru OK. My ILs made it with no damage, thank God - they are too old too cope with that now.
Thx. We were fortunate. Some wind damage to trees and fence and no power for 6 days but otherwise all is well. Now my house is chix soup, pasta, shower and laundry central for friends still w/ out power. Everyone is braving it out but with school re-opening tomorrow, more (especially with kids) are taking people up on the offer to do laundry and shower. So tough to get going in the cold AM without power. Oddly the miracle stuff is seeing massive trees that fell and missed everything (wires, people, house). Like those tornado pics where one house was spared. Just shake your head and go "wow, what are the chances." As the power gets restored, things are getting back to "new" normal. NY'ers are still the most resilient bastards on the planet.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,695,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
What is up with that ridiculous Thurston Howell Great Gatsby concerned accent? At least his inept father didn't sound like a 1920's Rockafeller when he ruined people's lives. So ridiculous.
With his link to the Kennedy family what can one expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York