Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 03:52 PM

3 posts, read 15,654 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be relocating from the hot/humid south to the north Utica area in one month to start a new job, but I haven't been able to find a decent place to rent anywhere in the area. My budget is $1,500. The few places that are available either do not accept pets (I have a small dog), or seem sketchy and poorly managed. I'm a single female that has no clue how to handle snow, so I would prefer a safe place with a garage, and one that isn't too far from the grocery store and such.

Considering my lack of options near my place of work, I am seriously considering downtown Syracuse...or really any place in between Syracuse and Utica. I'm not sure about the commute though - especially during the winter. Any advice you have on places to live, and also the commute situation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 04:19 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
This thread may help: Moving back but need rental options along thruway!

I'll try to add more later.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-28-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 05:17 PM

ckhthankgod, thank you! - very helpful info.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:12 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,209 times
Default Apartments & Townhomes ~ Suburban Utica NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeJaneSearch View Post
Hello all,

I will be relocating from the hot/humid south to the north Utica area in one month to start a new job, but I haven't been able to find a decent place to rent anywhere in the area. My budget is $1,500. The few places that are available either do not accept pets (I have a small dog), or seem sketchy and poorly managed. I'm a single female that has no clue how to handle snow, so I would prefer a safe place with a garage, and one that isn't too far from the grocery store and such.

Considering my lack of options near my place of work, I am seriously considering downtown Syracuse...or really any place in between Syracuse and Utica. I'm not sure about the commute though - especially during the winter. Any advice you have on places to live, and also the commute situation would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Hello Jane,

I think you can find a nice, decent, safe rental place in the suburbs of Utica WITHOUT looking farther away from the city area and no need to rent a place in the Metro Syracuse area.

I'll try to help you. The best suburbs around Utica are: New Hartford-(upscale), Clinton-(upscale), Kirkland (not really a village=just an area along Rt. 5 west), Whitesboro-(& "Harts Hill")(nice middle-class areas), New York Mills, Washington Mills, "Maynard" section of Marcy (River Road/Rt. 49), Deerfield township/suburb & "Deefield" section of North Utica; all okay.

The village of Yorkville is mostly older bldgs. Also Oriskany, Schuyler, & Westmoreland = but probably no apts. there. I do not recommend the City of Utica; including the "Cornhill" neighborhood.

The main major multiple shopping plazas & Mall & grocery stores area in the suburban area is along Commercial Drive/Rt. 5-A in New Hartford & New York Mills. (check your Suburban Utica street map).

I'll give you my list of Apartments and Townhomes in the Suburban area of Utica-NY. You will have to phone and visit each Rental Complex to see if they will accept a small dog (be sure to tell them that it is a small dog=sometimes they like to know the dog's weight=35 lbs. & below seem more acceptable a lot of times) and to see if a particular Complex meets your requirements. I am not recommending any particular rental place to you; selecting any place is entirely up to you to judge and decide.

Some Rental Complexes will have garages available at extra rent and some places will not offer garages at all.

My list of Suburban Utica-NY Apartments and Townhomes are as follows:

Lewiston Properties. Phone 315-724-0647
... http://www.apartmenthomeliving.com/a...Y-13323-189037

Lewiston Townhomes
197 Clinton Rd.
New Hartford NY 13413

Lewiston at Meadow Lane
6 Meadow Lane
Clinton NY 13323

Lewiston at White
64 White Street
Clinton NY 13323

Lewiston at Pheasant Run
100 Pheasants Run
Clinton NY 13323 (Clinton Rd.-County Rt. 32, off Route 5-Kirkland/Clarks Mills area)

================================================== ==============

Clintonview Townhomes
55 Clintonview Blvd.
New Hartford NY 13413
.... Ph. 315-724-4900

Swiss Gardens Townhomes
179 Clinton Road
New Hartford NY 13413
.... Ph. 315-724-4900

Sunset Wood Apartments
118 Genesee Street
New Hartford NY 13413
.... Ph. 315-733-1389

Wedgewood Apartments
150 Genesee Street
New Hartford NY 13413
.... Ph. 315-732-8835

Brook View Apartments
4051 Oneida Street
New Hartford NY 13413
.... Ph. 315-733-0213

Chestnut Hill Condo Apartments
4066 Oneida Street
New Hartford NY 13413
.... Ph. 315-733-0213

Sadaquada Apartments
5001 Clinton Road
Whitesboro NY 13492
.... Ph. 315-733-0213

Candlewyck Apartments = (near Expressways- ? maybe noise from traffic ?)
31 Candlewyck Lane
Utica (Deerfield) NY 13502
.... Ph. 315-735-4083

Carolyn Courts Apartments
77 Clinton Street
New York Mills NY
.... Ph. 315-736-0663

Country Club Court Apartments
10 Pulaski Street
New York Mills NY
.... Ph. 315-736-8681

That completes my list of Rental Complexes for you to consider. Feel free to contact me in the future if I can answer any additional questions you might have. Good luck in finding a nice rental place and much success in your new job.

grdnrman

Old 10-04-2012, 07:47 PM

Thank you, grdnrman. This info is very helpful. I knew about Lewiston properties (no availability, unfortunately), but I plan to contact the other places and will hopefully secure something while I'm in town next week. If not... I suppose I will commute from Syracuse for a few months until something is available closer to my work. Thanks again.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 15,900 times
Hi

I am relocating to this area as well... within 4-6 weeks. I did look at a few apts already and am kind of stuck between two apts. Maybe someone can help me decide. I am looking at 100 Pheasants Run, Clinton and an apt in cranberry Lane, New Hartford. Is one area better than the other? The apt at cranberry lane is older and Clinton apt is completely rennovated.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd View Post
Hi

I am relocating to this area as well... within 4-6 weeks. I did look at a few apts already and am kind of stuck between two apts. Maybe someone can help me decide. I am looking at 100 Pheasants Run, Clinton and an apt in cranberry Lane, New Hartford. Is one area better than the other? The apt at cranberry lane is older and Clinton apt is completely rennovated.
You really can't lose in terms of the communities. So, this would come down to the apartment and personal preference in terms of the type of community you like. New Hartford is more like standard suburbia with plenty of shopping, but the village of New Hartford offers walkabilty. Clinton is a village that also offers walkabilty and in a New England like environment. Hamilton College is also in Clinton. New Hartford is closer to Utica.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM

12 posts, read 15,900 times
Thanks for your response.. I have secured myself an apt
Other questions with the upcoming move - what are the best stores to buy furniture from -- given I dont see any Ikeas closeby..

Thanks again!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd View Post
Thanks for your response.. I have secured myself an apt
Other questions with the upcoming move - what are the best stores to buy furniture from -- given I dont see any Ikeas closeby..

Thanks again!
Perhaps you could check out this local store: Furniture Store in Rome NY l Joe Tahan's Furniture in Rome, Yorkville and New Hartford NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York