Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:18 AM

37,808 posts, read 41,097,858 times

Advertisements

I left eastern Long Island and moved to Maryland because of a job change within my same agency 11 years ago and a burning need for change in my life but I would not go back to NY and I don't plan to stay here in Maryland, when I retire next year, either.

Basically it's too expensive in both places and I've changed. There are different things I want to do with my life in retirement than I did during my working life and I will be able to do it more and cheaply elsewhere.

I liked living on Long Island and I like living in Anne Arundel County, Maryland for the things I was and am doing in my life at those points in time but I've grown and those places remain pretty much the same. Neither place are the right fit for me now so I'm getting ready to go off to another state for new adventures.

It's like watching old TV shows that you used to love. Better off remembering them the way they were than looking at them through different eyes, today, and wondering what the heck you saw in them back in the day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 11:07 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,478,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I left eastern Long Island and moved to Maryland because of a job change within my same agency 11 years ago and a burning need for change in my life but I would not go back to NY and I don't plan to stay here in Maryland, when I retire next year, either.

Basically it's too expensive in both places and I've changed. There are different things I want to do with my life in retirement than I did during my working life and I will be able to do it more and cheaply elsewhere.

I liked living on Long Island and I like living in Anne Arundel County, Maryland for the things I was and am doing in my life at those points in time but I've grown and those places remain pretty much the same. Neither place are the right fit for me now so I'm getting ready to go off to another state for new adventures.

It's like watching old TV shows that you used to love. Better off remembering them the way they were than looking at them through different eyes, today, and wondering what the heck you saw in them back in the day.

I agree! I would not go back to NY and the thought has never crossed my mind and I don't remember a picture being painted like that in my neighborhood and I lived in a small town for years. To each his own, we are all looking for different things in life. One man's paradise is another man's hell.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:58 PM

914 posts, read 2,924,720 times
I read this saying someone posted on another board, and it has a ring of truth to it: "Bloom where you are planted."
Perhaps wise words and sage advice for those of us looking for our true home.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:43 AM

10,213 posts, read 11,194,614 times
I love NY. I don't live there anymore. I did for 29 years, but I wouldn't mind moving back to NY, even though it's expensive to live there.

Most people who never been nor lived in NY don't realize how beautiful of a state it is. You have your city, your farmlike areas, your mountainous areas and of course the waters. Its' a beautiful State.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:59 AM

14 posts, read 50,212 times
That was beautiful. I'm sure your words are tugging at the heartstrings of transplanted New Yorkers everywhere! We moved from L.I. to Phoenix, AZ 5 yrs. ago, and we hate it out here. Its so cheap to live, but its also so boring. There's nothing to do. And the people out here don't like people from "back east". There's no culture or history here. There's no "mom-n-pop" stores or business. Its all commercialized. The people are rude and cold. Its kind of like living in Stepford. We'll be heading back soon.......

Old 10-04-2006, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,887 times
Default homeward bound too

I grew up in Brockport, NY (western NY on erie canal, which is a growing small town in NY), went to college in PA and moved to Houston for a great job for all the typical reasons people think they need to leave their home state. I've been in Houston for 4 years and hate it. I miss the small town feel of NY. I never realized the high quality of life I had living in NY. To each is to own, but I hate the mega-stores, high priced chain restaurants, master planned communities, and living 10 months in A/C. Houston has very limited privately owned businesses and the whole city is concrete! I yearn for the day I can feel the leaves crunch under my feet as I say good-bye to hot August nights and get ready for fireside nights. I hope to move back in a couple of years but it will require me to leave big corporate america and buy a small business, which I know will be the best move of my life.

Just in my 4 years of living in Houston I've witnessed what Homeward Bound described.... "Given what I've seen of the worsening physical and emotional isolation, imbalance, disconnection from nature, and loss of supportive traditions in our country and culture, I can't help but think that New York state offers much of what others need to feel at home, too. "

I feel so fortunate that I've realized the importance of quality of life over money. I will be back in NY soon to live life. Hope you all find happiness wherever you are as well.

I just started laughing at myself because all this time, before I stubbled on this forum, I thought I was the only one struggling with being a NY transplant. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:03 PM

35 posts, read 221,733 times
Yes, I too have to agree. My husband and I both grew up in the Syracuse area, and after he joined the Army, we of course left, as we go where the army sends us. I have always wanted to travel, and I'm glad for the opportunity. However, more importantly, the traveling has shown me how much I do miss NY, and how I took it for granted. I can't wait to one day return! And boy do I miss the food!

Old 10-10-2006, 11:34 PM

70 posts, read 85,332 times
Default Irony Defined

Something I've noticed about not only my family, but others that have done it as well.

For the most part, most people move away from Long Island due to the high cost of living.

Then they move down to a place with a lower cost of living, and with FAR LESS consumerism.

Then they reminisce about New York/Long Island, and many want to return like myself. Why? Because Long Island looks more affordable now that you've adapted yourself to an area where people are not so worried about accumulating MORE STUFF. Now you have more money, but no longer care about spending it as much.

Some people jump right back into the consumerism, others learned during their time away that there are much more important things in life. For instance, when I moved down to PA, there were a few possessions I wanted but never purchased. I wanted a BMW Suv for one. Now that I've been away from the status conscious, all I want is a vehicle that is PAID OFF . I would rather put my money away for the kids education/retirement/rainy day/etc.
I miss the simple pleasure of walking the boardwalk at Sunken Meadow, instead of fighting for a parking spot at the Smithaven Mall. I would rather see the Rockefeller Ctr tree lighting ceremony, than worry about putting big ticket items under the tree. I'd rather a visit to the stock exchange, than stocking my closet with expensive clothes. BMW only means "butcher my wallet" to me now.

I wonder what is going to happen when I get back up there? Will it gradually seem less and less affordable because I will want more and more stuff? Or will I keep my respect for life, and forget about the pursuit of credit card debt?

My advice to anyone thinking of leaving. Try NOT going to Starbucks. Anyone who pays that much for a single cup of coffee is nuts. Figure out how many times a year you go to the mall, and cut it in half. The next time you buy a car, don't get the navigation system or the dvd player. If you have broadband AND a wired line, you're wasting money, get Vonage. Do you really need a separate fax number? Why do you spend $1.40 for a bottle of soda at lunch when you can bring a can from home for 30 cents? I did it once, here in PA. I looked at all the monthly costs from phone to credit card interest.

I switched to Vonage, called the cc companies and negotiated much lower rates for the debt I do have, killed my Amex gold (not worth the membership fee), and negotiated a lower price for my broadband connection. I also started shopping differently for food, buying more stuff online at lower prices, and skimmed a few other odds and ends. When all was said and done, after about a weeks worth of work, I found almost $220.00 a month I was wasting, and reclaimed it. Thats about $2500 a year, and I didn't miss ANYTHING I had to trim. If you did the same thing, I bet those property taxes would'nt look as bad.

In fact, I'm due for another "personal audit". I think maybe sometime in the next few weeks I'll have to get out the spreadsheet and start fat trimming again.

Some hints....

1. If you have a balance, call the credit card companies and ask if you need to do anything with them in order to transfer your balance to another card. Watch how fast you get routed to a "competitive offers" department to get your rate lowered. Don't settle for a 6month/1 year deal. When they offer it, say "Amex offered me a fixed rate of 2.9% for the life of the balance transfer". They'll come back with something better, if not a match. I could BS those bloodsuckers all day long when negotiating rates, with absolutely no remorse. It's like a contact sport.

2. Call your cable company, and tell them it looks like you're switching to dish. Tell them you want to know if someone has to be home in order to shut the cable off. Again, hold on to your hat while you're routed to a competitive offer department. You usually will not get better than a 6 month deal with cable, but take a shot.

3. Same cable company, but for broadband. Tell them you are getting DSL, but they havent given you an install date yet. Ask them if they require notice to shut off your cable modem, or will you get prorated to the day you call to shut it off. bang-zoom competitive offer department.

The list goes on. Just don't be afraid to lie like your life depends on it. Thats what they do to us under the guise of "marketing" and "customer service".

The key to all of those conversations is giving them the impression that you HAVE made the decision already. That puts them in a position to win you back, rather than just retain you. It has MUCH more of an impact than just calling to complain about their rates and prices.

Best of luck, and stay home.

Old 12-22-2006, 09:51 AM

3 posts, read 17,388 times
Talking I Agree....

WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!!! Our 'city' of <5000 is the very picture to accompany your beautifully written post.

You described the street we live on, and any number of streets in the town.

You captured the essence of small town America, that does in fact still exist here.

You described exactly why we moved here when my husband retired.

Most of all your post serves as illustration as to why we love it more each day we live here, and miss it everytime we go away.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:16 AM

160 posts, read 565,295 times
Default A great, on-topic book

People on this thread might enjoy this, written by a Saratoga resident:

http://www.amazon.com/Geography-Nowh.../dp/0671888250
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York