Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:23 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

I moved to Oneonta, NY (between Albany & Binghamton) recently. Don't know much about the job situation but if it's scenery you're after this area is hard to beat. It really is a photographers gold mine. As an ex-photog I'm having lots of fun snapping away. Yes, it's cow country but also alpacas, sheep, horses and various other beasts of burden & profit. An animal lovers paradise. I love some of the unique houses here. It seems in "the city" people are obsessed with property values so not willing to risk offending potential buyers everything reverts to boring beige but in the country people take pride in the uniqueness of their homes and are not afraid of expressing themselves with color and style. Here's a sample of shots. You can see more at: geostars's photos and albums on webshots
Attached Thumbnails
Oneonta photos-img_1675.sm.jpg   Oneonta photos-img_1706.sm.jpg   Oneonta photos-img_1559.sm.jpg   Oneonta photos-img_1647.sm.jpg   Oneonta photos-img_1655.sm.jpg  

Oneonta photos-img_1712.sm.jpg   Oneonta photos-img_1715.sm.jpg   Oneonta photos-img_1740.sm.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
LMG

3 posts, read 9,822 times
Wonderful pictures - LOVE upstate NY... Thanks...

Old 10-05-2007, 08:55 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Default Yes to clean energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Just hope the wind turbine salesmen don't come a callin'! There nothing that will blight a landscape quicker than several dozen 400 ft. industrial wind turbines!(
Except for cell towers and power lines. Nobody seems to object to them. If we want to run our 100' HDTVs and all the other goodies of modern civilization the power has to come from somewhere. This isn't some kind of nature preserve. There has to be the right balance between natural beauty and reality. I'd prefer cleaner energy from wind rather than invading countries and butchering and slaughtering hundreds of thousands of people so we can steal their resources so that oil cos and their political puppets can get richer and powerfuler. The ugliness of fossil fuels and their negative effects on the environment and civilization is a lot worse than wind turbines.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 AM

14 posts, read 49,515 times
Great pics! I'm getting my camera ready and plan on snapping plenty of photos.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 96,250 times
Oneonta used to be far more of an attractive sleepy town when I was a kid (read: 1970's) and my family in Cooperstown actually would shop on Main Street in Oneonta. Imagine that! The demise of Breese's Department Store by the mid 1980's ensured it never resemble what it once was.

Today that main drag is just wretched by comparison with an utter lack of thought by the town fathers as to the future of the community and the impressions left by such a desolate place. They should block off the street and make it a commons like you find in Ithaca then beef up the vigalance in removing the proliferation of thugs who seem to congregate there.

You clearly can find a lot of neat old buildings and residences for a photo collection yet it really is hit or miss compared to what the town once had. Prosperity has been in Oneonta over the year and accordingly stores and residences reflected that but the golden days have been gone for a while.

The loss of the great "Old Main" (aka Normal School) razed in 1977 was perhaps the biggest mistake made. The huge, lovely Richardsonian brick building of such architectural wealth could've been a perfect anchor for condos vs. the cheap temporary type apartment housing that sprouted up supporting the influx of students in a couple of locations. [Old Main was for comparison purposed a mega version, although with correct proportions, of what you see with the Stella Luna restaraunt, nee the old D&H passenger rail station on Market Street]

I still recall the 'Southside' before the malls came in and it was just farm land, car dealerships and Interskate-88, the rollerskate place, to be found over there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York