Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 08:24 PM

20 posts, read 83,997 times

Advertisements

FYI, there was a murder in Dunkirk, but I still left my doors unlocked and my windows down in my truck. It was drug related but the ties were to a big city from what I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 08:26 PM

20 posts, read 83,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxymoron View Post
OH MY GOSH!

I live in FLORIDA!

I am a TEACHER.

I'm trying to get information from people who like the area, people who want to move back to the area or already have. It's not that I'm only interested in the positive. It's just that your persistently negative comments have reached the point where they are counterproductive.

BTW, if you average out the number of murders over seven years between 1999 and 2005 (4 total), you will find that there is an average of .57 murders per year. That brings the murder rate down far below the national average. Is murder good? No, of course not, but it can happen anywhere. The important thing is that murder in Dunkirk is not a pervasive problem. Rather, it is an infrequent event. One's statistical chance of being murdered in Dunkirk is significantly lower than most places in the nation.

In addition, all other subsets of crime are well below the national average. Doesn't sound bad to me at all.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Dunkirk-New-York.html

Again, no I'm not a realtor. I simply cannot stand having a place torn apart with no credible information whatsoever, so I did some fact checking.
Move there, you'll love it if you enjoy warm sincere people, the 4 seasons and passionate sports fans.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:10 PM

8 posts, read 25,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
MURDER is an EXCEPTION????? That's one heck of an exception if you ask me! Especially for a 'nice small town' with 12000 people. Come on.......you sell real estate right? Tough times these days with all the For Sale signs in Western NY. Come clean, you're a realtor right?........real estate agents are equal to used car salesman and ambulance chaser lawyers....esecially in a down market like WNY.
I just have to know, where do you live? I am not asking for a specific address or anything, I don't want your paranoia to kick in and list me as a stalker or enemy combatant or anything. What town do you live in? Is it Utopia NY? Bubbleopolis NY? With all of your complaining about the horrors of WNY, you must be in a really good place that I have not heard of. Please let me know if there is a home for sale in your neighborhood. Sound's like a great place, far away from crime, drugs, and problems.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:16 PM

897 posts, read 2,458,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
i don't agree. i live an hour west of buffalo. we consider anything west of genesee community college to be wny. i have no idea why someone would have misnamed such an organization, you should ask them.
You should look up the msa for rochester in the census you may be shocked.Genesee county is part of Rochester msa.
here is a map of western ny area. Regions of Western New York (http://www.westernny.com/regions.html - broken link)

Western New York refers to the westernmost region of New York State, roughly the area included in the Holland Purchase. It includes the cities of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Lockport, Batavia, Albion, Olean, Salamanca and Jamestown. Some writers and historians consider the Western New York border to be at the Monroe/Orleans County line. [citation needed] Together with the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario, Canada, the area forms a part of the broader Buffalo Niagara Region.

While Western New York is part of Upstate New York, the term "Western New York" is used to distinguish the western part of the state from the rest of Upstate New York. Western New York consists of the eight westernmost counties of New York State: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Orleans, Niagara, and Wyoming. The mountainous southern regions of Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany counties make up a "sub-region" known as "The Southern Tier" or simply "The Southerntier" which can be considered part of Appalachia. Another local region commonly referred to is the Niagara Frontier, the name of which dates back to America's Colonial period, when the area surrounding Lakes Erie and Ontario, as well as The Niagara River were the point of the colonies' furthest expansion. To this day, the "frontier" is sometimes defined as also including part of northeast Ohio, as well as Pennsylvania's Erie region.

The area is served by Interstate 90 along the Niagara Frontier, Interstate 86 in the Western Southern Tier, and Interstate 390 (the former U.S. Route 15) in the Genesee Region. The planned expansion of the U.S. Route 219 Expressway from Buffalo through Cattaraugus County will provide a fourth major thoroughfare.

Some traits that differentiate Western New York from the rest of Upstate New York include people's use of the word "pop" instead of "soda" to refer to soft drinks, and the presence of the local Wegmans grocery stores, although these stores can now be found in Central New York. Western New York is part of the Inland North region of American English, which means it is subject to the Northern Cities vowel shift. The distinct Buffalo English accent, while bearing a slight resemblance to other Great Lakes accents, is indigenous exclusively to the region.
Western New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
you should just leave wny and forget about it. in all honesty you don't even live in wny, you live in rochester, which is not wny to real wnyers

either way all you are thinking about is buffalo and rochester, WNY has alot more places than that. that is a very small sample.

And teaching jobs are not hard to come by in wny, maybe in buffalo or roch, but not in wny as a whole. any teacher that wants a job, let me know, ill let you know where to look.
Okay, NYS dol does say buffalo area as part of western ny and Rochester as finger lakes but most people consider Rochester part of western ny. Second, you said there are other parts of wny. What Jamestown. Come on Rochester and buffalo carry most of the jobs in wny not little towns that are part of the metro areas. If the cities die typically so do the surrounding towns. I am leaving Rochester and New York it is sad but it will be a good experience to try new things.

I may talk about rochester as part of wny but as kid I grew up in olreans and genesee countys areas.
Those teaching job opening for rochester and buffalo included the entire western ny and finger lakes region for secondary teachers. I am sure for all teaching postions both areas create about 2.5k or more a year.

Last edited by shibainu; 09-25-2007 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 PM

8 posts, read 25,721 times
"There are croakers in every country, always boding its ruin. Such a one then lived in Philadelphia; a person of note, an elderly man, with a wise look and a very grave manner of speaking; his name was Samuel Mickle. This gentleman, a stranger to me, stopt one day at my door, and asked me if I was the young man who had lately opened a new printing-house. Being answered in the affirmative, he said he was sorry for me, because it was an expensive undertaking, and the expense would be lost; for Philadelphia was a sinking place, the people already half-bankrupts, or near being so; all appearances to the contrary, such as new buildings and the rise of rents, being to his certain knowledge fallacious; for they were, in fact, among the things that would soon ruin us. And he gave me such a detail of misfortunes now existing, or that were soon to exist, that he left me half melancholy.
Had I known him before I engaged in this business, probably I never should have done it. This man continued to live in this decaying place, and to declaim in the same strain, refusing for many years to buy a house there, because all was going to destruction; and at last I had the pleasure of seeing him give five times as much for one as he might have bought it for when he first began his croaking." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencedogood View Post
I just have to know, where do you live? I am not asking for a specific address or anything, I don't want your paranoia to kick in and list me as a stalker or enemy combatant or anything. What town do you live in? Is it Utopia NY? Bubbleopolis NY? With all of your complaining about the horrors of WNY, you must be in a really good place that I have not heard of. Please let me know if there is a home for sale in your neighborhood. Sound's like a great place, far away from crime, drugs, and problems.
If they average 1 murder a year in a town of 12,000 that would be high but if it is 1 per 3 or 4 years I would not worry.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 PM

59 posts, read 226,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Finger Lakes region is FACTORY FARM country. The Finger Lakes stink of manure slurry months at a time. SIX MILLION GALLON Manure Lagoon near the lovely, upscale Finger Lakes town town of Shaneateles NY. See the manure spill link below:

Welcome to CAFO HELL: 25,000 Gallon Manure Spill in Skaneateles, NY. (broken link)
____ happens

p/u! and they are not concernd about the water ha!

Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
You should look up the msa for rochester in the census you may be shocked.Genesee county is part of Rochester msa.
here is a map of western ny area. Regions of Western New York (http://www.westernny.com/regions.html - broken link)

Western New York refers to the westernmost region of New York State, roughly the area included in the Holland Purchase. It includes the cities of Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Lockport, Batavia, Albion, Olean, Salamanca and Jamestown. Some writers and historians consider the Western New York border to be at the Monroe/Orleans County line. [citation needed] Together with the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario, Canada, the area forms a part of the broader Buffalo Niagara Region.

While Western New York is part of Upstate New York, the term "Western New York" is used to distinguish the western part of the state from the rest of Upstate New York. Western New York consists of the eight westernmost counties of New York State: Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chautauqua, Erie, Genesee, Orleans, Niagara, and Wyoming. The mountainous southern regions of Chautauqua, Cattaraugus and Allegany counties make up a "sub-region" known as "The Southern Tier" or simply "The Southerntier" which can be considered part of Appalachia. Another local region commonly referred to is the Niagara Frontier, the name of which dates back to America's Colonial period, when the area surrounding Lakes Erie and Ontario, as well as The Niagara River were the point of the colonies' furthest expansion. To this day, the "frontier" is sometimes defined as also including part of northeast Ohio, as well as Pennsylvania's Erie region.

The area is served by Interstate 90 along the Niagara Frontier, Interstate 86 in the Western Southern Tier, and Interstate 390 (the former U.S. Route 15) in the Genesee Region. The planned expansion of the U.S. Route 219 Expressway from Buffalo through Cattaraugus County will provide a fourth major thoroughfare.

Some traits that differentiate Western New York from the rest of Upstate New York include people's use of the word "pop" instead of "soda" to refer to soft drinks, and the presence of the local Wegmans grocery stores, although these stores can now be found in Central New York. Western New York is part of the Inland North region of American English, which means it is subject to the Northern Cities vowel shift. The distinct Buffalo English accent, while bearing a slight resemblance to other Great Lakes accents, is indigenous exclusively to the region.
Western New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Last I knew, rochester was in monroe county?!

either way,

Its called relative perception. We don't consider it part of wny. We consider anything west of batavia as wny. Sorry you don't agree. Rochester is part of cny to us.

Old 09-26-2007, 05:37 AM

491 posts, read 1,434,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Okay, NYS dol does say buffalo area as part of western ny and Rochester as finger lakes but most people consider Rochester part of western ny. Second, you said there are other parts of wny. What Jamestown. Come on Rochester and buffalo carry most of the jobs in wny not little towns that are part of the metro areas. If the cities die typically so do the surrounding towns. I am leaving Rochester and New York it is sad but it will be a good experience to try new things.

I may talk about rochester as part of wny but as kid I grew up in olreans and genesee countys areas.
Those teaching job opening for rochester and buffalo included the entire western ny and finger lakes region for secondary teachers. I am sure for all teaching postions both areas create about 2.5k or more a year.
Buffalo doesn't carry this part of wny, it is over an hour away. Rochester is between 2-3.

I tried new things, and happened to miss the area, and can't wait to get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York