Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 08:20 AM

450 posts, read 1,059,765 times

Advertisements

Since the original 40 year bonds to build the Thruway were paid off in 1996 and tolls were supposed to expire, anyone know why all you folks are still getting ripped off? How much in Federal highway funds does the state of NY lose every year in keeping the Interstate a toll road? It really is a double taxation, if you think about it, because part of your federal gas tax goes to maintain the interstate system. Any thoughts and/or comments welcomed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 09:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,900 times
Another XNYer that wants to come here to ***** & complain .... yawn.

Your claim that "federal gas tax goes to maintain the interstate system" is wrong. The tax is put into an account that is used for transportation projects not general highway maintenance. The thruway tolls not only cover thruway maintenance but also upkeep of I84 & the New York State canal system.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Vex

125 posts, read 258,280 times
Well because the Thruway authority is a fantastic patronage pit!

But just imagine the whining and crying that would ensue if someone did propose to end tolls. The union would lament the loss of 'middle class jobs' and predict dire economic consequences as a result - nevermind that these jobs have zero economic value and actually destroy wealth rather than create it...

Old 04-18-2012, 03:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,119,914 times
It's NY, that's why.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:18 PM

19,233 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post

Your claim that "federal gas tax goes to maintain the interstate system" is wrong. The tax is put into an account that is used for transportation projects not general highway maintenance. The thruway tolls not only cover thruway maintenance but also upkeep of I84 & the New York State canal system.
I always like how some justify the tolls as a benefit to maintaining the entire states transport systems. Why is it most of us have the same quality roads, bridge, etc without the tolls?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 PM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I always like how some justify the tolls as a benefit to maintaining the entire states transport systems. Why is it most of us have the same quality roads, bridge, etc without the tolls?
Weather is one factor. There was a time when there were toll booths on I-95 in the Richmond area.

Also, you pay for it is other ways. Perhaps that is a part of the reason why there is a vehicle tax in many Southern states.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM

19,233 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Weather is one factor. There was a time when there were toll booths on I-95 in the Richmond area.

Also, you pay for it is other ways. Perhaps that is a part of the reason why there is a vehicle tax in many Southern states.
We had tolls over 20+ years ago, as our laws require once the building cost is paid for the tolls come off. My vehicle tax is nothing compared to the additional gas taxes, property taxes, and taxes on everything that you have to pay. The Thruway has the most archaic toll booths of any toll road I have travelled and as a development tool you can't deny that it's restrictive access is a limiting factor.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:15 PM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
We had tolls over 20+ years ago, as our laws require once the building cost is paid for the tolls come off. My vehicle tax is nothing compared to the additional gas taxes, property taxes, and taxes on everything that you have to pay. The Thruway has the most archaic toll booths of any toll road I have travelled and as a development tool you can't deny that it's restrictive access is a limiting factor.
Can you explain why cost of living is pretty much a wash between VA and Upstate NY metros then? I ask this as a person with a sibling that lives in VA Beach.

As for the Thruway, I agree with what you said. Interestingly, NY is not alone and even states like Florida and Texas have toll roads.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, a rather interesting fiscal sleight of hand that sold the NYS canal system to the Thruway Authority back in the '90s.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post

Who's b******* and complaining? I haven't lived in NY in years, and have no interest in ever living there again. Quite frankly, I could care less about NY. Last time I was there to visit family, the tolls had gone up from what I remembered. I'm just curious why, year after year those people who choose to remain just put up with the B.S. and act like it's just part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York