Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM

93,944 posts, read 124,723,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Good reference but a couple of things I noticed, every example show that a jobs salary would be higher in VA of course I could compare our region to the NY tri-state area and VA would be lower in all the examples. I can't compare Hampton Roads to Richmond Metro to Northern Va to C'Ville all are different regions with Northern Va being the highest COL and Roanoke being near the lowest, you clump "upstate" all together.

An example if I take a $190,000 tax assesed home here the total taxes would be $1653.00 for everything. In Onandaga County the tax would be $4,750 according to Onondaga County New York Property Taxes - 2012 this doesn't include the school tax that will vary based on district. There are other numbers like sales tax your %8 vs our %5 and NY gasoline jumps over $.25 a gallon just from NJ.

But as you and I have wrote before each area has it's benefits depending what you are looking for. As for the Thruway I will never accept that having the toll has been the only viable way to maintain an interstate highway.
Where did you get that number for Onondaga County? That includes all taxes given that the number from the website you posted is lower that that 4750 total. That is probably before STAR and other exemptions. There are also taxes like the vehicle property tax that one has to consider that could be added to the VA total as well. Also, the average home price in Henrico County VA is $217,500 and for Onondaga County NY it is $124,500. So, that also has to be considered. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You also have to keep in mind that the calulator is saying that for a person that makes that much in NY, they have to make that much more in VA to break even. So, that means that a person has to make that much to break even with a person making that much in that Upstate NY community. That doesn't mean that the person moving to VA would make that much. There is a difference and of course, this is on average.

As for the Thruway, you also have to think about the amount of people using such infrastructure. So, that may also be a factor.

Last edited by Yac; 04-24-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:32 AM

450 posts, read 1,060,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
It's comments like this that I am referring to. Veiled, subtle insults, thrown into posts with no apparent reason other than to rile up those they are directed at.

In your second or third response on this thread, you actually said this:

Why did you start the thread then? Taken together, I believe its easy to discern a "you guys are idiots" attitude to this whole thread. Just makes no sense to me. I don't understand why people frequently feel the need to make posts like this to rub stuff in other's faces.
I started the thread because I wanted to voice my opinion and exercise my right of free speech. No one is rubbing anything in anyone's face, as it seems you are looking for a reason to be offended not me. I would further argue that there are a lot more posters on these forums critical of the outrageous taxes and the excesses of NYS government than people who are supportive of the two. If you have to be upset, let it be with a government that confiscates your hard earned money, not with me.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,551,366 times
If you couldn't care less about NY then why is it that you feel the need to voice your opinion about the state & its citizens several times a day?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:30 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnyer View Post
I started the thread because I wanted to voice my opinion and exercise my right of free speech. No one is rubbing anything in anyone's face, as it seems you are looking for a reason to be offended not me. I would further argue that there are a lot more posters on these forums critical of the outrageous taxes and the excesses of NYS government than people who are supportive of the two. If you have to be upset, let it be with a government that confiscates your hard earned money, not with me.
I never said I was offended. Being offended is not in my nature. It's another thing I find strange.

I said I don't understand the mindset of people like you. You're like the Texas gun nut that pops in every-so-often to call us sheep because of NY's gun laws. I just don't see the point so I'm wondering what you get out of it.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 PM

19,303 posts, read 17,182,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Where did you get that number for Onondaga County? That includes all taxes given that the number from the website you posted is lower that that 4750 total. That is probably before STAR and other exemptions. There are also taxes like the vehicle property tax that one has to consider that could be added to the VA total as well. Also, the average home price in Henrico County VA is $217,500 and for Onondaga County NY it is $124,500. So, that also has to be considered.Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

You also have to keep in mind that the calulator is saying that for a person that makes that much in NY, they have to make that much more in VA to break even. So, that means that a person has to make that much to break even with a person making that much in that Upstate NY community. That doesn't mean that the person moving to VA would make that much. There is a difference and of course, this is on average.

As for the Thruway, you also have to think about the amount of people using such infrastructure. So, that may also be a factor.
I picked a figure for an average older home to run through the calculator in section 1.2 of the link provided. I don't consider star because not everyone is a senior who could be eligable. But school taxes for NY are the wild card and Star does not exclude the average senior from them. I am sure that if I searched real estate sites at homes in the "median" value they would probally not be what most people want.

On your counties site Onondaga County - Real Property Tax Services the Onandage County tax(s) are 6.35 per 1k assessed or 6.35x 125 = 794.00
School Tax for Lafayette (middle value) is 30.0 per 1k assessed or 30 x 125 = $3750, $3750 + $794 = $4544 in taxes for a $125,000 median value house. Not far off from the other calculator. Our tax would be $1088 for the same assessed value. Obviously lower valued homes would have a lower tax burden but if you lived in a town/village your tax burden would be higher. I didn't use figures for any of your towns/villages.

Salary/col differences are a factor one must look out when relocating. I had different salary expectations for various areas of the east coast what I would expect in Richmond is not what I would ask in Boston etc.

Although I would argue the Thruway near NYC is one of the longer parking lots in the world I would have to say I95 and other DC Metro highways are no better for us...

Last edited by Yac; 04-24-2012 at 06:11 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 01:13 PM

You don't have to be a senior to get STAR. If you are a senior, then you get another exemption. Same for Veterans of the Armed Forces. There are other exemptions, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, is that for the average home in LaFayette or the county? It can vary by the town or even neighborhood within the district.

This still doesn't get into the cost of the house too.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM

/\/\

Your on late today, usually your postings are in the morning only...

I used Onandaga county only, no towns/villages. For a school district I selected Lafayette because it's figure was in the middle of those listed under Onandaga county and I am not really sure on the school districts. We have only one school district/goverment for the whole county so there is no seperate school tax. They get paid out of the county budget.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

Using LaFayette and the LaFayette SD, I used this home price average: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Then, for taxes I used this information: Onondaga County - Real Property Tax Services

Onondaga County - Real Property Tax Services (click on 2011-2012)

and came to 2577.39 for school taxes and 1497.58 for town/county taxes, which came to 4074.97 overall before any exemptions.

I could be wrong, give or take.

Last edited by Yac; 04-24-2012 at 06:10 AM..

Old 04-19-2012, 02:23 PM

I won't argue the district choices but it still come out significantly higher than for us at $1088.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I won't argue the district choices but it still come out significantly higher than for us at $1088.
How much would the housing cost though? We get the tax aspect, but the cost of a home makes up the bulk of property costs, regardless of the state. I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to put the aspect of costs into perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York