Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2012, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,270 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am a new member here on this site. I am posting here to get some help and ideas on how I may be able to find a house that my family owned in Walker Valley.

My father just passed away last month, and sadly we never got to finish our discussion about the house and what the address of the house was.

The few things I do know is it was in Walker Valley, at the time my family owned it, it was white, there was a family who had the house across the road who had a Collie named "Queenie," I believe there was a separate garage on the property. I remember going up there on weekends when I was young.

I am trying to contact other family who may know what the address is, but that has become a slow process at best.

If anyone can give some ideas as to how best to track down this house would be, it would be greatly appreciated. I have some photos of the house, or at least part of the house.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Joie Fadde
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,514 times
If your father and /or any other family members were living in the house in 1930 and earlier you could find them in the US Census records, which include addresses. They're available via ancestry.com.

Here's ancestry.com information on those databases:
The U.S. has taken a census of its population every ten years since 1790. The most recent census available to us at present is the 1930 census, due to a 72-year privacy restriction. While the questions in U.S. census records varied from year to year and in state censuses, from state to state, you can find information like names of other household members, ages, birthplaces, residence, occupation, immigration and citizenship details, marriage information, military service and more.

If you have a chance to go up there, the local library might be a resource. They may have old phone books for the time that your father's family lived there.

Or you can look at road names on google maps and that might refresh your memory--if you google "Walker Valley NY" and look at the map view (not the satellite view) it will give you the town boundaries so that you know what roads to look at. Luckily Walker Valley isn't a very big area which makes it easier. Also if you look at Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions and look at the map using the "birds eye view" you'll see aerial photographs of the area--you can zoom in and look at actual houses. If you zoom in close enough you can see features like separate garages, how many windows, architectural styles etc. Also if you can remember any features like a dead end road, or a pond, looking at the map may help you recognize the house.

Good luck!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,514 times
1940 census data has just been released if that might also help you locate the house

1940 Census | Access U.S 1940 Census Records Free at Ancestry.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York