Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,547 times

Advertisements

Hi! We (husband and I - late 30s, 2 kids - 7 and 10) will be moving from Jacksonville, FL to the New York area in July. My husband's job is to oversee sales reps in NYC, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Long Island and will require travel throughout the week in these areas. So a daily commute to one single area is not of greatest concern, we need a good home base, if you will.

We are looking to RENT a single family home or townhome in a really good public school district in a suburban area that is safe and more toward the affordable side of things (such as they are in the NE ). Our kids love art and theatre, but we don't want to live in NYC. While we don't want to live in the city, per se, we do like being close to shopping and dining options. Are there areas like this in the Hudson Valley region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:36 PM

468 posts, read 584,448 times
"what do you consider affordable?" Good schools? my area school is very expensive but I would not consider it good when there is a drug issue and the superintendent is in my personal opinion a "progressive."
Crime? that is everywhere, which is why it is best to be armed and proficient in the use.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM

93,786 posts, read 124,527,296 times
Perhaps look into the Monroe-Woodbury SD, which has plenty of shopping in the area. Is there anything else that you are looking for in a school district? Perhaps checking posts by Dreamshot would help.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,547 times
Thank you for your advice ckhthankgod. I really appreciate it!

Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM

715 posts, read 2,512,763 times
Hi there,

There are plenty of options within the Hudson Valley that would fulfill your needs and are convenient to NYC and the other points you mentioned. Understand however that the cost of living will be significantly higher in New York than in Jacksonville.

For perspective (numbers via City-Data):
Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Jacksonville: 89.3 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

Mar. 2012 cost of living index in Middletown: 137.5 (high, U.S. average is 100)

While it would be good to know your budget, I'll lay out for you a general list of locations to check out (from south to north):

Hastings-on-Hudson, Tarrytown, Nyack, Croton-on-Hudson, Peekskill, Suffern, Stony Point, Cold Spring, Carmel, Brewster, Monroe-Woodbury, Chester, Goshen, Washingtonville, Middletown, Montgomery, Beacon, Fishkill, Wappingers

*The italicized locations represent those in Orange and Dutchess Counties. The northern borders of these counties are the unofficial end of what is considered the NYC Metropolitan Region (coterminous with NYC train service). Since these counties are a little bit farther from NYC, cost of living is a bit (this is relative) cheaper.

*Pink locations = Westchester County

*Red locations = Rockland County

*Orange locations = Putnam County

Schools are generally very good in the region (no proof to back this up, but I'd argue some of the best schools in the Northeast are in the HV). Your children will have a good experience just about anywhere.

Shopping, retail, and dining is plentiful. You have nothing to worry about in regards to that.

The Hudson Valley tends to be quite artsy with 'creative centers' in many of the Westchester River Towns, Nyack, Cold Spring, Goshen, Beacon, New Paltz, and Rhinebeck.

Additionally, living farther north (say in Orange or Dutchess County) puts you along 84, a major east-west roadway with access to Connecticut and points east.

To give you some additional perspective, the following map shows the location of the counties that I've mentioned in relation to NYC. The fringe (blue) line depicts the rough end to the NYC Metro.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York