Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:38 AM

10 posts, read 25,532 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving from FL to NY (somewhere between Cornwall and Yonkers). I have never been to NY, so I am in SERIOUS need of suggestions from some who knows the general area.

some important things about me:

- I will have a car but prefer being in a town/city near public transportation -also, I like being in walking distance of most things- grocery, coffee, etc. (1 mile or so)
- I have a son( starting the 9th grade in september) so need to be near decent high school
- looking to stay in the ($1500-$2000/mo) for rent.

any help that i can use to narrow down my search will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Perhaps Cornwall, Monroe, Dobbs Ferry, Ardsley, Croton, Irvington, Brewster, Carmel and maybe Nyack.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:25 PM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
Will you be working in NYC? If so, where in? If in Lower Manhattan, your best bets are West-of-Hudson, along Metro North's Port Jervis Line. If in Midtown Manhattan, your best bets are East-of-Hudson, along Metro North's Hudson Line or Harlem Line.

Schools aren't a problem here. Your son will get a quality education just about anywhere.

Your money will go farther in Orange County than it will in Putnam, Rockland or Westchester Counties.

The latter two will be on the high end of your budget.

Places that fit your description, West-of-Hudson, starting in Orange County: Cornwall, Goshen, Chester, Monroe-Woodbury, Warwick, Tuxedo

Rockland County: Suffern, Nanuet, Pearl River, Haverstraw

Places that fit your description, East-of-Hudson, starting in Putnam County: Brewster, Cold Spring, Mahopac

Westchester County: Yorktown, Mt. Kisco, Bedford, Peekskill, Cortlandt, Croton, Ossining, Tarrytown, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Yonkers, White Plains

*Schools in Westchester tend to be very competitive

*May be worth looking in to Riverdale in Bronx County

If you need anything further, please ask. I am very familiar with this area.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Will you be working in NYC? If so, where in? If in Lower Manhattan, your best bets are West-of-Hudson, along Metro North's Port Jervis Line. If in Midtown Manhattan, your best bets are East-of-Hudson, along Metro North's Hudson Line or Harlem Line.

Schools aren't a problem here. Your son will get a quality education just about anywhere.

Your money will go farther in Orange County than it will in Putnam, Rockland or Westchester Counties.

The latter two will be on the high end of your budget.

Places that fit your description, West-of-Hudson, starting in Orange County: Cornwall, Goshen, Chester, Monroe-Woodbury, Warwick, Tuxedo

Rockland County: Suffern, Nanuet, Pearl River, Haverstraw

Places that fit your description, East-of-Hudson, starting in Putnam County: Brewster, Cold Spring, Mahopac

Westchester County: Yorktown, Mt. Kisco, Bedford, Peekskill, Cortlandt, Croton, Ossining, Tarrytown, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Hastings, Yonkers, White Plains

*Schools in Westchester tend to be very competitive

*May be worth looking in to Riverdale in Bronx County

If you need anything further, please ask. I am very familiar with this area.

Dreamshot,

I am working mostly up near New Windsor area, but a quick search of the schools near Newburgh and Beacon( based on the published data), for example, did not seem to be what I a looking for in a school/district. also, i will be working in different parts of the state, including NYC, Bronx....

but I want to get the most bang for my buck...decent school, and close to public transportatino for those bad weather days....(i have lived in fl all my life, so i need to have a back up plan for transportation in case it takes me longer to acclimate to driving in NY winter conditions.

also, i really dont mind the commute, although, I have been told that a 30-40 mile commute in NY is very different from the same commute in FL so I think that seems to be another concern...how far can I move from the New Windsor area and still have may a decent commute(45min to 1hr is on the high side of what I am willing to do).

I am a social person ( moving from downtown orlando where I use to walking everywhere including social events and driving usually only when the weather is bad) ....I am willing to sacrifice that life style, a little in order to stay as close as possible to my budget..but, nothing rural.

....is it possible to narrow down my options?

thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Dreamshot

I am working mostly up near New Windsor area, but a quick search of the schools near Newburgh and Beacon( based on the published data), for example, did not seem to be what I a looking for in a school/district. also, i will be working in different parts of the state, including NYC, Bronx....

but I want to get the most bang for my buck...decent school, and close to public transportatino for those bad weather days....(i have lived in fl all my life, so i need to have a back up plan for transportation in case it takes me longer to acclimate to driving in NY winter conditions.

also, i really dont mind the commute, although, I have been told that a 30-40 mile commute in NY is very different from the same commute in FL so I think that seems to be another concern...how far can I move from the New Windsor area and still have may a decent commute(45min to 1hr is on the high side of what I am willing to do).

I am a social person ( moving from downtown orlando where I use to walking everywhere including social events and driving usually only when the weather is bad) ....I am willing to sacrifice that life style, a little in order to stay as close as possible to my budget..but, nothing rural.

thanks in advance!!!

Old 01-27-2012, 06:46 AM

It sounds like Cornwall might be a slam dunk. Perhaps the Monroe-Woodbury area too. There are others and it pretty much depends on what you want in a district.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:32 AM

715 posts, read 2,510,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer12 View Post
Dreamshot,

thanks in advance!!!
Yes -- I forgot to mention this in my initial post, avoid Newburgh's school district. Beacon is better but certianly not the best in the area.

Your money would definitely go farthest in Orange County, so I'll help you narrow down your options.

As CKH suggested, Cornwall and Monroe-Woodbury are solid options. Cornwall is a nice little town, has good schools, and is close to the Palisades Interstate Parkway and East-of-Hudson access (Bear Mountain Bridge - 6 miles) which will make your commute to NYC easier (~1 hour to Midtown, slightly shorter to Bronx). Your commute to New Windsor will be 5-7 miles depending on where you are located. Cornwall has mini-marts and drug stores but no major grocery stores because there are plenty about 5 miles away in Vails Gate / New Windsor / Newburgh. No public transportation from Cornwall to New Windsor as far as I know, aside from a taxi or dial-a-bus. Transportation in to NYC is much more plentiful. Harriman Metro North Station is 10 miles south. Peekskill Metro North is 10 miles southeast, on the opposite side of the Hudson.

Monroe-Woodbury area offers you the best school in the county. Tons of shopping in Harriman. Near Harriman train station and major Route 87 (NYS Thruway N-S) and Route 17 for E-W travel, NYS Thruway. New Windsor is 20-25 minutes north. ~1 hour to NYC.

Other options that best fit your criteria in Orange County: Washingtonville, Chester, Goshen.

Washingtonville - Great schools, walkable downtown area, major grocery, 5-7 miles from New Windsor, ~1 hour to NYC (driving).

Chester - Great schools, major grocery, right on E-W 17 with access to 87, 10 miles from New Windsor, ~1 hour to NYC (driving).

Goshen - Great schools, essential stores, right on E-W 17 with access to 87, 15 miles from New Windsor, slightly over 1 hour to NYC (driving). Upscale village / town. Orange County County Seat.

Bus from Orange County to NYC: Orange County to & from NYC
(Monroe, Middletown, Newbugh, Goshen, Chester, Central Valley - NYC)

None of these locations are rural. The only place in the NYC Metro Area outside of the city itself that will give you a similar feel downtown-city feel is White Plains. While very close to NYC, it'll take about an hour to get to New Windsor. Good thing about this is that it is a reverse commute (most people will be going from White Plains south to NYC, while you the opposite).

Hope this helped!

Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM

Thanks dreamshot and ckh for ALL of the helpful information ----after doing a bit of research, all that I am able to do in front of my computer, it seems that White Plains will afford me the greatest number of things, both socially and professionally, that are important to me without breaking the bank!

Now that the most difficult part is out of the way, I'm ready to look for a place to live! Although, its likely I will plan a trip to White Plains since its difficult to get the feel of an area by viewing information online.

I noticed that there are more than 30 neighborhoods in White Plains, so if you have any advice on places/areas/neighborhoods that will be attractive, for whatever reason(s) you choose, I am all ears!!

Thanks again, VERY VERY HELPFUL!!

Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM

Besides White Plains, Nyack would also offer quite a as well. Friends of The Nyacks | We Make It Happen

http://nyack-ny.gov/

Village of Upper Nyack |

Nyack NY | The Nyack Villager

Nyack, NY Chamber of Commerce

Old 01-27-2012, 04:24 PM

thanks ckh,

Nyack seems close enough to White Plains that I can add it to the list of places to visit....it seems it will also give me a chance to compare east vs west of the hudson. You all have been incredibly helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York