Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
Living in Cornwall currently but mostly lived in Monroe Woodbury area. Finally getting out of here at the end of the year and it can't come soon enough!
Isn't that part of Orange County one of the fastest growing areas in the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM

715 posts, read 2,511,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't that part of Orange County one of the fastest growing areas in the state?
Can't speak statistically about the the Monroe/Woodbury area within Orange County specifically, but Orange County is the 2nd fastest growing county in NYS behind Saratoga. If I had to bet, I'd say the majority of the grow is occurring within the encompassed area:

I'm interested in finding out why Zakas dislikes it so much here.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:01 AM

211 posts, read 431,702 times
1.) Lack of quality affordable housing
2.) High Taxes but not many amenities
3.)Overated schools; particularly M-W
4.)Congestion: Rt.32 by Woodbury Commons on weekends/holidays
5.) Too many big box stores; destroyed all the mom & pops that were here
6.) Local & State Politicians in bed with Hasidics from KJ
7.) No good paying jobs without having to commute to NYC or other area. Avg salaries for this area make it possibe
8.) Humid summers; unbearable winters (besides this past winter)

...too name just a few. I suppose having grown up here and seeing it change so much for the worse is the main overlying theme. Depending on where you come from and your personal/family situation I guess it could be a welcomed change for the better. But if I did have the means or the resources I would still NOT wanna live here or raise a family in the area regardless..

Old 03-31-2012, 12:48 PM

715 posts, read 2,511,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
1.) Lack of quality affordable housing
2.) High Taxes but not many amenities
3.)Overated schools; particularly M-W
4.)Congestion: Rt.32 by Woodbury Commons on weekends/holidays
5.) Too many big box stores; destroyed all the mom & pops that were here
6.) Local & State Politicians in bed with Hasidics from KJ
7.) No good paying jobs without having to commute to NYC or other area. Avg salaries for this area make it possibe
8.) Humid summers; unbearable winters (besides this past winter)

...too name just a few. I suppose having grown up here and seeing it change so much for the worse is the main overlying theme. Depending on where you come from and your personal/family situation I guess it could be a welcomed change for the better. But if I did have the means or the resources I would still NOT wanna live here or raise a family in the area regardless..
Interesting. I've lived in Orange County (Montgomery) for 17 of my 20 years alive and from discussions with my father taxes are reasonable. Definitely depends where you live in the county, though.

Did you go to Monroe-Woodbury? I went through Valley Central the entire way, K-12, and feel that I received a quality education and was well prepared for college. Many courses for college credit were offered and I took advantage - had over a semesters worth to transfer over to college. Can't imagine M-W, Goshen, Washingtonville, Chester, etc., being much worse / different.

Agree on the congestion part. This county has undergone significant growth, for better or for worse, following 9/11. I imagine the growth will continue albeit it at a slower pace given the economy. I guess if [someone] doesn't want to live near the big box stores look toward the western or northern parts of the county or Sullivan/Ulster/Sussex.

Not entirely familiar with KJ and its implications / consequences. Little or no effect on me or my family. Suppose it must cross one's mind if moving to the Monroe-Woodbury area, but not necessarily in other parts of the county.

I believe there are some good paying jobs, especially in teaching. But I do agree that the best ones are in NYC. My father has worked in NYC for the majority of his life...the commute isn't for everyone, though.

I'm a meteorologist...and I can assure you that, believe it or not, the SUNNIEST (statistically speaking) place in NYS IS the Mid/Lower Hudson Valley. The weather here is quite mild compared to the rest of the state (especially upstate). Snowfall less than 40 inches per year, total precipitation near 40 inches liquid equivalent, and approximately 60% of the days are sun-filled at least partially. Average winter temperature NEVER goes below freezing and a below zero morning is AT MOST a once a year occurrence. No lake effect snow/rain to worry about. Catskill Mountains help to enhance chinook and can create a rain shadow effect on Orange County, furthering limiting precipitation and clouds. See 90+ here at most 15 times a year. Not too bad if you ask me.

Just my opinions.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:34 PM

Yeah I went to M-W, a place that is specially touted for its special education program. I had a few friends that were in these programs and basically these kids were pushed through with very little actual learning & academic experiences. I still see many of them now, albeit working the graveyard shift at Wal Mart or Wendys drive thru. Also the schools in M-W have become much more diverse from city sprawl and I have heard that drugs have become a major issue in the last five years all the way down to elementary levels. On a positive note they have a very good High School Football Program!!

Here you can learn more about the people of KJ ----> NYT does unflattering piece on Orange County Hasids in THEE RANT Forum

Several friends that I knew who went to college to become teachers had a hard time getting into any of the good school districts around here. (1 or 2 did, mostly because they had an "in") Some went to the city and are miserable and looking for a new career and many others had to go to out of state to a major city to get a good job. (i.e Pittsburgh, Philly, Chicago) The majority of these people though are working in retail at the Woodbury Commons, living at home with mom and dad, and frantically trying to pay down all that student loan debt.

Weather is very subjective and appreciate the facts about this area but what one persons preference is to "comfortable weather" can be entirely different from another. I know certain that I would take a HV winter over any Northern NY counties weather but who cares when I can go South or West and sit on a beach for 9 or 10 months out of the year! But once again to each his/her own.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
How can you sit at beach for that long and have time for aspects pertaining to real life? I'm just saying.....

Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 AM

"A fool flatters himself, a wise man flatters the fool."

-Bulwer-Lytton

Old 04-07-2012, 07:49 PM

197 posts, read 636,710 times
I would stay out of M-W area and Ramapo for that matter, Anyone that has been exposed to the hasids like I have my whole life, knows they are no good and nothing but handout taking P.o.s.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM

197 posts, read 636,710 times
Especially M-W as there is so much open land that they are looking to buy. 30,000 strong in one square mile and growing (Kiryas Joel)

Old 04-15-2012, 07:02 AM

The Hasids are also in Blooming Grove/Chester area and currently moving on New Windsor area! People wonder why taxes are so high because you have to foot the bill for these greedy leaches!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York