Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM

599 posts, read 1,652,646 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job op and his choices are either East Fishkill or Malta. We have one child who is 6. I am from the east coast and would love to move back but I don't know much about upstate New York. We would like quality education and a lower cost of living than what we have in California.

Any opinions would be appreicated.

Thank you.

Oh, alos how is the healthcare in both regions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 06:22 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy View Post
My husband has a job op and his choices are either East Fishkill or Malta. We have one child who is 6. I am from the east coast and would love to move back but I don't know much about upstate New York. We would like quality education and a lower cost of living than what we have in California.

Any opinions would be appreicated.

Thank you.

Oh, alos how is the healthcare in both regions?
I live near Fishkill in "downstate" NY, Hudson Valley Region. At either location, your cost of living will be less than in California (more so in Malta than Fishkill). Fishkill is considered to be in the NYC Metro while Malta contained within Albany's. Plenty of shopping, solid public transportation, good schools, and an overall pleasant quality of life to be found in Fishkill and Dutchess County as a whole, generally speaking. Easy NYC access too (trains). Healthcare options are wide ranging in Dutchess County. Specialty doctors can be easily be found in nearby Westchester County or closer to NYC. No concerns on that front.

Don't know much about Albany or its northern suburbs, so I can't tell you much about Malta. Some areas around Albany can be quite nice. Its also nice to live in NYC's backyard, the Hudson Valley.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Malta is by Saratoga Springs, which is a nice little city with things to do. I believe Malta is in the Saratoga Springs SD, but check on that to make sure.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
I live near Fishkill in "downstate" NY, Hudson Valley Region. At either location, your cost of living will be less than in California (more so in Malta than Fishkill). Fishkill is considered to be in the NYC Metro while Malta contained within Albany's. Plenty of shopping, solid public transportation, good schools, and an overall pleasant quality of life to be found in Fishkill and Dutchess County as a whole, generally speaking. Easy NYC access too (trains). Healthcare options are wide ranging in Dutchess County. Specialty doctors can be easily be found in nearby Westchester County or closer to NYC. No concerns on that front.

Don't know much about Albany or its northern suburbs, so I can't tell you much about Malta. Some areas around Albany can be quite nice. Its also nice to live in NYC's backyard, the Hudson Valley.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

I am from Pennsylvania and have lived in Ca for 11 long years. CA is great for visiting and the weather and that is it. I never got it...what I mean the love of living here. My husband's career is very specialized so it is hard to get back East.

I have never been to Fishkill or Albany so it is hard for us to make a decision. I think we need to visit both places. Fishkill is about 2 hours from my family in PA but I am wondering the cost and how much difference it would be between both.

Can you tell me the Con's of living in Fishkill (surrounding areas)?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Malta is by Saratoga Springs, which is a nice little city with things to do. I believe Malta is in the Saratoga Springs SD, but check on that to make sure.
Do you live near Albany? I thinking Fishkill is more inline with what we want but I think we need to visit both. I hear or shall I say read that Albany is runned down?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Do you live near Albany? I thinking Fishkill is more inline with what we want but I think we need to visit both. I hear or shall I say read that Albany is runned down?
Actually, Malta isn't that close to Albany. Albany varies in terms of neighborhoods. It has been a while since I've been there, but from what I hear from people from there, it has its good and bad parts. I think you should visit both areas to see which one you like.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I am from Pennsylvania and have lived in Ca for 11 long years. CA is great for visiting and the weather and that is it. I never got it...what I mean the love of living here. My husband's career is very specialized so it is hard to get back East.

I have never been to Fishkill or Albany so it is hard for us to make a decision. I think we need to visit both places. Fishkill is about 2 hours from my family in PA but I am wondering the cost and how much difference it would be between both.

Can you tell me the Con's of living in Fishkill (surrounding areas)?

Thanks.
Homes can be expensive in both locations, but I would be willing to bet that you would be able to get more bang for your buck in upstate Malta as opposed to downstate Fishkill. This is generally the rule when speaking upstate versus downstate (the cost of living is higher downstate, things generally more upscale, probably closer to what you are currently experiencing in California).

As for the Cons of living in Fishkill...downstate NY is getting more crowded as the NYC Metropolitan Region is ever-expanding. The last census proves this, as Dutchess County went +7% in population; all signs point toward continued growth.

The nearby Cities of Poughkeepsie (Dutchess County) and Newburgh (Orange County) aren't exactly safe, but you shouldn't have much reason to go in to either. Most of Dutchess is quite nice; Eastern Dutchess is mountainous and beautiful.

Winter weather is more of a con in Malta than in Fishkill (more snow upstate).

Can't really think of any other major cons to living in Dutchess County.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:42 PM

70 posts, read 125,838 times
The areas are pretty similar despite being about 100 miles apart. Both are located in fast growing areas that were once rural but quickly becoming suburbia. Both are great places for families with good schools. A few pro/cons I can think of off the top of my head.

East Fishkill

Pros - Slightly better schools (Hopewell Junction).
- Closer to New York City and your family in Pennsylvania

Malta

Pros - Proximity to Saratoga Springs which is a great small city full of great restaurants and entertainment options.
- Lower cost of living

The health care in both areas is probably good as New York spends a lot on health care. The areas are pretty similar, you should visit both and see which you personally like better and go from there. By the way, most of Malta is within the Ballston Spa school district which is pretty good.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 AM

Thank you disciple, as I wasn't sure if Malta was in the SS or Ballston Spa SD.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:45 AM

For the record, East Fishkill is within the Wappingers Central School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York