Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM

70 posts, read 126,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
For the record, East Fishkill is within the Wappingers Central School District.
thanks dreamshot. I know its the district with John Jay and Roy C. Ketchum high schools in it, just got the name wrong.

Anyway, point remains the same. Both are good areas to raise families with good schools, just visit and see which you like better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 PM

93,629 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Also, there may be surrounding areas that you may like as well.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM

599 posts, read 1,654,659 times
Thank you for all the great input! I appreciate it. I think we would pick Fishkill and the main reason is that is 2 hours from my immediate family instead of over 4 hours if we lived near Malta. It would be difficult to commute to family often being near Albany as opposed to Fishkill.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:42 AM

8 posts, read 10,878 times
Any updates? Where did you choose? I am considering a similar move and I assume I am in the same Industry.

Both areas seem extremely cheap compared to Sunnyvale. You could buy 2 McMansions for the price of a 3 bedroom with a tiny lot out here. Not that I'd want such a ridiculous house, but the contrast is insane.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:29 PM

715 posts, read 2,512,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinzy View Post
Any updates? Where did you choose? I am considering a similar move and I assume I am in the same Industry.

Both areas seem extremely cheap compared to Sunnyvale. You could buy 2 McMansions for the price of a 3 bedroom with a tiny lot out here. Not that I'd want such a ridiculous house, but the contrast is insane.
Since you are coming from an upscale area, I'd assume that you'd prefer to move to another upscale area? Dutchess County (Fishkill) is more upscale than Malta. Proximity to New York City is the key here. If you explore housing in Westchester County (next county south of Dutchess on the East side of the Hudson) you can expect to find prices closer to what is experienced in the Silicon Valley.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:57 AM

8 posts, read 10,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamshot View Post
Since you are coming from an upscale area, I'd assume that you'd prefer to move to another upscale area? Dutchess County (Fishkill) is more upscale than Malta. Proximity to New York City is the key here. If you explore housing in Westchester County (next county south of Dutchess on the East side of the Hudson) you can expect to find prices closer to what is experienced in the Silicon Valley.
Actually I am not looking for "upscale," I am looking for a good bang for my buck when it comes to housing so I can save more money for retirement and travel. I'd prefer an older house with some charm and character to some monstrosity that won't last 100 years. I am also looking for something similar to where I grew up, 30 miles outside of Boston. Nearby houses, plenty of neighborhood kids, middle-upper middle class. Both areas seem to fit that bill to some extent.

Both areas look really good compared to here in terms of cost and culture. I love the weather, but everything else is pretty poor, especially the public education. How CA fails in that endeavor is beyond comprehension. At this point I don't think the area will play as much of a role as the specific job and manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York