Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2006, 10:58 AM

5 posts, read 55,171 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Rego Park and got stuck in Michigan (I'm serious; this is now month 9 of trying to get the hell out of here). I have a B.S. in Psychology (with no experience because the job market in Michigan is nearly non-existent) and I have been trying to get a job in Brooklyn so I can go to graduate school in the city. But, there have been absolutely no call-backs. Can someone enlighten me? Are there no jobs for people with Bachelors in the human services fields in the city? Or am I just unlucky?

Anyway, I am getting to the point of desperation to leave this crappy, jobless state and get back home that I have started looking into towns outside of the city. Sleepy Hollow has a cool name...can anyone tell me what it's like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 06:16 PM

302 posts, read 1,445,424 times
was called tarrytown a few years back. on the east side of the tappanzee bridge, westchester county.

Old 02-01-2007, 03:52 PM

26 posts, read 228,609 times
Actually, Sleepy Hollow is the former North Tarrytown, and it's right north of Tarrytown.

SH is a mix of working class and expensive homes. It's close to one of the most beautiful parks in New York: Rockefeller State Park.

And you have a choice of two train stations: Tarrytown or Philipse Manor (which is near an upscale section of town).

Old 02-02-2007, 07:21 AM

431 posts, read 2,127,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaPie View Post
I'm originally from Rego Park and got stuck in Michigan (I'm serious; this is now month 9 of trying to get the hell out of here). I have a B.S. in Psychology (with no experience because the job market in Michigan is nearly non-existent) and I have been trying to get a job in Brooklyn so I can go to graduate school in the city. But, there have been absolutely no call-backs. Can someone enlighten me? Are there no jobs for people with Bachelors in the human services fields in the city? Or am I just unlucky?

Anyway, I am getting to the point of desperation to leave this crappy, jobless state and get back home that I have started looking into towns outside of the city. Sleepy Hollow has a cool name...can anyone tell me what it's like there?
With a B.A in psych you should be able to get a job as a social worker in NYC. the pay is not that great though so you have to think about where you will live and how you'll be able to pay your bills. You may not be getting call backs because of the Michigan address on your resume. If you have friends/relatives in NY, use their address and get yourself a phone with a NY area code. You can use Vonage to get any area code that you want.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 37,330 times
If you're in your early 20s and single, get a studio in NYC. Sleepy Hollow is boring, perfect for double-income families with 2 or more kids. The shopping is terrible, you need a car to get to a mall or a list of stores. You move here, you better get yourself one or more hobbies, join some clubs, the social scene is... yawn... you'll end up taking metro north to go into the city all the time.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:00 PM

954 posts, read 4,381,079 times
Tarrytown is quaint and pretty and great to raise a family. Doesn't sound like that is your gig at this point. Come to the city. I manage a program at a CUNY (a new yorker will know what this is) College, that provides seminars and conferences for nonprofit professionals. If you haven't, you should do at least two things.
1. Sign up for the Young Nonprofit Professionals Network listserv (YNPN). They send out tons of jobs every week.
2. Create an account on Idealist.org
You can request that jobs meeting a specific criteria be sent to you.
That is at least a way to start.

PM me if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: