Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 03:01 AM

46 posts, read 120,958 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to get a better feel for each of the 3 cities for a possible relocation. Each of the cities are a possibility so we're trying to narrow it down to one before we get into the finer details of which specific neighborhood.

We're a family of 4 (2 young children), coming from San Diego (4 years living here) but native Michiganders. We want what everyone wants: least possible crime, nice neighborhood, friendly people, good schools.

Growing up in the suburbs between Detroit and Ann Arbor the 2 cities are night and day and it was very easy to understand that East (Detroit) was not a place to live especially for a family and that West was best. The further West you go the suburbs would improve to a certain point and then you had your pick at several very good suburbs. Ann Arbor being a university town and also known to be quite liberal and progressive. Here in San Diego we feel like we have the good suburbs and Detroit scattered and mixed all together with a very strong Ann Arbor vibe. We wish to leave for several reasons but mostly the crime and the CA mentality.

Can anyone relate to this description? and help categorize these 3 cities for me? We don't plan to live in the city but would want to choose a suburb near the city that fits us the best. I stumbled on a Buffalo thread yesterday and I get the impression that it is a sinking, depressed city that resembles Detroit. Almost every comment was negative and people can't wait to move out - except that the summers are fun with concerts and there is life again for a few short months. Is Buffalo really bad? Are Rochester and Syracuse similar?

Thanks for any helpful comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 12:37 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Rochester is more affluent and has a better economy than either Syracuse or Buffalo.

If you're interested in suburbs, that's also another area that Rochester clearly shines over the other two. For the most part, Rochester's suburbs are just plain nicer.

I'd recommend pretty much any suburb, you can't go wrong with any. But mostly I'd say look at Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford, Brighton, West Irondequoit or Victor. All nice towns, all good school districts.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Actually, out of the 3 areas, Syracuse may give you the best combo of college town feel, good schools in the suburbs and other amenities. Particularly, I'd say that the Jamesville-DeWitt school district sounds like what you want. It is a diverse school district where many Syracuse University affiliated people live. It is pretty close to the campus too. Some of the SU affiliated folks live in the next suburb over in the Fayetteville-Manlius school district. It is arguably the second most affluent district in Upstate NY. Ironically, the most affluent census tract in the Syracuse area is in the J-D school district.

Also, while Rochester probably has the best suburbs overall out of the 3, the metros aren't that far apart in some economic aspects, if i'm not mistaken. I believe that Brookings had a listing in terms of income and housing, along with other factors. If I can find it, I'll post it.

I'm familiar with SE Michigan, as I have family in the area and went to college in MI for a few years. So, places like Chelsea, Ypsilanti, Dexter, Plymouth, Canton, Belleville, Brighton, Romulus and Milan are familiar to me. I have family in Farmington and have family that lives near Palmer Park in the city of Detroit.

Here's some information you may like to view: http://www.jamesvilledewitt.org/

http://www.fmschools.org/

Also, sweetpea, I believe that you have a child with special needs right? I do as well and if you want to look into programs that will be of interest to you in regards to activities for special needs children, look into the programs at the East Area YMCA in Fayetteville. http://www.ymcaofgreatersyracuse.org/eastarea/ We just signed up to join, because my daughter likes to swim and the sensory input from the pool works for her(she has autism). we found out about the program from a former teacher of hers at the Jowonio School. So, that is something else to think about as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-03-2012 at 01:48 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 07:10 PM

192 posts, read 530,370 times
Rochester is definitely the most affluent of the three cities. Even back in the day Buffalo was always more blue collar. Like Cleveland or Detroit it was dependent on the steel mills and other heavy industry. On the other hand Rochester being home to high tech companies such as Kodak and Xerox was and is less blue collar. With that being said both Kodak and Xerox have laid off a lot of people as well. But Rochester seems to have adjusted better then Buffalo did. For instance Rochester is the only upstate metro with consistent growth and has the lowest unemployment rate.

I wouldn’t be so quick to write off Buffalo. I’m sure there is a lot of negativity on the forum but try not to let that shape your image of the city too much; Buffalo is a great city with a lot to offer. In my opinion Buffalo’s downtown is better than Rochester’s. There just seems to be more to do there they even have a light rail that runs from downtown to the university. Syracuse also has a better downtown with Clinton and armory squares, although Rochester’s downtown does have one really vibrant section (the East End). What Rochester lacks in its center city it makes up for in its neighborhoods which are overall much more vibrant then either Buffalo or Syracuse. It is often described as a city of urban villages.

Lastly Rochester, and Buffalo for that matter, are great lakes cities which should make them very similar to Michigan.

Last edited by Corrion14621; 01-03-2012 at 07:47 PM..

Old 01-03-2012, 07:13 PM

192 posts, read 530,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Rochester is more affluent and has a better economy than either Syracuse or Buffalo.

If you're interested in suburbs, that's also another area that Rochester clearly shines over the other two. For the most part, Rochester's suburbs are just plain nicer.

I'd recommend pretty much any suburb, you can't go wrong with any. But mostly I'd say look at Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford, Brighton, West Irondequoit or Victor. All nice towns, all good school districts.

This is solid advice. If you want to live in one of the suburbs any of those would be fine; although Brighton and Pittsford are by far the best school districts.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:37 AM

46 posts, read 120,958 times
Thank you so much for all the suggestions. You've all been very helpful! Sorry if you've been repeating yourselves with all the same information over and over again! Seems like everyone is moving to NY! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, out of the 3 areas, Syracuse may give you the best combo of college town feel, good schools in the suburbs and other amenities. Particularly, I'd say that the Jamesville-DeWitt school district sounds like what you want. It is a diverse school district where many Syracuse University affiliated people live. It is pretty close to the campus too. Some of the SU affiliated folks live in the next suburb over in the Fayetteville-Manlius school district. It is arguably the second most affluent district in Upstate NY. Ironically, the most affluent census tract in the Syracuse area is in the J-D school district.
I don't know if we need to be in such an affluent neighborhood but it sounds like Syracuse is taking the lead with offering more alternative school options which may or may not be necessary for my son. We've not been very impressed with the CA public school system and when some problems came up it was very beneficial to have so many options to choose from (charters galore, magnets, co op or charter homeschools). It's hard to get a feel for what the public school system is like in NY and if we were stuck in a area where there were not many options, I might regret it!

Quote:
I'm familiar with SE Michigan, as I have family in the area and went to college in MI for a few years. So, places like Chelsea, Ypsilanti, Dexter, Plymouth, Canton, Belleville, Brighton, Romulus and Milan are familiar to me. I have family in Farmington and have family that lives near Palmer Park in the city of Detroit.
Well it really can be a small world can't it? We lived in Plymouth and had many friends and family in every nook and cranny in the rest of the state! We would love to find a nice little town like Plymouth or even Farmington. Something quaint, near a park or a town center that can help draw a community together for an occasional parade or music concert! Mmmm, Canton - not so much. A little too boring on the eyes and no downtown center to gravitate to. Ypsi - a little too much of a college crowd and bars (lol - although maybe it was a quaint little family town during the daytime! ?) Some of the others you mentioned Chelsea, Dexter - maybe those are a little on the rural side for us.

Sigh> we just want to plant ourselves around like minded people - not keep up with the Jones type - in a safe neighborhood where the kids can build lasting friendships and not have to constantly say goodbye to another transient military family moving out just weeks after we met them! UGH! It's been a rough few years around here.

Quote:
Also, sweetpea, I believe that you have a child with special needs right? I do as well and if you want to look into programs that will be of interest to you in regards to activities for special needs children, look into the programs at the East Area YMCA in Fayetteville. East Area Family YMCA - YMCA of Greater Syracuse We just signed up to join, because my daughter likes to swim and the sensory input from the pool works for her(she has autism). we found out about the program from a former teacher of hers at the Jowonio School. So, that is something else to think about as well.
Thank you so much. . I will look into those programs. Now is this specific to that YMCA or does Rochester or Buffalo have a YMCA with those programs too? Well, I'll just check the interent! But this is something I would be very interested in. We drive 50 minutes to a YMCA in San Diego that hosts an open gym night once a month for the Autism Society. My son has ADHD and Aspergers. At times his biggest struggles are sensory more than anything else. He loves the pool too... and the ball pit.... and the swing... and ... lol.

Well, I can see how this will pan out. We'll want Syracuse for the services/school options but we'll find the perfect neighborhood somewhere in Rochester and my husbands job transfer will end up in Buffalo. It never can be easy right?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 AM

Well, the thing about all 3 areas is that they have the quaint villages that you like. Don't count out the Fayetteville-Manlius area, as both villages have that feel. They have parades, the nice village center, library, places to eat, Parks, outdoor concerts and in the case of Fayetteville, plenty of shopping. You can still find homes for around 150,000, if not less. Here's info on both: http://www.fayettevilleny.gov/

http://www.manliusvillage.org/

Home Page - Town of Manlius, NY

As for the YMCA's, I'm sure that there is something similar in both areas.

In the Jamesville-DeWitt area, the Hamlet of Jamesville has events, if I'm not mistaken.

Just to be fair to the other areas, you may like a village like Brockport, which has a state college and perhaps a village like Williamsville, which is in the Buffalo area. Perhaps villages like. Fairport, East Aurora, Pittsford, Lancaster, Kenmore, Webster, Hilton, Hamburg and Orchard Park, among some others.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:54 PM

466 posts, read 982,007 times
Any special needs programs that Syracuse offers, Rochester would offer as well. Both areas have many YMCA's.

You really can't go wrong with any of the three cities, but Rochester seems to have the most going for it economically.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM

You may be interested in this school considering your son's interests: Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School | Elementary

SU Player Visits SAS Varsity Team

Old 01-05-2012, 12:59 PM

628 posts, read 662,792 times
not sure how affluent Rochester is anymore. Hell, Kodak just filed for bankruptcy. Still, it is a fine city, as is Buffalo.

My vote (which is biased as hell) is for Syracuse, which is arguably the only upstate city which is growing. Construction is on the rise and the census reported a net gain in populaiton, which is the only upstate city to do so. It will also provide you with the best balance of thriving downtown and safe, well educated subarbs. Also, it is much closer to the coast, which means short trips to manhatten, philly, the shore, etc.. Syracuse also boasts the best universities in upstate with SU and Cornell.

good areas to look at:
jamesville-dewitt
fayetteville-manlius
Skaneateles (although a bit farther than the rest)

Of course, you can't go wrong with NY, so western ny with buffalo and rochester and upstate with syracuse and don't forget albany are all great places to raise a family.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York