Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:48 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
Rochester is more affluent and has a better economy than either Syracuse or Buffalo.

If you're interested in suburbs, that's also another area that Rochester clearly shines over the other two. For the most part, Rochester's suburbs are just plain nicer.

I'd recommend pretty much any suburb, you can't go wrong with any. But mostly I'd say look at Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford, Brighton, West Irondequoit or Victor. All nice towns, all good school districts.
I'd put East Aurora, Orchard Park, Clarence & Williamville up against any "affluent" suburbs Rochester has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 03:22 PM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
I'd put East Aurora, Orchard Park, Clarence & Williamville up against any "affluent" suburbs Rochester has to offer.
They're all very nice, but I myself would prefer Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford, Perinton, Mendon and Victor. That's a huge area of Rochester suburbia that is quite nice and affluent and all connected.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:28 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
Quote:
What about Hamburg? I always thought Hamburg had just as nice of homes as the rest of the nicer Buffalo suburbs.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:48 PM

93,394 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Same with DeWitt, The Fayetteville-Manlius and Cazenovia connection to the East of Syracuse and the Westhill, West Genesee, Marcellus and Skaneateles connection to the West of Syracuse. Some may add the Amherst, Williamsville and Clarence conglomerate in the Buffalo area can be put up there in terms of school districts as well.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
What about Hamburg? I always thought Hamburg had just as nice of homes as the rest of the nicer Buffalo suburbs.
While it definitely has affluent areas Hamburg is more of a middle class suburb which I in no way mean as a knock as I live in Hamburg & love it here. Lancaster is a very nice middle class suburb too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Same with DeWitt, The Fayetteville-Manlius and Cazenovia connection to the East of Syracuse and the Westhill, West Genesee, Marcellus and Skaneateles connection to the West of Syracuse. Some may add the Amherst, Williamsville and Clarence conglomerate in the Buffalo area can be put up there in terms of school districts as well.
Clarence & Orchard Park are very good school districts too, in fact pretty much all outer ring Buffalo suburbs have excellent schools.

Old 01-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
They're all very nice, but I myself would prefer Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford, Perinton, Mendon and Victor. That's a huge area of Rochester suburbia that is quite nice and affluent and all connected.
... and thats fine. I just wanted to point out that Buffalo (and Syracuse) have very safe & charming suburbs too as it seemed like this thread had turned into Rochester's suburbs are great & Buffalo's are s&*t ...... which isn't even close to the truth.

I personally prefer the Buffalo area because it has more of the things I like to do (pro sports & skiing) & its proximity to Toronto ....... but to each his own.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:15 PM

466 posts, read 982,770 times
Quote:
... and thats fine. I just wanted to point out that Buffalo (and Syracuse) have very safe & charming suburbs too as it seemed like this thread had turned into Rochester's suburbs are great & Buffalo's are s&*t ...... which isn't even close to the truth.

I personally prefer the Buffalo area because it has more of the things I like to do (pro sports & skiing) & its proximity to Toronto ....... but to each his own.
Oh if I came off that way I certainly didn't mean to. Buffalo and Syracuse have excellent suburbs. All 3 do.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 AM

36 posts, read 103,865 times
For my two cents - when I lived in Buffalo I was single and childless, but I didn't find it a bad place at all. Sure, there are areas I wouldn't take the kids for a stroll in, but I would check it out for myself before listening to horror stories. If you stuck to the north parts of it (Amherst, etc.) there's some nicer areas. They're not fancy but it's not bad either - and it's not far at all from some little villagey types of places towards the east. You'll pretty much know immediately when you hit a neighborhood that's less than ideal - those are pretty obviously "bad" neighborhoods. The only parts I've found to be kind of dumps were... oh my, I can't believe I'm forgetting, it's been a while, but I think it was the Cheektowaga area and so-called "suburbs" (I'd say neighborhooods) to the south.

And there's plenty to do - with kids or otherwise. And there's Niagara, Toronto, you can go camping, drive out and look at farms, the zoo, Six Flags, go to concerts, etc. There really is a lot to do for a family.

Rochester is more affluent but I'm not really that familiar with it. I honestly don't know what all the hype about Syracuse is about - it's not a bad place at all but I don't see why it's ranked so much higher than Buffalo. Syracuse has its bad neighborhoods too.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:27 AM

93,394 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyyrah View Post
For my two cents - when I lived in Buffalo I was single and childless, but I didn't find it a bad place at all. Sure, there are areas I wouldn't take the kids for a stroll in, but I would check it out for myself before listening to horror stories. If you stuck to the north parts of it (Amherst, etc.) there's some nicer areas. They're not fancy but it's not bad either - and it's not far at all from some little villagey types of places towards the east. You'll pretty much know immediately when you hit a neighborhood that's less than ideal - those are pretty obviously "bad" neighborhoods. The only parts I've found to be kind of dumps were... oh my, I can't believe I'm forgetting, it's been a while, but I think it was the Cheektowaga area and so-called "suburbs" (I'd say neighborhooods) to the south.

And there's plenty to do - with kids or otherwise. And there's Niagara, Toronto, you can go camping, drive out and look at farms, the zoo, Six Flags, go to concerts, etc. There really is a lot to do for a family.

Rochester is more affluent but I'm not really that familiar with it. I honestly don't know what all the hype about Syracuse is about - it's not a bad place at all but I don't see why it's ranked so much higher than Buffalo. Syracuse has its bad neighborhoods too.
All 3 have their bad neighborhoods, but out of the 3, Syracuse has the lowest crime rate. To be honest, the differences between the 3 are not huge at all, except for Syracuse being a bit smaller as a metro in terms of population.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,594,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
All 3 have their bad neighborhoods, but out of the 3, Syracuse has the lowest crime rate. To be honest, the differences between the 3 are not huge at all, except for Syracuse being a bit smaller as a metro in terms of population.
This...

If you were going to have to "rank" them on livability there would only be marginal differences; however I'd put it like this..

If you are talking about living strictly within city limits...I'd rank them as such;.... Syracuse, Buffalo, Rochester

If you are talking about niceness and livability of suburbs; then I'd say it goes;

Rochester, Syracuse, Buffalo

But again, all three are much more similar than different in the big picture (Buffalo and Rochester probably having more in common with each other than either do with Syracuse though). So I'd say go where you find good employment, and where you get the best feeling of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York