Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM

469 posts, read 1,640,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
Most every state offers the in-state-tuition discount for state-funded schools. The only requirement is residency for the preceding 12 months before the start of the semester. You will need to establish a driver's license or state ID, and show utility bills along with proof of address for that time (it will not be enough to say that you lived with your aunt). I went to a couple of the community colleges (Schenectady County CC, Mohawk Valley CC) along with SUNY-Albany along with Queens College (CUNY), mostly at the out-of-state rate because I do move a lot, but still affordable in comparison to private universities, grants helped, loans will as well. But the SUNY/CUNY system itself is fantastic with so many degree options, look into it, and consider attending. Remember your first year would be out-of-state but the remaining three would be in-state-tuition, so you're looking to add a few thousand to tuition, and I would consider maybe taking classes at one of the Community Colleges and then transferring credits to keep the cost down.
So if I moved over the border and stayed there for twelve months, after that I would receive the in-state tuition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 04:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
So if I moved over the border and stayed there for twelve months, after that I would receive the in-state tuition?
No. You can't move for school. You must register your car, register to vote, get a driver's license, file income taxes, have utilities in your name and a lease/mortgage, etc. Each school system is different and even schools treat this differently.

I get in-state tuition in GA even though I live in SC. I live in a border county and both states have a reciprocity agrement. You should see the pile of paperwork I have to fill out, bring documentation, and get notarized. And I've lived here for almost 2 years. Even with all of my documentation, they can say no.

When I applied to USC (the one in SC), they make every single student apply for residency. Holy moly! That was a mile high pile of paperwork.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
No. You can't move for school. You must register your car, register to vote, get a driver's license, file income taxes, have utilities in your name and a lease/mortgage, etc. Each school system is different and even schools treat this differently.

I get in-state tuition in GA even though I live in SC. I live in a border county and both states have a reciprocity agrement. You should see the pile of paperwork I have to fill out, bring documentation, and get notarized. And I've lived here for almost 2 years. Even with all of my documentation, they can say no.

When I applied to USC (the one in SC), they make every single student apply for residency. Holy moly! That was a mile high pile of paperwork.
Essentially, if you move over the border for twelve months you must acquire the license, income taxes, etc. I meant if I were to completely move my life over to NY, after twelve months would I receive the in-state tuition? I like Oswego and New Paltz schools.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:57 PM

I would like to reask my aforementioned question. What is the cheapest New York State school (including SUNYs) that are most affordable for out-of-state students? I am thinking of potentially transferring to a NYS school.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
I would like to reask my aforementioned question. What is the cheapest New York State school (including SUNYs) that are most affordable for out-of-state students? I am thinking of potentially transferring to a NYS school.
Look on a college website. There are out-of-state tuitions and fees.

If you move here, really establish residence, get a real full time job, do your taxes here, have a lease an TRULY live here for over a year and then apply... consider that the state will STILL question your residence if you are under 21. Why? While at 18, you are an adult, most kids go thru college while mom/dad pay, even many with jobs.

Now, as to what is cheapest, most privates do not give a hoot about residence. Look up the SUNY system. Each posts their tuition and fees and costs for living. If you are trying to prove residence, you are not going to do it living in dorms, so scrap that. Figure all college fees, figure cost of an apt, car, food and all else and then yo have a cost for college.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 PM

I am over 21 but if I had to transfer now and pay the out-of-state tuitions - which college is the cheapest? That is what I meant by my question.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 PM

any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 29,581 times
I live in Rockland County and my girlfriend was from Bergen County. In order to be accepted into a SUNY/CUNY schools and get the in state tuition, she decided to move to Suffern, New York (she was also kind of sick of New Jersey.) She attended Rockland Community College (RCC) for a year and a half. She got her NYS license and everything was registered in New York. Here's where it gets bad....

For starters, even though my girlfriend had everything registered in New York, they still wouldn't give her the in state tuition rate because her mother who lived in NJ was claiming her for taxes still. But she didn't mind, as it's community college and really not overly expensive. We both decided to attend SUNY Cortland last June. Everything was fine, but for some reason even after living in state for two years, becoming a full resident and finally claiming herself, New York still refuses to believe she is a resident. They still charge her double the tuition as if she was out of state. The offices believe that she is only a NY resident just to get the in-state tuition which is why they refuse to give it to her. Screwed up huh?

If you have the money to pay for out of state tuition rates, than go ahead. But if you don't want to be paying loans for a long time, I would choose somewhere else. To become a New Yorker, you need to live in the state for 1 year so it's going to take awhile to get the in state tuition rate (if they give it to you.)

My mom always told me I'm not allowed to leave the state for college. She gave me the choice of either SUNY or CUNY and nothing else because it's so much cheaper to stay in-state.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Not screwed up at all...... She clearly moved to NY for the purpose of attending school ..... However it does serve as a good cautionary tale that "just live there for a year and get residency" isn't that cut and dry

Old 02-14-2012, 10:04 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,814,904 times
This is from a search of "SUNY Residency":

SUNY: Residency

This is "proof of domicile" (in NY, for in-state tuition)
Campuses rely on documents and circumstances such as, but not limited to, the following to determine if an individual's domicile is in New York State. For financially dependent students, the campus relies on documents relating to the parents or legal guardian.
  1. Duration of physical presence in NY.
  2. State of residency of the student's family.
  3. NY State voter registration.
  4. NY State driver's license.
  5. NY State motor vehicle registration.
  6. NY State real property ownership.
  7. NY State residential rental lease.
  8. NY State income tax returns.

After you read that, then look up each school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York