Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM

88,792 posts, read 85,187,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joriiss View Post
I don't recommend going to places like SUNY Albany or any of the CUNY schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Why?
Same question here.

I live in NJ. My daughter goes to SUNY Albany, though she's currently at school abroad for a semester, returning home next week.

It depends, of course, on what your kid is studying, but mine is a language major and UAlbany is a good school for languages.

And the SUNY tuition for out of state is not much more than the RU tuition for NJ state residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 02:45 AM

469 posts, read 1,642,703 times
I was looking at SUNY Oswego. Does it cost the same as SUNY Rockland for out of state?

Old 01-10-2012, 04:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,258,427 times
here is more about the Oswego online programs
SUNY Oswego - On-Line Degrees

what state are you in currently?

if you are in PA - why not explore something like PSU World Campus? ... there are other options of public schools that offer online as well, like Clarion ..... both would charge for a year instate what oswego would charge for a semester out of state

Penn State | Online Degrees, Online Courses, and Online Certificates offered by Penn State

if you are the other direction over in VT they have options through their state schools as well

for example, here is an online CC
Center for Online Learning - Community College of Vermont

if in NJ you have places like Passaic County CC offering online courses @ $100/cr for in-state residents

places like New Jersey City University offer online programs for $8k-$9k per year ... still cheaper than SUNY online for out of state

Tuition & Fee Rates - NJCU :: Office of the Controller - NJCU :: Office of the Controller

Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 PM

13 posts, read 20,888 times
City College of New York and Lehman College

Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,672,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe you can get in state residency if you take at least 6 credit for the fall, spring and summer straight through. I know that this was the case when I was in school in Michigan. It could be something to look into for NY.
That ONLY works in NY if you set up a permanent residency. You MUST get a NYS driver's license, a lease/purchase a home, utilities, file taxes, etc all in your name for a minimum of 12 months prior to the semester starting. And YES they do check and you better have proof or else they will charge you out of state tuition which you must pay immediately. Some schools also have the power to kick you out. If you don't pay the difference in tuition, you will be kicked out of the school and your credit will be impacted. Certain SUNY schools actually have the Attorney General sue you! Residency isn't something NY messes around with!

Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,423,361 times
Nassau Community College is cheap... but do you really want to go to a college out of state that is a community college? I mean, you could probably get a discount b/c you are a state resident if your state has a state college program...like SUNY for NY or Rutgers for NJ. NYers get cheaper tuition rates @ SUNYs than out-of-staters do.... so if your state offers that, I don't know why you would look out of state.

Good luck though!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:48 AM

199 posts, read 422,179 times
Most every state offers the in-state-tuition discount for state-funded schools. The only requirement is residency for the preceding 12 months before the start of the semester. You will need to establish a driver's license or state ID, and show utility bills along with proof of address for that time (it will not be enough to say that you lived with your aunt). I went to a couple of the community colleges (Schenectady County CC, Mohawk Valley CC) along with SUNY-Albany along with Queens College (CUNY), mostly at the out-of-state rate because I do move a lot, but still affordable in comparison to private universities, grants helped, loans will as well. But the SUNY/CUNY system itself is fantastic with so many degree options, look into it, and consider attending. Remember your first year would be out-of-state but the remaining three would be in-state-tuition, so you're looking to add a few thousand to tuition, and I would consider maybe taking classes at one of the Community Colleges and then transferring credits to keep the cost down.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:56 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,258,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYisontop View Post
Remember your first year would be out-of-state but the remaining three would be in-state-tuition
That is absolutely not a given ....... while it could be true, there are other items that need to be hit ...... many you addressed earlier in your post, but in general what they will want to see is that you are in NY to live aside from school, not that you are there for school (and then high tail it on out) ...... they will want you to be fully independent as far as taxes, insurance, etc

Without that they could argue that the only reason why you lived there for that first year was to attend school and if that's the case it wouldn't count as "residency"

it's a complex enough topic that they would be best advised to talk to the schools themselves and document when possible

Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM

469 posts, read 1,642,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
here is more about the Oswego online programs
SUNY Oswego - On-Line Degrees

what state are you in currently?

if you are in PA - why not explore something like PSU World Campus? ... there are other options of public schools that offer online as well, like Clarion ..... both would charge for a year instate what oswego would charge for a semester out of state

Penn State | Online Degrees, Online Courses, and Online Certificates offered by Penn State

if you are the other direction over in VT they have options through their state schools as well

for example, here is an online CC
Center for Online Learning - Community College of Vermont

if in NJ you have places like Passaic County CC offering online courses @ $100/cr for in-state residents

places like New Jersey City University offer online programs for $8k-$9k per year ... still cheaper than SUNY online for out of state

Tuition & Fee Rates - NJCU :: Office of the Controller - NJCU :: Office of the Controller
I was unaware of the fact that NJCU offered online programs and for that cheap. It's good, as the school is in a dreadfully dangerous area. I still think, unless it's much more money, that SUNY would look better than NJCU on paper. What are your thoughts?

Secondly, what do you feel is a better school overall - SUNY New Paltz or SUNY Oswego? Lastly, are there any SUNY's near Poughkeepsie/Beacon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York