Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,311,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
That's fine, you read it in order to respond. You should educate yourself a little more. Much of what you post is simply reactionary Fox News talking points. And like most people like you, you refuse to see the other side of the issue.

Also, I deal with it every day. I work as an environmental scientist.
Are you against nuclear power plants? Our esteemed Governor Cuomo wants to shut Indian Point, with nothing to replace the power it provides (20%+ of our needs).

I mean even environmental scientists don't want people to have to deal with 100 degree heat in the summer with no air conditioning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 03:25 PM

86 posts, read 209,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Are you against nuclear power plants? Our esteemed Governor Cuomo wants to shut Indian Point, with nothing to replace the power it provides (20%+ of our needs).

I mean even environmental scientists don't want people to have to deal with 100 degree heat in the summer with no air conditioning.
I'm not a huge fan of Cuomo but I would agree with him when it comes to that. God forbid something ever happened there you would see horrific consequences. I don't live too far from Indian Point. If the winds were blowing the right way and something went wrong, it isn't very easy to escape NYC. Better safe than sorry.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Cuomo but I would agree with him when it comes to that. God forbid something ever happened there you would see horrific consequences. I don't live too far from Indian Point. If the winds were blowing the right way and something went wrong, it isn't very easy to escape NYC. Better safe than sorry.
I suggest you move. Meanwhile, you can't just cut off 25% of our power supply before it is replaced!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:05 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,868,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
^This. The geography of NY and Long Island would make leaving there almost impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I suggest you move. Meanwhile, you can't just cut off 25% of our power supply before it is replaced!
Why does the person need to move?

Also, that's why I suggested wind power off the Long Island coast, NJ coast, Massachusetts. Wind is pretty consistent in those areas about 15 miles or more off the coast. Also, there seems to be some newer technologies in converting uranium nuclear to thorium nuclear which is much safer. Look into it, if you wish.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_...horium_reactor

Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
^This. The geography of NY and Long Island would make leaving there almost impossible.

Also, that's why I suggested wind power off the Long Island coast, NJ coast, Massachusetts. Wind is pretty consistent in those areas about 15 miles or more off the coast. Also, there seems to be some newer technologies in converting uranium nuclear to thorium nuclear which is much safer. Look into it, if you wish.
Liquid fluoride thorium reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's great. Do it first, then close Indian Point, not the other way around.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:28 AM

95,090 posts, read 126,616,309 times
Quote:

Liquid fluoride thorium reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think that other forms of energy should be considered and used. I do wonder if going to wind power would create a group of NIMBYs in those areas like this proposal did in Cape Vincent: BP "Terminates" Controversial Plans For Cape Vincent Wind Farm | WWNY TV 7 - News, Weather and Sports for | Local News

Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 AM

I came across this article and it reminded me about the previous discussion about wind power: Syracuse University News » » Wind Power Can Be Cost-Comparable, New Analysis Reveals

Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM

9,276 posts, read 13,449,291 times
Quote:
You obviously have no background in environmental science. Read and learn a little bit about your own state:

Groundwater - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

"There is no place in New York State where you can drill and not hit water." The entire state has an abundant groundwater supply, the envy of many other states, and much of it is quite pristine. Aquifers are present in the Southern Tier just as they are present elsewhere, just that they are not recharging reservoirs and rivers of major names like the Delaware or the Hudson.

Think a little more scientifically and less reactionary. There is a reason that the NYSDEC is not jumping on fracking. NY is not PA. NY has far greater water resources than PA. PA has almost no natural lakes- glaciation stopped in NY, so it has carved out natural lakes. PA doesn't have this, at all. So, its not a huge tourist destination for lake based recreation. NY is. PA doesn't attract many downstaters to their forests and wineries. Its a completely different demographic in PA's natural areas vs NYS.

Lastly, PA has a history of pollution, a vast pollution legacy, that continues to scar the landscape today. Its just not that attractive a place to visit. The coal industry came in and destroyed PA, with rivers that run orange to this day (from acid mine drainage). Funny how the industry is now nowhere to be found with regard to remediating this. Do you think the natural gas industry is any different? If you f-with Mother Nature, she turns your rivers orange:

Acid Mine Drainage

The pristine nature of most of the lakes and rivers in NY are of utmost importance, not just for tourism but for quality of life. If you want to see whats left of an already overtaxed, expensive state, just start fracking.

If you want to see an even more depressed Southern Tier, have a couple of wells destroy a major river or lake like Chautauqua Lake. Check out the Dan River situation in NC right now. A major industry destroyed a major river and its not coming back for a while. That company, Duke Energy, wants nothing to do with its cleanup, in fact, its continues to dump coal ash into the river! That's how much they care.
Good post. I tend to think of Pennsylvania and New York as being similar states, almost like two peas in a pod. Interesting however, they are handing the fracking so differently. In this case I am certainly glad of the cautious approach New York is taking.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM

6 posts, read 12,792 times
Has anyone seen those videos of people lighting up water?? How is fracking even a debate/up for discussion is beyond me.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:52 AM

While this is in PA, I found this article on the innovation Trail website: Anti-fracking activist fights Cabot injunction in court | Innovation Trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York