Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:29 PM

74 posts, read 348,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachgirl View Post
Hi there!

I wrote that line and my reasons were, basically, that as compared to other towns in the area, those two have a higher crime rate (Monticello esp.) and lower standard of living over-all... although in my original post, I was addressing the school systems more than anything else, which, in those 2 towns, have a VERY active gang problem. That is not to say you can't find some nice neighborhoods, but you have to be careful. If you have no kids, you'd be much less affected, and both have some very nice residential areas. Monticello is where WalMart, Home Depot, etc are, so if you are a shopper... well, Sullivan is probably not your BEST choice unless you like to drive *grin*.. but Monticello is the spot.

Harris, by the way, is a little teeny section between Monticello and Liberty. I'm not sure which school district it belongs to - I think Monticello. It houses the local hospital and not much else! If your job op is there, you should know that after several years of economic ups-and-downs, the hospital is finally enjoying a fiscal resurgence and a greatly improved reputation, especially in its oncology and maternity/l & d depts. (Also, it's nursing staff in general is well-regarded.) The ER still has reputation problems, but they do seem to be working on it.

Hope that helps!
Thank you, Peachgirl! This was helpful! I am still quite hesitant about taking this job b/c it may feel very isolating to live there, and as important as loving (or at least liking, hopefully) your job, so is where you live. I am single (divorced really) and alone, so don't want to be too rural for that reason, plus I think I won't want to feel reliant on my car for absolutely everything. Thank again, Peachgirl and everyone else so kind to reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York