Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you welcome new developments (jobs, housing, more residents) to the Upstate NY Region?
Yes, I believe that the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development. 37 71.15%
No, I do not believe the Upstate NY region has the potential for new development because the region is dead or dying. 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,296 times

Advertisements

i've lived in nys my whole life-was born in nyc-kept moving farther north now live outside schnectady,the reason taxes too high is not overly complicated-too generous welfare and way too generous medicaid,and as far as all the cities go big and small way too much money spent on police and fire protectoin=yes we need them but at what cost?other states have deputies and state troopers,allowing enough police in a department to cover the days off for sick and vacations with bringing in officers on straight time-not so w-many police and fire because of course they want it that way-who wouldnt if you.re the one making 110 plus thousand w-overtime and benefitscities around me are going broke-schenectady amsterdam,johnstown etc because of huge lavicous overtime that gutless politcians wont put an end to by simply hiring part timers to work straight time for-this would help relieve the burden to taxpayers and of course the issue of gas fracking has been completely taken over by downstate environmental extremist and lies have been told add nauseum about fracking and pollution-we desparatly need those fracking revenues since ny is addicted to the welfare population and what they cost us and the government just wont cut that spending-well it has to be paid for somehow-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthegolfer7 View Post
and of course the issue of gas fracking has been completely taken over by downstate environmental extremist and lies have been told add nauseum about fracking and pollution-we desparatly need those fracking revenues since ny is addicted to the welfare population and what they cost us and the government just wont cut that spending-well it has to be paid for somehow-
Not everyone who is against fracking is from downstate. I live in the Finger Lakes and VERY against fracking and many of my neighbors and people around here are against it as well. If fracking did come to NY, why do you think it will solve NY's tax issues? Who said NYS would be getting a huge cut of the profits?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM

639 posts, read 1,124,761 times
Upstate NY does have the potential to develop more, but the major problem is the tax burden for private businesses. Another issues that needs to be addressed is the conditions of the cities in Upstate NY.

Many of the cities are run-down with old, falling apart buildings. Also I think the bigger cities like Buffalo, Albany, and Rochester should take more initiative to promote a young working professional vibe. One of the reasons I don't like the cities in Upstate NY is the lack of good young working professional demographic. Most of the people in the Upstate NY cities are either college students, married couples living in the suburbs, or families. But these issues I mentioned can be changed if NY becomes more business friendly.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Upstate NY does have the potential to develop more, but the major problem is the tax burden for private businesses. Another issues that needs to be addressed is the conditions of the cities in Upstate NY.

Many of the cities are run-down with old, falling apart buildings. Also I think the bigger cities like Buffalo, Albany, and Rochester should take more initiative to promote a young working professional vibe. One of the reasons I don't like the cities in Upstate NY is the lack of good young working professional demographic. Most of the people in the Upstate NY cities are either college students, married couples living in the suburbs, or families. But these issues I mentioned can be changed if NY becomes more business friendly.
I've found no shortage of a young professional demographic in my time spent in Rochester, Buffalo and Albany. There multiple neighborhoods in the city of Rochester that I can think of with plenty of young professionals that aren't tied down. The nightlife here, along with the other cities revolves around those people, not not the college or married person demographic.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM

639 posts, read 1,124,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I've found no shortage of a young professional demographic in my time spent in Rochester, Buffalo and Albany. There multiple neighborhoods in the city of Rochester that I can think of with plenty of young professionals that aren't tied down. The nightlife here, along with the other cities revolves around those people, not not the college or married person demographic.
I actually have never lived in Rochester so I shouldn't have mentioned it, my bad. But I've live in Albany and my husband is from Buffalo. As for Albany I disagree. Majority of the young people here are college students, either undergraduate or graduate. Most people I encounter at bars and clubs in Albany are students. And many of the students leave the area once they've graduated, unless they originally from the area. There isn't that much nightlife in Albany that caters to young working professionals in their late 20s or 30s, and I feel like many of the people of that age group settle down in the suburbs with their significant other. At least compared to other cities I lived in such as San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Boulder.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:46 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,723,915 times
Quote:
I actually have never lived in Rochester so I shouldn't have mentioned it, my bad. But I've live in Albany and my husband is from Buffalo. As for Albany I disagree. Majority of the young people here are college students, either undergraduate or graduate. Most people I encounter at bars and clubs in Albany are students. And many of the students leave the area once they've graduated, unless they originally from the area. There isn't that much nightlife in Albany that caters to young working professionals in their late 20s or 30s, and I feel like many of the people of that age group settle down in the suburbs with their significant other. At least compared to other cities I lived in such as San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Boulder.
When I was there, I was taken out to a few places around the center square area and Saratoga. Are there larger clusters of nightlife spots that have more of a college atmosphere?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,643,377 times
Quote:
There isn't that much nightlife in Albany that caters to young working professionals in their late 20s or 30s, and I feel like many of the people of that age group settle down in the suburbs with their significant other. At least compared to other cities I lived in such as San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Boulder.
When I was in my 20's, I wasn't interested in a nightlife. I'm in my 30's and desire nightlife even less. I don't have children and have been married for quite some time. Not everyone craves a nightlife. Many people I know are perfectly happy getting together with friends at each others home or a nice restaurant. Very few are interested in clubbing or partying. Most feel much more comfortable consuming alcohol home and not dealing with driving.

And you can't compare cities like San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, or Boulder with any of the cities in NY up mentioned. The population numbers and income levels are completely different. Those are also new, young, western cities compared to everything in NY. We were a state looooooong before those states even became US territories.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:02 PM

655 posts, read 2,329,623 times
Quote:
I actually have never lived in Rochester so I shouldn't have mentioned it, my bad.

But I've lived in Albany and my husband is from Buffalo. As for Albany I disagree. Majority of the young people here are college students, either undergraduate or graduate. Most people I encounter at bars and clubs in Albany are students. And many of the students leave the area once they've graduated, unless they originally from the area.

There isn't that much nightlife in Albany that caters to young working professionals in their late 20s or 30s, and I feel like many of the people of that age group settle down in the suburbs with their significant other. At least compared to other cities I lived in such as San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Boulder.
IMO, you can't actually compare Albany-NY to cities like: San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, & Boulder; much larger and different cities=sort of embarassing to compare small, old Albany-NY to those larger, newer cities "out west". And you can't even compare Albany-NY to Syracuse, Rochester, or Buffalo.

Albany is a very small city. If you mean the term "Capital District" then that is a combination of 4 quite small cities each with its own downtowns and the 4 small cities spread-out over a large square mile area.

According to the U.S, Census Bureau, the 5 largest cities (minus any suburbs or nearby independent cities) in New York State are: 1.) New York City population=8,175,133; 2.) Buffalo pop.=261,310; 3.) Rochester pop.=210,565; 4.) Yonkers pop.=195,976; and 5.) Syracuse pop.=145,170. Albany city trails behind at 97,660 population. So Albany is a small city with 3 other nearby small cities in other area counties; cities: Schenectady, Troy, & Cohoes. The "Capital District" Albany et al MSA does not even match the Buffalo or Rochester MSA which both have a population of over 1,000,000 people each. Albany et al cities do not total 1,000,000 population. For me, Albany has a "smallish-town" vibe, atmosphere, and nightlife.

I'm not putting-down Albany city but the nightlife in most small cities is not going to be great and there's no reason for people living in Schenectady-Troy-Cohoes-Saratoga Springs or other surrounding places to "flock" to Albany city for nightlife; therefore the "not-great" nightlife. I would find the nightlife in Saratoga Springs to be as good (? better ?) as Albany city.

Several years ago I thought Albany nightlife would be pretty good because I had found the nightlife in Buffalo & Rochester to be fun and very enjoyable. So I spent many Fri-Sat nights there (rented a motel room) over a few months-weekends time-period. I was always disappointed; nightlife just not that good; I had/have more fun in my home Metro city Syracuse.

People think of Albany as a large city but it isn't really. If Albany didn't have the other 3 area small cities nearby AND the New York State Government and Empire State Government Buildings Campus Plaza located in Albany, then Albany city would not be much of a city.

All I'm saying is that I agree with you that Albany city nightlife leaves much to be desired; not worth my time. I'll "stick" with Rochester-Buffalo-Syracuse nightlife or summer resort towns nightlife in the New England states.

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-02-2012 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 AM

93,567 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Good points here. I think that the fact that there are really 3 or 4 city centers in the Capital Region hurts the nightlife or the perception of the nightlife. So, it is more spread out. With that said, you do hear about Lark Street, Downtowns Saratoga Springs and Troy having some nightlife.

Buffalo has Elmwood Village, Allentown and Hertel Ave. Rochester has the East End, Park Ave. and Monroe Ave. Syracuse Armory Square, Westcott Street and a little bit on Tipperary Hill and Little Italy. Utica has Varick Street. Ithaca has the Commons/Downtown. Binghamton has Washington Street. Of course the amount and quality will vary though.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 AM

93,567 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good points here. I think that the fact that there are really 3 or 4 city centers in the Capital Region hurts the nightlife or the perception of the nightlife. So, it is more spread out. With that said, you do hear about Lark Street, Downtowns Saratoga Springs and Troy having some nightlife.

Buffalo has Elmwood Village, Allentown and Hertel Ave. Rochester has the East End, Park Ave. and Monroe Ave. Syracuse Armory Square, Westcott Street and a little bit on Tipperary Hill and Little Italy. Utica has Varick Street. Ithaca has the Commons/Downtown. Binghamton has Washington Street. Of course the amount and quality will vary though.
Just to add to this, these publications could help in finding things to do: Syracuse New Times

Metroland

City Newspaper

Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly

Ithaca Times : Ithaca news, entertainment, arts, restaurants, classifieds, wineries, serving Ithaca New York.

The Utica Phoenix*|*

About Us | ragazine.cc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York