Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 05:40 AM

2 posts, read 10,952 times

Advertisements

Thanks for info everyone. I didn't move because I decided that it wouldn't be a good change for my mother. I hope to move there eventually. I am only 58 and retired. Many of my friends have moved there already. J.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2006, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 13,743 times
Hi, I am 50 and was born and raised in Kingston. They have an excellent public transportation system and there are wonderful programs and housing for the elderly. My mother belonged to the Mid-Town senior center and went to Atlantic City once a month and Las Vegas once a year. You will have no problem getting around without a car. As someone else said, there are good and bad areas whereever you go. Good luck to you.
Judy

Old 01-24-2008, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Why would you not get a license??? Driving in upstate is a lot easier than driving in NYC if that is part of your fear...

I don't know - Kingston is not a desireable city to start with, then you having no personal transportation??? Sounds like a bad move to me. You are going to find yourself with a whole seperate set of problems without a car as taxis are not as common, not good with helping disabled people, and I doubt Kingston's rates are very reasonable. Then if you want to go anywhere it is a 20 minute drive or taxi fare...I would NOT advise walking around some parts of Kingston alone either.

Kingston has moved ahead of Newburgh in the Hudson Valley area as far as crime goes. And I know a few guys from Brooklyn (Canarcie) and the Bronx who do not like those areas because they are slummy.

Either get a license and move to a nicer area in "upstate" Orange or Ulster area or stay in NYC, that would be my advice!

I am familiar with the area for 24 years BTW.

Hello winnie

Could You please get info for me where can I get driver licence?
I mean telephone number to the office or best way internet page.
I am not american it's hard to find up anything for me. My supervisor reguiered for me NY state licence before I can get job in USA (New Paltz).
Please help)))

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,421,181 times
Here's some information, there's links you can click on to see specifically what you want.

NYS DMV - Driver's Manual - On-line Driver's Manual and Study Guide

Hope this helps

Old 01-26-2008, 08:13 PM

4 posts, read 9,795 times
Default City of Kingston

I recently moved west of Kingston, but have lived and worked there for
years. I currently assist elderly friends who do not drive and who live in Kingston. The disabled bus is great if you make an appointment a week in advance and are not "too terribly disabled". My friends complain often about the rudeness of the public transportation service. The grocery stores are within walking distance for some, but the pedestrian traffic is dangerous.

Very few people will tell you that almost half the population in the city of Kingston is on social services. The jobs created by the social service and mental health sector is enormous. People come from other parts of the county and from out-of-county to receive benefits.

It was just reported on the radio that a person renting a 1 bedroom apartment in Kingston needs to make 37,000 dollars AFTER taxes.

The drug task force is diligent about the drug/gang activity yet there are parts of Kingston unsafe after dark, period. I worked in the city of Kingston for many years and Broadway has deteriorated greatly in the last 10 years, with many vacant shops and rundown storefronts.

But if you don't go out at night, stay in the right areas, don't walk to the stores, and don't mind waiting for a taxi (and it can be a long wait at times), Kingston isn't that bad. There are plenty of summertime activities
which the city puts on for free and there are shuttle buses available.
There is a lovely theatre on Broadway which attracts excellent performers.
There are big box stores minutes away in the Town of Ulster, and there
are excellent restaurants scattered throughout the area.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,152 times
Can you/will you please suggest a place to move other than Kingston?

I am very fit, 68, like to run/walk/workout--all that stuff--and my daughter lives in Manhattan and Africa. I'm in the Lincoln, Nebraska, area, and I want to move back to New York--Kingston--and I haven't been able to get anyone I've talked to to admit to a crime/drug problem. oKAY... So I'm very happy to find your postings and the others. [I've worked in Newburgh--in the emergency room at the hospital there--interesting. but wouldn't do it again. And that was before meth, etc.] Is there a place that would be better [obviously almost any place], i want to eat organic, walk or bike most places, stay in at night, and continue being an outgoing recluse--a happy hermit. And my daughter and I can take the Peter Pan or whichever from and to Manhattan/Queens/whatver. Woodstock has a 2-year waiting list for seniors--I'm not the least bit disabled or elderly, but I am 'elderly' [barf] and low income. Help? The rest of the stuff here is just filler. Thank you for your post.

I lived there for several years, my kids went to George Washingto Elementary School, danced with Anne Hebard, and one of my sons was the first National Merit Scholar out of Kingston, High School--after he did it, others followed--cool. Besides really loving Kingston my children's ancestors owned the place, as well as Manhattan, Albany, Long Island, and most of New Jersey, so I'm looking forward to doing more research there than I can do in Nebraska. I've lived in all kinds of scaggy places, including a summer as a cook and ride jock in a carnival after i got robbed at the Atlanta Greyhound station. However, having been around, I'm not interested in having any more adventures--Salt Lake City was really bad--really nice apartment between the drug dealer and the pimps, out in the desert even worse.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:57 PM

439 posts, read 357,370 times
Default Mr. Gibbons-Duncan

...You're looking for New Paltz.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM

11 posts, read 19,652 times
8ny updates on the quality of life in Kingston since the last post in Feb 2008?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York