Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:20 AM

94 posts, read 246,948 times

Advertisements

Is Valley Cottage like a boring suburban outpost? If we want Nyack would we be unhappy w/ the feel of Valley Cottage?

We've been wanting to move to Nyack. We like that there are lots of people in the arts, it's liberal and it seems like a lively place to live. I think people that would be attracted to Nyack are people ( I know- who know really) that I'd like as my neighbors.

Well, we might not be able to find what we're looking for in Nyack bc we'd like more outdoor space so we're looking at Valley Cottage.

BUT, when I look at the houses there, they're so dull. How can I say this? Does this reflect who lives there in general? Or are they primarily like us: people who want to be in or near Nyack but want more space and can't afford Nyack prices?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Oh dear, I just reread this post and it really sounds awful.

What I'd like to know is whether Valley Cottage is a much more conservative an area.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Valley Cottage is just another suburban bump in the lansdscape of Rockland County. As with most areas the roads need work, the town look tired and the taxes will kill you...just my flippant opinion.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:40 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
If you like Nyack...why not look into Piermont as well...a much better area and alot safer..but like stated earlier...the taxes will kill ya

Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 AM

I thought the taxes killed you across the river and Rockland was better. Not so much?

Old 12-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
I thought the taxes killed you across the river and Rockland was better. Not so much?
Afraid not and you have a more challenging commute to the city than Westchester..

Old 12-04-2010, 02:09 PM

We don't have to commute. Just into the city maybe once or twice a week at non prime hours so that's not an issue.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:31 PM

@rusty78 we are looking at Piermont although there's not so much available. (under 550k) We're looking at all river towns that have a lovely town center. We'll be moving out from CA in the spring and will most likely rent for a year to get to know the area we want to live in.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Glad the commutes not an issue. Mind boggling that 1/2 a million to spend and there isn't much to choose from. I guess compared to CA this is normal??

Old 12-05-2010, 03:06 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,218,285 times
Question Resale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
@rusty78 we are looking at Piermont although there's not so much available. (under 550k) We're looking at all river towns that have a lovely town center. We'll be moving out from CA in the spring and will most likely rent for a year to get to know the area we want to live in.
As in any area you might pick....unless you are planning on dieing in your next home you should be looking at the schools first......for Rockland County is basically a bedroom community where most residents travel out of the county to work......and home values are based on the schools...

Unless you have been to Rockland and know where you want to live...I would consider staying at an extended stay hotel...this will give you some time to look the area over before you sign a lease and find yourself stuck in an area you do not like...there is one in Nanuet that takes pets that is well centered in Rockland...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York