Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 04:54 PM

197 posts, read 636,284 times

Advertisements

Its pretty much just like every area of Rockland,.. Suburban Sprawl... However it is very close to Nyack. I cant think of anything bad about Valley Cottage.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:18 PM

94 posts, read 246,948 times
That's good to know about the extended stay hotel. There really aren't many places to stay around Nyack.

We did come out and stayed in Grandview for 5 days. We liked it.

We have an 11 yo but schools won't be an issue which makes it a bit easier. I think we'd be happy in Nyack but I wonder whether the lack of houses for rent around or under 3k is bc of the taxes or bc I"m looking in Nov when most are not renting anyway.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM

94 posts, read 246,948 times
@Met Which brings me back to my question about who lives in these suburban sprawls, esp Valley Cottage. Do I rely on my preconceived ideas of middle of the road conservatives, or is the proximity to Nyack a mitigating influence?

Old 12-06-2010, 06:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonno23 View Post
@Met Which brings me back to my question about who lives in these suburban sprawls, esp Valley Cottage. Do I rely on my preconceived ideas of middle of the road conservatives, or is the proximity to Nyack a mitigating influence?
"Nyacks influence" as you put it is non existant. People moving to the county have 3 criteria, cost of the home, schools, and commute to the city. There is a pervasive mentality that if you need "real" medical attention you go to the city, shopping, culture etc go to the city. Rockland is a bedroom community with good schools, thats it. Nyack is nice, probally more open than many of the towns towards non-standard lifestyles. There greatest asset, the river appears to be all but ignored.

Don't get me wrong it's nice to live there but don't think it has any influence outside it's own boundries.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,104 times
There is more to Valley Cottage than simply being close to Nyack and the thruway. Yes the yards are a lot more spacious but that isn't all. We have all the benefits of the Clarkstown Parks programs with all the diversity and culture that Nyack has to offer in our schools. There is a new bike path on the boarder of Congers and Valley Cottage around picturesque Congers Lake passing by Fisherman and Crew teams as you ride around. We have Rockland Lake to take a boat out on or bike around. The town has new brick lined sidewalks with new lamp posts (making it feel more quaint) as well as a new Gazebo in a passive park that our school is making plans to utilize for music and festivals. We also have our own Farmers market every Sunday in the summer. The people aren't boring but it's a suburb so they are more settled in a family routine as compared to the excitement of single life in the city. Most are dual income middle class families. Very safe neighborhoods and while I am friendly with my neighbors, I don't feel like they are in my business.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:31 PM

211 posts, read 431,239 times
I always liked Valley Cottage its just the affordability thats an issue as I cant believe the taxes and the prices of the homes even after the "Great Recession" in that area in general but still one of the nicer places to call home in the county
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York