Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 37,268 times

Advertisements

hi folks i need some help!

i have already been to an affordble housg interview and submitted all documentation. bcuz of my late payment history they terminated the application process.

i had certain circumstances (eg medical ) that slowed me down. although my bills were in arrears i payed them. i have appealed with documentation.

what are my chances and any other advise?

thanx

medwood
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Wow..I am glad to see the screening process for these new affordable housing developments is working! The goal is to get working/middle class people that are responsible into these developments, and to keep those with bad credit, history of late payments/irresponsibility, non-working, etc out.

It is unfortunate that you had problems due to medical problems, but I think the most important fact is that you have evidence to support that although you went through a rough patch, you paid all your arrears (hopefully in a timely manner). Were you subsequently evicted? Did these arrears go into collection and then you subsequently settled by paying a smaller amount? If any of these are the case you are likely not to get into the new affordable housing, however they may work with you if you keep on top of them

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM

thanx sobroguy!

yea everything was payed and without any legal/court/collections/eviction issues.

stay cool

medwood

Old 05-14-2010, 03:25 PM

hi sobro

i have a question 4 u..u seem "sober" (sobro) and knowledgeable:

whats the home interview like (if i get there at this point )..any tips?

thanx

wood

Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 31,110 times
Sobroguy, I am NOT sure what you mean by "Working Middle Class people into these developments" Do you know that these "Developments" also has space for low income as well? These Developments come into our communities, receive HUGE tax breaks from the Government and EXCLUDE residents that are working class people. In this day and age NOT everyone has clean credit, and there are some "working class" people that have "stumble" and have since regain their footing...so to speak. A lot of these Developments are RACIST, and find ways to discard people of color from some of these Developments! Good working people that applied and have been denied because their salaries were mis-calculated because they work different hours than the regular population. They use these low lives who conduct the interviews. They look down on others because they are jealous that the other person got in and they could NOT!! So before you go sounding off at the mouth, I would be VERY careful how I speak!

Old 11-09-2010, 03:30 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
These developments, like all NYC affordable developments, have some units reserved for those that are low income. They do not "come into your community"..they are developed with community board approval, and are financed through the city with reputable builders that typically specialize in affordable housing across the country. The only time they exclude anyone is when they don't meet the criteria.

If you make too much or too little money, or have bad credit, that's not racism, that's simply not meeting the criteria for these developments. It is unfortunate that you believe people are racist because you do not meet the criteria, but I, as a resident in a community which started the push for affordable housing in the early 90s (Southern Bronx), am very happy to see they are simply not repeating the same mistakes as the housing projects..i.e. simply dumping anyone/homeless/convicts etc. The affordable housing initiative is specifically tailored to the working/middle income population who are leaving NYC. In order to retain this population, and to provide them high qualilty, safe housing, the city has very stringent criteria, and many people just don't meet them, whether it is bad credit, late payments, too high/too low salary, etc.

Jealousy, racism, or any other such excuses don't factor into the equation. In fact, most of these affordable housing buildings are built in neighborhoods that are predominantly people of color, and local residents have preference over others. So if anything, people of color are more likely to earn a spot than anyone else.

I suspect you will not care what I have to say Hard working resident, but this should serve as a clarification for those seeking affordable housing in the city.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 PM

54 posts, read 110,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Working Resident View Post
Sobroguy, I am NOT sure what you mean by "Working Middle Class people into these developments" Do you know that these "Developments" also has space for low income as well? These Developments come into our communities, receive HUGE tax breaks from the Government and EXCLUDE residents that are working class people. In this day and age NOT everyone has clean credit, and there are some "working class" people that have "stumble" and have since regain their footing...so to speak. A lot of these Developments are RACIST, and find ways to discard people of color from some of these Developments! Good working people that applied and have been denied because their salaries were mis-calculated because they work different hours than the regular population. They use these low lives who conduct the interviews. They look down on others because they are jealous that the other person got in and they could NOT!! So before you go sounding off at the mouth, I would be VERY careful how I speak!
I'm sorry Hard Working Resident but you sound like a biter, angry person who's been denied apartments one too many times. Hence your angry rant. You probably got denied because you had bad credit or had a criminal history and/or housing court history or whatever else, not because you're black or because they are racist as you claim. You simply didn't meet their rental criteria. End of story. Get over it. To you it's not a big deal what you did when you were younger that tainted your record but to them it is. They have the right to deny you if you can't meet their rental criteria. Which obviously you didn't.

I agree with Sobro in that its a good thing that these rental companies are doing thorough background checks on all these applicants in order to maintain a desirable building. I mean these new buildings cost millions upon millions of dollars to build, the last thing you want is to rent to potential trouble makers and low lives that will vandalize and destroy this new beautiful complex.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:37 PM

82 posts, read 191,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeBXguy View Post
I'm sorry Hard Working Resident but you sound like a biter, angry person who's been denied apartments one too many times. Hence your angry rant. You probably got denied because you had bad credit or had a criminal history and/or housing court history or whatever else, not because you're black or because they are racist as you claim. You simply didn't meet their rental criteria. End of story. Get over it. To you it's not a big deal what you did when you were younger that tainted your record but to them it is. They have the right to deny you if you can't meet their rental criteria. Which obviously you didn't.

I agree with Sobro in that its a good thing that these rental companies are doing thorough background checks on all these applicants in order to maintain a desirable building. I mean these new buildings cost millions upon millions of dollars to build, the last thing you want is to rent to potential trouble makers and low lives that will vandalize and destroy this new beautiful complex.
In Hard working Residents comment he or she never said that they were black they just said "people of color" why would you assume he or she is black?? A spanish or indian person could be considered people of color. Also everyone has their own opinion base upon their experience or someone they may know. Calling someone names and telling them to get over it is unnecessary. Not very mature either. I personally feel bad for Hard Working Resident but thats my OWN personally opinion and I won't say that anyone else who disagrees with me is wrong but just their opinion thats it; nothing more or less to it. Secondly, you don't know what Hard Working Resident is eligible for so being disrespectful online is lame and not cool. To prove a point doesn't mean that you have to insult or put someone down to do it.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelsquare View Post
In Hard working Residents comment he or she never said that they were black they just said "people of color" why would you assume he or she is black?? A spanish or indian person could be considered people of color. Also everyone has their own opinion base upon their experience or someone they may know. Calling someone names and telling them to get over it is unnecessary. Not very mature either. I personally feel bad for Hard Working Resident but thats my OWN personally opinion and I won't say that anyone else who disagrees with me is wrong but just their opinion thats it; nothing more or less to it. Secondly, you don't know what Hard Working Resident is eligible for so being disrespectful online is lame and not cool. To prove a point doesn't mean that you have to insult or put someone down to do it.
I thank you for positively standing up for me!! ConservativeBXguy immediately came up with a "profile" of me and immediately began assinating my character as if they knew me personally! This leads me to believe that this person ConservativeBXguy is a COWARD hiding behind a Moniker!! Not only is he a COWARD!! He is a Cyber Bully!!! Which leads me to also believe that he has a "personal" stake in this Webpage...e.g. "Housing-Worker/Decision/Maker" I NEVER disclosed my ethnic background nor did I mention age! He and SOBRO are one and the SAME!! If they are going to give advice on a City Web Forum, I believe that they should have teh proper decorum to be impartial and conduct themselves in a manner that is befitting of "Senior Member".

Old 01-10-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeBXguy View Post

SHAME SHAME SHAME ON YOU!!! ConservativeBXguy Who gives you the right to talk me down? You were so eager to surmise that I was BLACK! or that I had a Criminal History and the list goes on and on... What you've done is given the world an in-sight to the mind of a "BIGOT" Thank you for proving my case for me!! I am NOT here to convert anyone, but to simply state my case! For your information, and I am sorry to disapoint you, but I am happy to announce I have stellar credit, NO CRIMINAL HISTORY!!! and have NEVER been EVICTED!! Now you take that to the BANK!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City