Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times

Advertisements

I have a job interview for for an elementary teacher in the Morrisiana area in the Bronx. I'm a little nervous about the area. I'll put a link to where exactly it is below. Now, I obviously know this is the south Bronx and not too good of an area. I'm 23 with blonde hair, blue eyes, about 110 pounds. Family have been saying that it's not good for a girl like me to be working there. But a job is a job, especially for teaching, which are difficult to get to begin with (Many new teachers have to work in dumpy areas anyway). My boyfriend's dad worked in this general area and he said not to take the subway. I'm taking the subway on Friday for the interview, but if I get the job, I would be driving (I'm moving to Queens, and my town will only be 10 miles away), most likely.

I believe I have good street smarts and common sense when it comes to being in a bad area, so I just want you all to know that, since someone is bound to say that I just need street smarts. But is it REALLY a bad area I would need to stay away from, like turn down a job offer? What streets in this area should I stay away from? The star is where the school is. Any advice would be helpful, thanks

here's the map of where it is:

Map of 968 Cauldwell Ave Bronx, NY by MapQuest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:22 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,895 times
That is a really bad neighborhood but you shouldn't have much trouble in the day. Remember you aren't the only White teacher and as time passes people in the area will be familiar with your face. It's not like your going out at night to hang out on the street, you are just coming and going with no stops in between.

My biggest concern would be violent students since that is an inner city school in a rough area. You will see what I mean when you start.

And unfortunately that area has no subway access near by. You will have to take a bus from the train. I wouldn't do that walk as a White female. Men in these areas can be "pushy" if you are attractive. The subway and buses are also packed with rowdy kids in the day so if you do take the train just keep an eye open. Don't fall asleep with the iPod. So if taking the subway, hop on the bus after, don't walk.

As for bad blocks, that whole area is pretty bad. However the worst of it is just east of the school in the housing projects. You have the Forest and McKinley PJ's. The west is just pretty bombed out and empty. Honestly as a teacher I can't see you having too many problems.

Good luck, hopefully those crazy kids will learn something.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 PM

I went to hopstop and it says it's about a 10 minute walk from the subway. I walk pretty fast, so I could make it in about 6-7 minutes probably.

So should I really not take the subway? I don't know the bus system at all in the city, just the subway. It says I can take the 2 from Penn station to Prospect Avenue.

Would I really be better off driving? I know the highways and bridges fairly well, but never been on the Triborough.

So my ultimate question is this: How is the parking there? would it be better to find a parking spot (when I don't know the area at all), walking around to find the school, as opposed to taking the subway and walking to the school?

Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I went to hopstop and it says it's about a 10 minute walk from the subway. I walk pretty fast, so I could make it in about 6-7 minutes probably.

So should I really not take the subway? I don't know the bus system at all in the city, just the subway. It says I can take the 2 from Penn station to Prospect Avenue.

Would I really be better off driving? I know the highways and bridges fairly well, but never been on the Triborough.

So my ultimate question is this: How is the parking there? would it be better to find a parking spot (when I don't know the area at all), walking around to find the school, as opposed to taking the subway and walking to the school?
I know that area well, I used to work in the 42nd Precinct and hung out there growing up. That walk is up a HILL from the train station. If you walk fast it will take about 15 mins.

This is how you take the train to this location, the school is located on E 163rd Street and Cauldwell. You have to get off at INTERVALE AVENUE from the 2 train. Not Prospect, that is a longer walk. You walk west along E 163rd Street until you reach Cauldwell Ave. The school will be on the right/north. Avoid walking through the public housing in the area as a shortcut (not the streets, the grounds themselves). You will figure out why.

The alternative is to hop on the Bx6 bus, it's right under the Intervale Avenue train station. Take it west, up the hill.

As for driving, doesn't that school have a lot? If not I wouldn't make a habit parking on the street. Kids vandalize, car theives, people sitting on your car selling drugs/hang out. The parking in the area is pretty bad too, hard to find a spot. I think after taking the subway/bus a few times you will prefure to drive, but for now take the train to get familiar with the route.

Last edited by Hustla718; 06-06-2007 at 11:23 PM..

Old 06-20-2007, 07:27 AM

I'm an elementary teacher, not middle school.

There were teachers just like me working in the school.

I would rather have a job than be unemployed.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:18 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,371,883 times
Yeah I wouldn't listen to that guy. You need to build up your resume first. If that means taking a job in a crummy area, then you're probably gotta do that for a couple of years before you can move up the ladder. Nobody starts at the top (unless they're a trust fund-baby living in Williamsburg), so you have to start somewhere.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 PM

Thank you very much, you're exactly right.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:25 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Good luck with that job if you get it. That's a pretty bad area unfortunately.

The good thing is your an elementary school teacher. Depending on the class you might get smarter kids and they might not be too bad.

If I were you, I would look into driving. It sounds like a rough commute using public transportation. I'm assuming you'll get to the school early in the morning, so it should be easier to find parking, and they might have a lot as well.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,205,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Oh please don't start with the whole liberal/conservative crap.

Her case is just plain simple supply/demand economics. In New York the demand for teachers is in the crappiest areas. In Long Island there just isn't as much of a demand for teachers and it is not that easy for someone new to come in.
and that part of the bronx is one of the crappiest, I moved away from there about 40 years ago, it was bad then, it is worse now, but believe it or not it is better than it was 15 years ago.
Nonetheless it is not a place I would voluntarily go to on a daily basis.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:30 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,676,373 times
Do y'all have a job lined up for Miss Rachel? No, then be quiet!

Folk who leave an area 40 years ago are experts in that area now! OK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: