Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:44 PM

3 posts, read 25,683 times

Advertisements

Im looking for a one bedroom in Queens close to the city. Preferably somewhere around Woodside/Astoria/Sunnyside or maybe by Queens Center Mall. Im a paralegal fixed salary great references, trying to go to Law School next year so i good nice place to relax after work and school would be great, ive lived in Woodside don't mind the 7 train but do not want to live somewhere that includes a 1+ hr commute and 2 buses. What are my chances of finding a nice place? This would be my first apartment. Any suggestions/comments greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,166,579 times
That's a tall order - a one bedroom apartment for under $1000. I suppose it's possible. What about a studio apartment?

Generally, under $1000 will get you a basement studio in these parts. It's possible it might get you a studio in a coop apt building where rent prices are usually a bit lower than in apt bldgs, but in coops there can be other things to deal with like individual owners, building fees, board approvals and possibly non-renewable leases that run out after 2 years. (Though coop buildings can also be in better condition due to mainly owners living there.)

Suggest you try Elmhurst and East Elmhurst. If you know Queens, you know these areas do not border one another. In East Elmhurst it's possible that there may be some lower rents to be found in the area that is across Northern blvd in the 70st streets -- say 74th St and 30th Ave. These would most likely be apartments in homes. The area is sleepy, but it is still very walkable to the 74th St. subway hub.

Regular (non-east) Elmhurst can be a good bargain as it has extremely good transportation to Manhattan but is mainly an immigrant area, so sometime people tend to overlook it.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,166,579 times
also try Rego Park and Kew Gardens near the trains.

Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 PM

3 posts, read 25,683 times
I know its a tall order but since im not in a hurry to move i figure it's worth a shot to look around before i settle for a studio apartment or if i get into Brooklyn Law i'll probably end up moving closer to the school, even though i've lived in Queens for most of my life and i would like to stay here. Thanks for the input tho, i might look into Forest Hills/Rego Park area, i hate the commute Downtown (where my office is) but for a nice not tiny box to live in i'll put up with it!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 39,906 times
I agree, that is a tough order. But you never know in this market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City