Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 8,694 times

Advertisements

Love and miss the culture. Don't miss the noise (which I didn't even notice while I lived there for more than 13 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM

624 posts, read 1,121,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
Milkdrinker have you ever been to Daniel, Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Blue Hill, Per Se, Le Bernardin etc etc? I could go forever of the endless world renowned restaurants. NYC is typically regarded as second only to Paris with regards to food. Also McDonalds isn't exactly what one regards as culinary excellence. I'm not even sure why I felt the need to respond if this was the example you have used multiple times.

You also felt the need to critique the U.S. as a whole regarding food. I hate to break it to you, but US cuisine isn't defined by McDonalds. Go to Boston and Seattle for some of the best seafood in the world. Go to New Orleans and try to tell me that the cajun/creole cuisine doesn't delight. Or Nashville/Austin/Dallas for BBQ. Again I think you judging US cuisine off of McD's is unfair and quite frankly ignorant.

Also regarding roads.....cities like Paris, London, Rome, Dublin etc...don't have any better roads than NYC. I've been there and it is much of the same regarding road quality.
I don't want to continue arguing. I was comparing average restaurants from Queens and Brooklyn affordable to most of the New Yorkers (and where the majority of them eat) to average restaurants from Zurich, Romanshorn, Lucerne, Bucharest, Brasov or other places where I lived. I'm not saying anything about the high end restaurants because most of the people don't eat there! And yes I have no problem saying that the food in the US is tasteless and usually poorly cooked because all the americans I met in Europe agree with me. This doesn't mean that all the restaurants in NYC are bad but if you go in 10 random places in 7-8 you'll get bad food! In Chicago I found pretty good food but that's probably because I prefer eastern European cuisine.
My cousins in Atlanta had problems (for almost 1 year until they got used to it) eating anything but sea food and Turkish food because everything was so tasteless there.

Regarding the roads Rome can't be considered a city... actually yes, Rome is worst than NYC ... it's considered Europe's trash can. But you won't see in Paris or London roads as bad as in NYC! I'm not saying that you won't find a bad road... you won't find them downtown. And also you won't find that many dirty streets.

I want to ask the NYers how many of them will like to swim in Hudson River? Because here in CH I can swim in any lake or river without any fear and without seeing all that trash! NYC is the dirtiest city in the Western World (Italy is not part of the western world... they are 3rd world as far as I'm concerned).

They say that NYC has a lot of opportunities and you can't do anything in it. Ok... I'm an engineer... how many jobs are there for industrial/manufacturing engineers? Not too many! And usually pay so little that you won't be able to live in NYC.

Also they say that "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere". I would like to see some NYers managing a manufacturing plant in central/eastern Europe (they have to speak German for that so 90% are disqualified from the beginning!). Less than 5% of NYers will be able to live more than 1 month anywhere in Central/Eastern Europe.

Other thing that I dislike about NYC is that is too much poverty there that sometimes you think that you are in a 3rd world country!

I really can't think of something that I liked about NYC... probably the flea markets (I found some great deals there) but that's not enough!

Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,498,430 times
1. Convenient public transportation, since I don't drive, it's a great thing to have.
2. Having access to lots of stores, anything you need is usually close by.

Dislikes:
1. As much as I like the option of having public transportation, riding it can be a real drag, so that is why I am planning on getting my license very soon. Rush hour commuting has really made me hate it more than I used to.
2. Crowds, pretty much everywhere you go in the city. It's hard to find a relaxing spot to just chill. I find myself in a constant state of anxiety, and that's while taking Xanax! LOL. I went to Central Park a few months ago with my BF and thought it would be a nice relaxing day, and it turned out to be a crowded mess, and I hate to wait over 20 minutes on line to use the bathroom. For that, I will go to a night club or bar.
3. Weather. Pretty much sucks 9 months out of the year here. People get ectastic over one nice day here because it will probably rain for 5 days straight, and then be nice for 1 day.
4. Cost of living. TOO HIGH in every way.
5. Rudeness. Now, there are some lovely people here, but for the most part, I notice a real sense of bitterness and hostility from people as I walk around. Those who aren't rude just seem beaten down by life and unhappy. When I visit somewhere else, I am always astounded at how nice and relaxed everyone seems.
6. Dirty! Enough said.

As you can see, my dislikes far outweigh my likes, so that's why I am getting out of here soon. BUT NYC is a great city, but it's just not for everyone. When I was in my late teens and early 20s, I thought this was the only place on earth I could ever live in. Now, in my mid-30s, I feel very, very different.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:35 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
I don't want to continue arguing. I was comparing average restaurants from Queens and Brooklyn affordable to most of the New Yorkers (and where the majority of them eat) to average restaurants from Zurich, Romanshorn, Lucerne, Bucharest, Brasov or other places where I lived. I'm not saying anything about the high end restaurants because most of the people don't eat there! And yes I have no problem saying that the food in the US is tasteless and usually poorly cooked because all the americans I met in Europe agree with me. This doesn't mean that all the restaurants in NYC are bad but if you go in 10 random places in 7-8 you'll get bad food! In Chicago I found pretty good food but that's probably because I prefer eastern European cuisine.
My cousins in Atlanta had problems (for almost 1 year until they got used to it) eating anything but sea food and Turkish food because everything was so tasteless there.

Regarding the roads Rome can't be considered a city... actually yes, Rome is worst than NYC ... it's considered Europe's trash can. But you won't see in Paris or London roads as bad as in NYC! I'm not saying that you won't find a bad road... you won't find them downtown. And also you won't find that many dirty streets.

I want to ask the NYers how many of them will like to swim in Hudson River? Because here in CH I can swim in any lake or river without any fear and without seeing all that trash! NYC is the dirtiest city in the Western World (Italy is not part of the western world... they are 3rd world as far as I'm concerned).

They say that NYC has a lot of opportunities and you can't do anything in it. Ok... I'm an engineer... how many jobs are there for industrial/manufacturing engineers? Not too many! And usually pay so little that you won't be able to live in NYC.

Also they say that "if you can make it there you can make it anywhere". I would like to see some NYers managing a manufacturing plant in central/eastern Europe (they have to speak German for that so 90% are disqualified from the beginning!). Less than 5% of NYers will be able to live more than 1 month anywhere in Central/Eastern Europe.

Other thing that I dislike about NYC is that is too much poverty there that sometimes you think that you are in a 3rd world country!

I really can't think of something that I liked about NYC... probably the flea markets (I found some great deals there) but that's not enough!
I think the majority of the world would rather not live in Eastern Europe so you can take it. I hate to break it to you, but Eastern Europe doesn't exactly have a great reputation other than being a dumping ground for ex-Soviets.

Rehashing the whole food thing I guess if you aren't use to spices or flavor then you would have trouble adapting to food here. Europe as a whole enjoys rather bland dishes. Even French food sometimes has a tendency to not have much in the realm of spice or flavor (not saying I don't love French food, but lets be real here).

Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM

43 posts, read 82,949 times
The diversity of people, cultures, neighborhoods, religions, food, accents, etc. etc.
The PIZZA!
Brooklyn!
Late Show With David Letterman
Regis & Kelly
Duane Reade (also listed in dislikes)
Thousands and thousands of restaurants, eateries, diners, bakeries, etc.
Transportation is convenient and 24/7 mostly
Shopping everywhere for every income level
Convenient access to stores, food.
Liveliness of the streets (depending on what street, borough, 'hood)
Brooklyn Bridge!
Empire State Building!
Iconic skyscrapers
Art Deco architecture
Rich and poor can live within blocks of each other
The entire skyline (so welcoming when returning from out of town)
Nightlife (though I don't go out at night if I don't have to heh)
Fall in NYC is the BEST time of year
Holiday time in NYC can be fun and so pretty
The giant Christmas tree at Rockefella Plaza!
Thanksgiving day parade
Parades galore
Ball drop in Times Square
Easter parade up 5th Ave
42nd St
Ritzy shops on upper 5th Ave
The history
Brooklyn!
Architecture
Museums/culture/the arts
Central Park!!!
Prospect Park!!!
World Trade Center (past, present and future)
Parks galore, big and small
Libraries big and small
Broadway
Times Square
Yankees!!!
Yankee Stadium!!!
Williamsburg!
Greenpoint!
Tons of free things to do if you look
Brooklyn!
Coney Island!
Street food!
Brooklyn!
NYFD
Still gritty neighborhoods
Johnny pumps (fire hydrants, kids cooling off in the summertime)
Bike lanes
Less bigotted people than other areas of the country
Movies/TV show filming constantly
Quiet pockets of peace everywhere if you know where to look
J & R Music world (it's still ours)
FAO Schwarz
Rockefeller Plaza - what a hubub of activity and life!
Rockefeller Plaza skating rink - what a glorious site around the holidays!
A million things to do and see
Safest big city in the USA
Did I mention Brooklyn?!

I could go on and on...

Dislikes

Crowds
Herald Square/Times Square at the Holidays are a nightmare, stay away
Noise polution
Gun violence in certain 'hoods
Inconsiderate, aggesssive, pushy people with attitudes
People who don't know how to walk
Expensive real estate/renting
Subways/buses are convenient while they also can be aggravating
Weather - Personal opinion is Summer in NYC is the WORST time of the year. But I can put up with a few month of that for fall and winter...yay. It's so worth it.
"Luxury condos", greedy developers
Homeless people
Dirty, disgusting subway stations, elevators
Rudy cashiers, token booth clerks, service people
Duane Reade (also listed in likes)

My likes far outweigh my dislikes.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:55 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Why are people still responding to MilkDrinker? According to him/her/it, Rome "isn't a city", Italy is a 3rd world country, and any cuisine that isn't Eastern European is worthless. Doesn't say much about MilkDrinker's credibility.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Why are people still responding to MilkDrinker? According to him/her/it, Rome "isn't a city", Italy is a 3rd world country, and any cuisine that isn't Eastern European is worthless. Doesn't say much about MilkDrinker's credibility.
Regarding Eastern Europe I couldn't resist to post this clip

YouTube - Eurotrip: Bratislava

Haha people are just lining up to move there!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:24 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Regarding Eastern Europe I couldn't resist to post this clip

YouTube - Eurotrip: Bratislava

Haha people are just lining up to move there!
Oh god, that guy looks like my German neighbor!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:44 PM

185 posts, read 457,587 times
Quote:
I concur.

As a commuter to NYC (only for now!) here's my list of likes and dislikes...

• AMAZING food where you'd least expect it to be
  • The sights and sounds
  • The winter holidays!! They make the city absolutely stunning.
  • I can get pretty much whatever I want, when I want.
  • The variety of people/races/cultures you name it!
  • The Yankees
  • The fact that I can go anywhere in the world from JFK or the train stations
DISLIKES
  • Nasty attitudes some people have (mostly working in stores/cheap restaurants)
  • The crazy people bugging everyone on the subways
  • Broadway from 32nd St - 45th St (or anywhere near Times Square and Herald Square)
  • The insane masses of people all the time.
  • Everyone exiting the E train at 53rd & Fifth like a STAMPEDE!

Old 08-26-2010, 08:56 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Exactly! It's not about bad roads or bad food. It's not even about NYC.

I read MilkDrinker's posts in other threads. He bashes everything US. According to him, US is the worst country in the world. After I responded to his posts, he even sent me a DM with his stupid pictures of NYC roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City