Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:54 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,682,287 times

Advertisements

LOVE:
1. The variety of people, shopping, food, culture--you name it, you can experience it here.
2. The subway system. In comparison to other systems in the world, its flaws are few.
3. The ease of transportation. One can literally go anywhere in the world right from their home city (and without owning a car!)
4. The NYPD. They're not always there right when you need them, but when they are, it's awesome. Plus some of those guys are bionic!

HATE:
1. People who are still trying very hard to make certain neighborhoods unsafe and undesirable places to live.
2. Fare hiking. >
3. Tourists and other people in Manhattan who walk incredibly slow, as if they don't know what city they're in. Also couples who walk at a snail's pace as if 34th St. is their own private beach.
4. Taxes are kind of high compared to other places. But hey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,686,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
In United States probably! Those roads were something new for me! I never seen something like that before I visited US.

What part of it? Probably the awful food is not something specific to NYC but to United States even tough I found some pretty good restaurants in Chicago. In NYC it's not just the food but the insalubrious look of most of the restaurants and fast foods too. In Europe McDonald's has very very clean places but there were kind of dirty.

Well, if you were eating at Mcdonalds-esque restaurants in NYC, then you shouldn't even be giving an opinion on restaurants in the city. NY is known to be the best city for food in the country, one of the best in the world. You don't even say where you live, which I'm not surprised by one bit.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,523,471 times
Like-
1. The fact that things actually happen in NYC. You can walk down the street and see a film being shot. Or stand near the red carpet at an awards show. Or have the President pass by the street you live on.
2. Easy access to pretty much anything you need at any hour.
3. Broadway shows.
4. The buildings, the skyline, the lights..
5. The food!

Dislike-
1. Although the subways and buses are life-savers and the only way I get around mostly, I just don't enjoy it. I'm not a fan of using public transportation.
2. Lack of space to just relax. I'm sure this would be better if I had my own apartment, but sharing a dorm with 5 other girls made Manhattan living even more hectic.
3. How expensive everything is. Unless I shop at Trader Joe's, which is a major schlep from where I lived last year and where I'll be living in a week, groceries are ridiculous.
4. Guys that whistle/make comments on the street. I don't know why they feel the need to do this to women.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:28 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,456,592 times
Regarding the roads, there are some areas that have problems, but then there are areas in the five boroughs, like parts of Riverdale, with multi-million dollar houses that are on rutted, patched roads. They are actually preferred because they help to keep the speed down on residential side streets, and they discourage idle traffic from following the roads -- most cars/trucks have a purpose using the roads in the area.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-25-2010, 10:14 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,850,282 times
I do not like the fact that someone peed in the entry way to my building. I live next door to the police station for christ sakes! This is supposed to be a nice part of town!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:47 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,717,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I do not like the fact that someone peed in the entry way to my building. I live next door to the police station for christ sakes! This is supposed to be a nice part of town!
Maybe it was a dog who know lol.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,850,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Maybe it was a dog who know lol.
Trust me it wasn't a dog. Someone saw it happen. And when I mean entry way, I mean you have to open the door before the buzzer door.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:54 AM

624 posts, read 1,123,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, if you were eating at Mcdonalds-esque restaurants in NYC, then you shouldn't even be giving an opinion on restaurants in the city. NY is known to be the best city for food in the country, one of the best in the world. You don't even say where you live, which I'm not surprised by one bit.
I'm a German living in Switzerland who's now in Romania for a few weeks. Romania has better food than any place in America!
I didn't eat at McDonals-esque restaurants in NYC but I compared it because here is a clean and respectable place!
Anyway... I travel 3 months/year in different countries because of my job and so far US had the worst food in the World (tasteless and poorly cooked!)

Old 08-26-2010, 03:21 AM

37 posts, read 76,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkDrinker View Post
I'm a German living in Switzerland who's now in Romania for a few weeks. Romania has better food than any place in America!
You can't be serious. I used to travel to Germany once a month for work, Hamburg and Munich. The quality was very average. Your point might well be applied to a lot of the US, but NY has some of the beat dining in the world.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 AM

541 posts, read 1,904,651 times
Milkdrinker have you ever been to Daniel, Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, Blue Hill, Per Se, Le Bernardin etc etc? I could go forever of the endless world renowned restaurants. NYC is typically regarded as second only to Paris with regards to food. Also McDonalds isn't exactly what one regards as culinary excellence. I'm not even sure why I felt the need to respond if this was the example you have used multiple times.

You also felt the need to critique the U.S. as a whole regarding food. I hate to break it to you, but US cuisine isn't defined by McDonalds. Go to Boston and Seattle for some of the best seafood in the world. Go to New Orleans and try to tell me that the cajun/creole cuisine doesn't delight. Or Nashville/Austin/Dallas for BBQ. Again I think you judging US cuisine off of McD's is unfair and quite frankly ignorant.

Also regarding roads.....cities like Paris, London, Rome, Dublin etc...don't have any better roads than NYC. I've been there and it is much of the same regarding road quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City