Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 AM

582 posts, read 763,277 times

Advertisements

I am going to see a room for rent on Putnam Ave. - M line in Ridgewood- Queens.

what do you think about the area? is it safe at night?
what about the M train? I hear it is very slow. will I have problems going to work? I work in midtown.

it is a room in a family house and the rent is cheap. $450 a month. I would be sharing with 4 females. all the 5 rooms are on the second floor in a family house. there is one kitchen and one bathroom. I am wondering why is it cheap and is this a good idea? or should I look somewhere else?

your thoughts?
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
i am not a fan of the area, because that area of ridgewood borders bushwick, which is a rough neighborhood. a friend of mine lived on putnam in ridgewood and she was pushed down and robbed for her cell phone outside of her building last year. so i would advise against the whole area in general. if you absolutely must live in ridgewood, then i would suggest to keep your search north of myrtle avenue and west of forest avenue.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM

thanks for the advice. I think I am lucky that I survived walking at 3 am in that area. It is a long story but I had to be in the streets on Putnam Ave at 3 am, took the M train at 3:30 am. I had no idea that it is an unsafe area.
The building on Putnam Ave is one or two block away from the M train subway station. I am not sure if that is what you consider " north of Myrtle ave"?
Thanks, SeventhFloor. I will stay away from that area. Much appreciated.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:38 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post

what about the M train? I hear it is very slow. will I have problems going to work? I work in midtown.
The M train goes only to Lower Manhattan so you will have to take a second train to get to Midtown. Also the M train becomes a shuttle train at night & on weekends between Myrtle Ave/Broadway and Middle Village/Metropolitan Ave (the last stop). So you have to switch to the J train at Myrtle Ave/Broadway to get to & from Manhattan. So the fact you have to take another train makes the ride slower.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The M train goes only to Lower Manhattan so you will have to take a second train to get to Midtown. Also the M train becomes a shuttle train at night & on weekends between Myrtle Ave/Broadway and Middle Village/Metropolitan Ave (the last stop). So you have to switch to the J train at Myrtle Ave/Broadway to get to & from Manhattan. So the fact you have to take another train makes the ride slower.

thanks, Chava. Yes, I know that I will have to take the M train then L train to 14 street then from there I will need to take the 6 train uptown.
Oh, I didn't know about the J train. is that only at night and weekends? when you say at night, do you mean after 10 pm?

Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Depends where, near Forest Avenue and Fresh Pond Road is fine, but I would advise you not to look around near Bushwick.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:58 AM

it is actually Putnam Ave near the Fresh Pond Rd train station. I am not sure where SeventhFloor's friend lived or at what time she was walking when she was robbed?

Last edited by safina1; 12-15-2009 at 06:29 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
The area near Fresh Pond Rd. train station should be okay. (I lived in that area about 10 years ago.)
The M train becomes a shuttle train from Middle Village to Myrtle Ave between 10:49PM to 5:19AM and in the other direction 11:45PM-6:02AM and in both directions all weekend long. During this time you have the option to transfer to & from the J train at the end of the route or the L train in the middle of the route.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:08 AM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safina1 View Post
it is actually Putnam Ave near the Fresh Pond Rd train station. I am not sure where SeventhFloor's friend lived or at what time she was walking when she was robbed?
putnam and knickerbocker, closer to the myrtle-wyckoff train station. fresh pond road area is safer.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-15-2009, 12:59 PM

200 posts, read 576,848 times
I lived on Madison and Fairview for a few years some time ago and then lived on Palmetto and Fresh Pond for 13 yrs. The neighborhood is nicer up by fresh pond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City