Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 25,901 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to take the subway alone during late night hours as a 20-something female? Particularly within Manhattan, and from Manhattan to Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Park Slope, Bay Ridge). Do weeknights or weekend nights make a difference? My instinct would be that this should probably be avoided, however I've seen a lot of women traveling alone at these hours and everything seems to be fine. I was just wondering about this, as I'm considering moving to Brooklyn in the future and will undoubtedly have situations where I'll be returning home after midnight. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 10:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,153,249 times
I think midnight is quite a different story than 3am. I personally think midnight feels quite safe, 1am quite safe, but 2-3am start feeling like it's more iffy. Those are just my personal feelings. You probably need to test it for yourself. If there's a time of night when you start to feel uncomfortable, that's when you take a cab. Also a big factor is how far you have to walk from the subway stop to home once you get out.

Another thing to consider is that a journey that starts at 1am in Manhattan might be over at 1:30 if you live in Wiliamsburg, but might take til 2:30 if you are going somewhere much deeper south in Brooklyn.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:55 AM

43,724 posts, read 44,495,603 times
I think that until approx. midnight in most areas is usually okay to travel by subway. But again one has to use their own commonsense/judgment on a case by case basis.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,096,951 times
As others have said,midnight or 1 am is much better then 2 or 3 but I'd rather be on the subway at 3 am than on the streets in many areas.It might not be the subway ride but the walk afterwards that will get you.
I'd put more analysis into the walk(where I'd be living in relation to the subway stop) if I knew I'd be coming home in the middle of the night with any frequency.
Always ride on the first car very late at night.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM

43,724 posts, read 44,495,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Always ride on the first car very late at night.
I suggest riding always in the car where the conductor is late at night.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 AM

52 posts, read 234,018 times
Default It's not "Safe" at any night hours...

If you are the ONE statistic that gets mugged or worse...

That being said...speaking from experience when I was young and had my ny nightlife and getting home on the train between midnight and 4am...I'd say no matter what borough or even in Manhattan...

These are some things all single women should think about...

~ Don't drink or at least don't be too out of it...you need to be alert! Wait to sober up a bit before going home if you have to go by yourself.

~ Do know some self defense including tactics and techniques which require no muscle, rather, being calm and using your brain to defeat the "brawn" of any possible attacker.

~ Do carry pepper spray and keep it in your hand in your pocket.

~ Do carry your keys in your other hand in your having them pointed out between your fingers as you hold the ring in your fist as a quick jabbing weapon should you need it. (Here I will admit to even having a little knife or leather wrist bands with some wicked spikes).

~ Do not make eye contact with anyone but if they look at you too much and you get uncomfortable like they might be planning something DO get off and change cars at the next station.(I second the idea of the other post to make sure you are in the same car as the conductor, but that does not guarantee your safety just makes the odds more in your favor)

~ Finally, if you REALLY have to come home late at night unless it's a 3 times a week habit...splurge for a cab sister!

Old 12-06-2009, 09:31 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,310,946 times
Chances are you would be ok but u can never be certain in the subway. But to be honest its not something I would want my wife or mother doing. Say what you want about owning a car, but that subway ride can be trick or treat.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,842,474 times
my rule of thumb is before midnight take the subway. But I live only 3 blocks from my stop and its a well traveled 3 blocks. it also depends what line. If i see many people walking down i usually take it.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:22 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,632,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I suggest riding always in the car where the conductor is late at night.
That is exactly what you should do. (Words of advice from a former conductor!)

And that will be in the middle of the train.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:39 AM

44 posts, read 180,752 times
these are more reasons why I do not live in NYC anymore. I feel sorry for all of you. What a way to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City