Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM

16 posts, read 185,607 times

Advertisements

Thank you to everyone who replied! I read everyones post and appreciate all your opinions.
That being said, last night around 11:30/12am I did take the J to Marcy ave stop w/ my boyfriend. It is not dangerous. I did not feel scared. There were many people on the J line at this time, including other young women who were at ease. Granted it's not as active as the L line at this time of night, but it's the first stop when you get into Brooklyn. Tomorrow I'll sign the lease.
About the whole Marcy projects thing. It's certainly not right around the corner, but you can clearly see the projects as soon as you're standing on the above-ground Marcy ave station. So it's not right there but it's also within walking distance. Even closer is a tight knit Hasidic area with really cheap places to get food.
Also, I know it's not such a huge step up from Myrtle/Wyckoff, but Myrtle/Wyckoff has 15 more sex offendenders than Marcy ave does. Just food for thought.
Again, thanks everyone : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreWhispers View Post
Thank you to everyone who replied! I read everyones post and appreciate all your opinions.
That being said, last night around 11:30/12am I did take the J to Marcy ave stop w/ my boyfriend. It is not dangerous. I did not feel scared. There were many people on the J line at this time, including other young women who were at ease. Granted it's not as active as the L line at this time of night, but it's the first stop when you get into Brooklyn. Tomorrow I'll sign the lease.
About the whole Marcy projects thing. It's certainly not right around the corner, but you can clearly see the projects as soon as you're standing on the above-ground Marcy ave station. So it's not right there but it's also within walking distance. Even closer is a tight knit Hasidic area with really cheap places to get food.
Also, I know it's not such a huge step up from Myrtle/Wyckoff, but Myrtle/Wyckoff has 15 more sex offendenders than Marcy ave does. Just food for thought.
Again, thanks everyone : )
just to reiterate, those are not marcy houses. like minus said, thats jonathan williams plaza. pretty safe for NYCHA standards. large jewish population in those projects.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-12-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
just to reiterate, those are not marcy houses. like minus said, thats jonathan williams plaza. pretty safe for NYCHA standards. large jewish population in those projects.
Ah, thank you for reminding me to mention this. When I went to sign the lease and give my deposit check earlier today, I walked over and checked out the building. It was indeed the williams plaza but I could see how people can mistake it for the projects (this building looks a bit run down, is very tall and seemed to have dozens of floors). But indeed, that is not Marcy projects and is a block away (amazing how things seem different at night compated to when you go in the middle of the day).

Edit: the only thing that really seems to suck is that I couldn't find any kind of Rite Aid, Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts, things of this nature, which they do have in my current neighborhood. I'll have to map it and look.
Again, thanks everyone!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 PM

46 posts, read 166,282 times
Quote:

Edit: the only thing that really seems to suck is that I couldn't find any kind of Rite Aid, Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts, things of this nature, which they do have in my current neighborhood. I'll have to map it and look.
Again, thanks everyone!
You generally won't find too many of those kinds of stores in the area.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,269 times
Quote:
There is a Walgreen's on Union Ave. between Meserole and Montrose, and a Duane Reade on the North Side of Williamsburg (though that's a bit of a trip). I feel like I've seen a Dunkin' Donuts somewhere, but there are definitely some good coffee shops around, either way.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Ah, thank you for reminding me to mention this. When I went to sign the lease and give my deposit check earlier today, I walked over and checked out the building. It was indeed the williams plaza but I could see how people can mistake it for the projects (this building looks a bit run down, is very tall and seemed to have dozens of floors). But indeed, that is not Marcy projects and is a block away (amazing how things seem different at night compated to when you go in the middle of the day).

Again, thanks everyone!
it is the projects

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-14-2009, 10:57 PM

19 posts, read 146,388 times
I'm a female and have been in the area at various times during the day and night. (driving and walking)
Although I've never taken the train at that stop, when walking in the area, I felt pretty safe. You will see young guys hanging out on the corner or in front of deli's but I don't think you should be bothered by that.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonwattagelimit View Post
There is a Walgreen's on Union Ave. between Meserole and Montrose, and a Duane Reade on the North Side of Williamsburg (though that's a bit of a trip). I feel like I've seen a Dunkin' Donuts somewhere, but there are definitely some good coffee shops around, either way.
Thank you for posting this info. And I do believe there may be a Dunkin' Donuts somewhere, as occassionally I notice empty Dunkin' Donut cups in the garbage cans on the street corners so I'm guessing there may be one somewhere in the area.

Also thanks GenJer, as it's important to know there are other girls who feel safe and don't feel the need to keep pepper spray at the ready! (especially since I don't get outta work till 11pm)

I've moved in and now all I need to do is call Time Warner Cable to install internet (I wanted to stay with Optimum Online, but they don't do service in my new area! Apparently they are currently doing a survey there to see if people want it).

Old 11-30-2009, 08:00 PM

149 posts, read 615,834 times
It may be a little ways away, but three stops away, at the Flushing Avenue stop, there's a Dunkin Donuts on the corner of Debevoise and Graham Avenues. Very close to the train station. I was last up there in March, so I'm not sure if there's one closer.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

5 posts, read 28,305 times
It's just a stop like any other.!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City